AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th October, 2002, 11:48 PM

Crashed on Mobo driver install

I just installed a Maxtor 40 gig, then installed XP Home. I put in the Mobo (ABIT ST6 ) driver CD, and tried to install the INF chipset drivers, and it would not let me with the existing OS. I then went to install the ATA storage drivers and this worked (I thought!). I restarted at the prompt, and while rebooting, I guess I got the dreaded blue screen, first time I have seen that. I said to check HDD for corruption by running CHKDSK/F. I had to turn computer off, and start again, then a screen appeared that asked to boot in safe mode or normally. I tried both, and ended back up at the blue warning screen. Did I cook my HDD? HELP!!!!!!!

Celeron 1.3
ABIT ST6
Old 19th October, 2002, 12:20 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Almost definatly not a fried hard disk

Did your hard drive com with a floppy with tools on it. If so try to reformat the HDD and then try again. After you install Windows disable virtual ram and then reboot, then run scan disk and defrag, Then try installing the chipset drivers (see if you can find a more current set of drivers on the web for your chipset) and mobo drivers.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th October, 2002, 03:59 AM

Re: Crashed on Mobo driver install

Quote:
Originally posted by Quint
I just installed a Maxtor 40 gig, then installed XP Home. I put in the Mobo (ABIT ST6 ) driver CD, and tried to install the INF chipset drivers, and it would not let me with the existing OS. I then went to install the ATA storage drivers and this worked (I thought!). I restarted at the prompt, and while rebooting, I guess I got the dreaded blue screen, first time I have seen that. I said to check HDD for corruption by running CHKDSK/F. I had to turn computer off, and start again, then a screen appeared that asked to boot in safe mode or normally. I tried both, and ended back up at the blue warning screen. Did I cook my HDD? HELP!!!!!!!

Celeron 1.3
ABIT ST6
When you first installed XP, did you boot all the way into windows and try to run?
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th October, 2002, 10:10 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It's possible that Win XP located newer and(hopefully) better mainboard driver's than the one's on your mainboard's CD-ROM.

As much as I mistrust Unca' Beely to do anything right, his software does, sometimes!

If the mobo ain't broke after installing XP, I think twice before I install a mainboard maker's own driver's. Yes, this flies in the face of Good Conventional Mainboard Software Management. But XP is pretty danged good with drivers.
Old 19th October, 2002, 10:19 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I'm presuming that since you installed the drivers you have not successfully got to the desktop/login? If so, you may be able to invoke the last known good configuration, which /should/ recover the system.

AidanII
Old 20th October, 2002, 03:58 PM

Sorry, I have been out of pocket, so no reply to questions yet.

I tried to run my Norton Disk Doctor CD, and it took me through virus detection, which detected no virus (no reason to have one), and left me at an A:> prompt. I have a set of 4 Norton Emergency (A) disks, but I have not been able to get them to run.

So you guys are saying that XP may have installed the drivers I needed without trying to use my Mobo drivers? The chipset drivers on the CD only went through Win 2000. Perhaps there is an update from ABIT?

Let me try to answer all questions posted so far.

Staz: No, I bought an OEM HDD, came with NO floppy on it. No, matter what I do, I always end up with the blue screen.

Uncle Bob: When I first installed XP, I did boot all the way into windows. I followed the instructions when installing. I formatted in NTFS with no partitions. After install, I started trying to load Mobo drivers, and that's when the problem started.

Cloasters: How would I know if the Mobo "ain't broke"?
Yes, since I installed the ATA storage drivers, I have not been able to get back to desktop. How do I invoke the last known good configuration in order to recover the system.

Thanks for all your help!!!
Old 20th October, 2002, 06:30 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Since you drive didn't come with it, try downloading Powermax from Maxtors website. Extract it to a floppy. Then go into your bios and set your first boot as your floppy. Then you should be able to boot with the floppy and reformat your hard drive. Then start from scratch.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 20th October, 2002, 06:47 PM

Thanks. I think I have made some progress. I went into Bios, PnP and PCI devices, PnP was disabled for some reason, so I enabled it, and enabled Reset Configuration Data. I booted with the Win XP CD, and it allowed me to repair install. I now have Desktop. I downloaded updates from ABIT for Bios and drivers. I have them on Zip disk. Could you tell me how to go from here? Are these updates zipped?
Old 20th October, 2002, 07:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to BigRed Send a message via AIM to BigRed Send a message via Yahoo to BigRed

This aint Via town here boy!
The 815e chipset doesnt require drivers (the wonders of intel chipsets over VIA). Intel with its vast pocketbook paid off M$ to include what drivers you do need with windows
Sounds like you already fried your windows installation, just nuke the hdd (format C: ) and start over but dont install the drivers, you will be fine.
I have the competetor to your motherboard in another computer (Gigabyte GA-60XET-c) and it has the same chipset, you dont need to install anything for the motherboard with xp

Last edited by BigRed; 20th October, 2002 at 07:03 PM.
Old 20th October, 2002, 09:35 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Well done, Quint! Now that your machine seems to be flying right, you might have a look in Control Panel\System and find the hardware Device Manager. Then see if your IDE drivers look weird. A friend that worked at MS assured me that MS's own driver's were nearly always better than the individual hardware manufacturer's are. I don't know how true or universal his opinion was.

Next, open up the System Devices "ladder" near the very bottom of the list. See if any of the driver's are listed as Via's or Abit's. If there are none, this doesn't mean that you need any of the driver's that came with your mainboard. And it doesn't mean that you don't! Ain't this a bieeahtch?

I'm in the same puzzlement with XP's driver's. Should I use the CD-ROM that came with my mainboard or not? XP does search MS for the latest driver for the device in question, assuming that you're online.

I suggest not updating your mobo's BIOS unless there is a clear need to, such as this CD-RW is not recognized in the present BIOS version. Or "my 600 Mhz processor is seen as a 400 Mhz processor in BIOS." Updating BIOS is an operation that does go bad once in a while. And that kind of bad ain't good. And yes, it's normal for nearly every file that mainboard makers offer to be zipped.

Unless we are overlooking something, it appears that XP doesn't like Abit's drivers. If XP's drivers work, why mess with success? Conventional wisdom is: gimme the latest drivers, my box will run 1% more efficiently with them! That simply isn't always the truth. The very latest drivers are NOT the best driver sometimes.
Old 22nd October, 2002, 12:12 PM

A rule of thumb for me is that after installing an OS and all devices are seen and working , I leave it alone.
Old 23rd October, 2002, 06:32 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Drive Manufacturer's programs are best given a wide berth if you don't need to investigate or try to repair a problem such as bad sectors, IMHO. Because they can install a DDO(Direct Disk Overlay) prog before you know it. Modern BIOS's can handle all but the biggest HDD's. A DDO prog will make a HDD that's too big for the BIOS work. BUT, if you don't need the assistance of DDO, they slow down data transfer, and can be nearly impossible to get rid of.