AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd November, 2001, 06:36 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

HELLLPPP!!!!!!!!!Dead CPU??

HELP!!!
I may have chipped my Duron. It looks like I did replacing a HSF.

THe system seems to power up tho.
I get fans, CDRW lights flash, and noise like the HDD is doing something. NO VIDEO at all.

Please help. I'm desperate.

If the CPU is damaged, can you still get what I'm getting???

SteveI.

Last edited by SteveI; 3rd November, 2001 at 06:50 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd November, 2001, 06:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jon

It's dead, I'm afraid.

I guarantee it'll do the exact same thing if you take the CPU completely out and start it up.

I've chipped several cores in my time and there is nothing more gut-wrenching.
Old 3rd November, 2001, 07:16 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Iguess there's no hope.. gut wrenching is a real good desription.

I really didn't want to have to buy another CPU.

SteveI.
Old 3rd November, 2001, 02:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

They are pretty cheap those durons thou.
XP 1800+
[color]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th November, 2001, 09:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to GuNRocK

it depends my 650 Duron i crushed 3outa the 4 corners tring to put on a heatsink 1 was prity big and the other 2 were smaller but i ran it overclocked to 850mhz 200mhz faster which a chiped for for 11Months befour i replaced it and found out that the core was chipped....... its the little cpu that could hehe if u dont get video and it sits there try putting another video card ...i know my computer huge stablity problems it was picking and chooseing what days it would boot ....it ended up being my video card wasnt pushed in all the way and when ever my monitor wire moved a bit it moved the card...i am guessing that last pin to make the connection or break it... if u have an old skool PCI video card like a 1mb or 2mb u can use try that since its not on the agp bus and u will know forsure if it doesnt boot with that that the cpu isdamaged....also try underclocking becuase the chip might have problems starting at the defualt speed if u gota 1.4ghz tbird and its chipped would u rather have it running at 1ghz stable or trash it if u dont test it... allways try underclocking it and mess with the voltage multiplier and fsb to see if its still workable.. hope this helps
Old 18th November, 2001, 11:04 PM
AOA Staff

try to get another CPU to slap in there before you start yankin your shiz apart lookin for phantoms that arent there :P
Old 18th November, 2001, 11:39 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

thanks, but she was toast. already have a 1600+ @1800+ in her place. Let's just say there was a lot missing on one side when i got the as2 off.
Old 18th November, 2001, 11:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

IMHO we are seeing FAR to many crushed cores from AMD. Even our EPoX Tech has mushed a few. When pros kill chips I look to the manufacture, not the Pro when placing the blame....for all the good it will do me":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 19th November, 2001, 12:02 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
IMHO we are seeing FAR to many crushed cores from AMD. Even our EPoX Tech has mushed a few. When pros kill chips I look to the manufacture, not the Pro when placing the blame....for all the good it will do me":O}
Yes Daniel~, I agree. But in fairness, this one was my fault. I got the old Duron from a friend for free. It did not have any pads, so in a sense, I was flying without a net. I removed and replaced the HDF (WBK38) many times without a hitch. Late at night I Tried a cheapo HSF (less noise), I was frustrated, and got a little careless. Live and learn.
Old 19th November, 2001, 04:55 AM
AOA Staff

I dont think I ever killed one unless I was usin some home made gear on it, or testing multiple sinks. If you only install them once there seems to be little problem
Old 19th November, 2001, 05:59 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Install them only once!!! Where's the fun in that!!?? ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 19th November, 2001, 06:52 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

I've only crushed two CPUs. And they were both Intel, using OEM heatsinks. Those Intel OEM heatsinks put way too much pressure on the core I'm afraid. I've even installed several HSFs on decapitated K6-Xs and never chipped 'em. I think a well designed HSF retention mechanism is really the key to avoiding die crushing. Any clip the requires the use of a screw driver is generally a bad idea(with the exception being a waterblock clip that uses a centralized screw).

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 19th November, 2001, 10:54 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jon

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
I've only crushed two CPUs. And they were both Intel, using OEM heatsinks. Those Intel OEM heatsinks put way too much pressure on the core I'm afraid. I've even installed several HSFs on decapitated K6-Xs and never chipped 'em. I think a well designed HSF retention mechanism is really the key to avoiding die crushing. Any clip the requires the use of a screw driver is generally a bad idea(with the exception being a waterblock clip that uses a centralized screw).
I agree 100% there.

The last chip I killed was a PIII 1GHz for my VP6 and it was the stock HS that did it. That lever mechanism they use on them is horrible...didn't clamp down straight and took off an entire side of it. Never even got to use it.

Was RMA'd by Intel, but still...
Old 20th November, 2001, 01:40 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

The morale to the story for me is USE MILLENIUM GLACIATOR.

Based on many people here's recommendation, I did. Best $20 I spent in a while. Clip is firm but very easy to use, (with my fingers no less). And it's keeping my Pali@1542 at 42c.... shweet!!
Old 20th November, 2001, 08:23 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The mating of HS and processor is scary. Period. I see no way of safely mounting(one that doesn't use the four holes around the Socket A. Of course, the mobo's gotta come out for them too, the first time)) a Socket A HSF without removing the mainboard from the case. Socket 370's just don't demand this, at least for me. It's probably from reading too many chipped AMD slug stories!

SK7 clip design simply isses me offpay. I wrecked a Slocket with a jeweler's screwdriver a while back and dang near wrecked at least two mainboards as well.

The only HSF's that I know of with totally "finger and thumb" friendly steel(SK7)clips are the Vantec FCE-62540D and CCK-6035D's. No tools required. Nice change of pace! Sure, these are humble HSF's--but if you have an extra Alpha sticker..
Old 26th November, 2001, 08:07 PM

i cracked 3 myself, 2 of which was with orbs, i use a shim now
XP1700+@1627Mhz unlocked
256MB Crucial PC2100
Aopen HX08
30GB Desktar
17" screen
Old 22nd December, 2001, 04:10 AM

Send a message via ICQ to nemisiss

If you're wanting to slice the HSF lugs off the side of the socket then i recomend one of two HSF's. Interestingly enough they are both prodcuts of ThermalTake and both of which are Orb's.

#1: The Golden ORB, I didn't have any problems with this HSF until i tried to remove it! Let me say i said goodbye to the lugs on both sides of the Socket...

#2: The Dragon ORB 3, This little beaty required some brute force to get on and off. In removal it didnt snap anything off, its mearly SHAVED one whole side of the Socket off.... Was very disapointed.

Im now rather happy with my Dr. Thermal HSF. Big airflow and low noise. I am looking at moveing to water cooling sooner or later tho.

BL with the chip tho dood, i had an 'argument' with a Duron 800 not too long ago which resulted in, lets say, its cremation. Now im sitting on a 1400 and quite happy.
Maxtor 40Gb 7200RPM/ATA133 | Seagate 10Gb 5400RPM/ATA100
Eagle GeForce 2 32Mb