AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th October, 2002, 04:21 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Why won't my puter defrag?

I gave away an old IBM pentium 233 to one of my wifes frends who lives in Chicago.

She can't get her copmuter to defrag. I have told her to shut down everything except explorer and systray. She says it still just keeps restarting and won't get past 10%.

Since I can't look at the system I am at my wits end.

Any Ideas?

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th October, 2002, 04:37 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

probably a virus. I think I had the same prob once. But.... tell her to run a THOROUGH scandisk first.

Then try to defrag.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th October, 2002, 04:49 AM
Member/Contributer

Thnx
Will do.

Will report back tomarrow with results.

Anyone else got an Idea?

Old 18th October, 2002, 05:07 AM

Re: Why won't my puter defrag?

Quote:
Originally posted by Staz
I gave away an old IBM pentium 233 to one of my wifes frends who lives in Chicago.

She can't get her copmuter to defrag. I have told her to shut down everything except explorer and systray. She says it still just keeps restarting and won't get past 10%.

Since I can't look at the system I am at my wits end.

Any Ideas?
Something is probably still running in the background and writing to the disk.
Old 18th October, 2002, 06:01 AM
Member/Contributer

Get a program called wintop and install to see what is running in the background. If something is writing to the disk it will kill the defrag. Make sure she has at least 14% of the drive avail as it wont defrag without at least that much open.

If she's savvy enough to load and run VNC you should have her do it so you can log into her box and do it for her. VNC is freeware but the best Dang anywhere tool I know of.
----------------------------------------------

Old 18th October, 2002, 06:26 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Try running chkdsk in Dos, there may be a error in your file struture.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 18th October, 2002, 06:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

Try running Scandisk and Defrag in Safe Mode.

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Old 18th October, 2002, 07:08 PM
Member/Contributer

Already tried defrag in safe mode. It didn't help. She is at doctors today but tonight I will have her run scandisc thourogh (in dos mode hopefully). Thnx for all the advice. Will let you know tomarrow one way or the other.

Old 18th October, 2002, 08:49 PM

I know you can download the eval copy, try this. It's from Exacvutive Software and is the most robust derag I've ever used. I have little doubt that it will do the job. Let me know how it works. No sales job here, I bought it and absolutely love it. It's fast stable and you can schedule it as well.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 19th October, 2002, 04:42 AM
Member/Contributer

Man UB, diskeeper is one heck of a program. I got the server evaluation and that sucker can do it all. It's a little slow but it looks like it does one heck of a job.

Good link.
----------------------------------------------

Old 19th October, 2002, 05:16 AM

I found it on PC Mag (ZD Net) on their anual review of software. I really like it. I found it faster than Windoze (when it would even work!) or Norton, the 2 I had had tried previously. I set it to defrag every night at say between 3 and 4 AM and I never have to worry about it. Glad you like it!
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Old 19th October, 2002, 06:01 PM
Member/Contributer

She had win 95 on that system and her daughter did an FDisk, reformat, and complete new install of Win98se and it drfrags now. So I guess we will never know what the problem was.

Old 19th October, 2002, 08:54 PM

More than likely it was a program that was constantly writing to or accessing the drive. In that case Windoze Defrag won't work. Norton had the same problem with early versions as well. Glad all is well!

Old 19th October, 2002, 10:17 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bob
I found it on PC Mag (ZD Net) on their anual review of software. I really like it. I found it faster than Windoze (when it would even work!) or Norton, the 2 I had had tried previously. I set it to defrag every night at say between 3 and 4 AM and I never have to worry about it. Glad you like it!
The Defrag that comes with Win2K/XP is a cut down version of Diskeeper. Personally, I'm a little leery of Executive software as it's run by ppl from the chuch of scientology. I've been using O&O instead on W2K. On the OS/2 box, I don't bother defragging, as it doesn't seem to need it. Why couldn't MS do that?

AidanII
Old 19th October, 2002, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII

The Defrag that comes with Win2K/XP is a cut down version of Diskeeper. Personally, I'm a little leery of Executive software as it's run by ppl from the chuch of scientology. I've been using O&O instead on W2K. On the OS/2 box, I don't bother defragging, as it doesn't seem to need it. Why couldn't MS do that?

AidanII
What's O&O?
I din't know about Executive's relegious leanings, but if it works, I'm not that concerned as long as they don't fel compelled to convert me!

Old 24th October, 2002, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Orbit
Try running Scandisk and Defrag in Safe Mode.

Here was your answer. all that for this.

Scandisk before Defrag, then tell defrag not to check for errors.

If it's been more than a year since they ran defrag, I always recommend the above, in SAFE MODE.

For one thing it's easier than walking someone through Ctrl/Alt/Deleting everything but explorer.
Old 28th October, 2002, 10:20 AM

Did memory occur to anyone?

If the system is lowish on memory then it will swap stuff in and out, and that stops defrag...

That used to really annoy me on my windows partition...

98 has a slightly different memory model and a different defrag tool, I'm guessing the combination now works.

Z.
4x40Gig Raid0
Juno P6 (Soon to be custom built - Ok not so soon.)
Old 28th October, 2002, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zorro
Did memory occur to anyone?

If the system is lowish on memory then it will swap stuff in and out, and that stops defrag...

That used to really annoy me on my windows partition...

98 has a slightly different memory model and a different defrag tool, I'm guessing the combination now works.

Z.

You have to have more memory that win98 can use to do so, and disable auto virtual memory (by Windows). That in itself is a pretty flaky method.

Your analysis IS correct though, but no real solution.

but what is easier?

1) having someone Ctrl, Alt, Del until everything but explorer is closed, or
2) having someone actually hit F8 at the correct time and work in safe mode.

Both very difficult to walk the AVERAGE user through.
Old 28th October, 2002, 03:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Orbit Send a message via Yahoo to Orbit

Couple of things...
1) you can use Windows ME's Defrag and Scandiskw on any 9x o/s and it's about 10x faster. Just replace the original ones in the Windows directory.

2) there are two ways to force the Win9x Startup menu: a: stick a non-bootable floppy in, reboot. You'll get a message saying: Invalid System Disk, blah blah. Press F8 a few times, it 'should' go to the startup menu. or, b: go to Start/Run/msconfig and then click on Advanced in the lower right corner and put a check in: Use Startup Menu (not the exact words), and reboot. It will boot to the Startup menu. Don't forget to untick it when you're done, or it will always boot to the menu.

A Chieftec with a bunch of PCB's, Drives, Cables, and Water

-----------------------------------------------------------
Laws are for the lawless, who disregard them anyway... Crow
Old 28th October, 2002, 04:58 PM
Member/Contributer

I thank all of you for your replies. But cw823 is right. This isn't me trying to defrag the computer. I could figure it out if it were in front of me. This is me trying to walk a 68 yearold woman through defragging her computer. This is a woman who never needed or wanted a computer nor could she afford such a frivilous thing. Until she saw her daughter using an instant messenger. Then she would waly over to her daughters everyday while her daughter was at work and use her computer. Well we had an old computer that was no good to us (can't play quake 2 based games, no 3D accelerator, from back in the day befor AGP slots) collecting dust. So I formatted the HDD. Reinstalled win95. Her daughter got her an Internet account and I set it up to use that. And I installed all the programs that she would ever use on it (AIM, Ymessenger, PhotoDelux, ect... ). I put it in a box and shipped it off. All she ever had to do was take it out of the box. Plug it in, hook a phone cord up to it, and go.

Well one day she said that her puter was really slow (LOL, if she only knew). And my wife asked her when the last time she drfraged was? She said defrag? whats that?

I tried to walk her through it but she said it kept starting over. The way she got it into safe mode was she would start her puter then when the windows splash screen came on she would hit the switch on the PSU. Then next time she would start it would start in safe mode.

I think that she only had like an 800mb HDD that was almost full (she complained that everytime she tried to download something she had to take something off first) and I also think she only had 24mb RAM (8mb &16mb stick) and it was just taking forever.

Well anyway her daughter bought her a 64mb stick of RAM and installed win 98. So problem solved.

I think my wife is trying to get all of her kids to chip in and have me build her an iTX based system for X-mas. I mean that is really all the power you need for an Email/web surfing box.