AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11th November, 2002, 07:46 PM

Might browse here:

http://duxcw.com/digest/Howto/hd/cpyhd/index.html

May have to use a third party program

in the end.

Pops.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th November, 2002, 02:57 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I'll have a Look.
Thank you,
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th November, 2002, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by robbie
IT"S NOT showing up there. But the BIOS does see it. And I've seen it under the device manager.
Rob

Windows XP will allow you to not assign a drive letter to a drive, thus making invisible in my computer, but the problem that you are describing is not possible. In logic, at least. If it's in device manager, then it should be in Disk Administrator.

If you have it set to master, it will most likely not work.

you need to set the drive to the setting it had when it came from the factory. Many drives, esp. WD are picky about jumper settings. Always has been that way.

It should be a setting like this.

::_:

Forgive my awesome skills there. There are 5 rows of 2 vertical pins. From the left, it should across (horizontally) the bottom two pins, two pins from the left. Per the diagram there.
Old 13th November, 2002, 01:07 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

This is a strange problem. If critical data is on the drive, I suggest putting it back into the Win98 box it came out of. Then the data can be transferred to another HDD or CD-RW. If the Win98 box is history... it's looking like the drive will need to be fdisked in the XP PC to integrate it into the XP machine.
Old 14th November, 2002, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
This is a strange problem. If critical data is on the drive, I suggest putting it back into the Win98 box it came out of. Then the data can be transferred to another HDD or CD-RW. If the Win98 box is history... it's looking like the drive will need to be fdisked in the XP PC to integrate it into the XP machine.

No offense, but WinXP would at the very least recognize the drive in Disk Admin. The problem is not partitioning and/or formatting, it's a hardware issue.

My guess is a jumper setting. I'd almost bet on it.
Old 14th November, 2002, 07:26 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

I think CW823's got it right. If the disk is set up correctly physically, aside from a bad IDE controller, WinXP should correctly detect it and see it in disk management. I've moved disks around plenty of times, and WinXP has always detected it provided that I have the jumper settings correct.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 14th November, 2002, 08:50 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I'll try the jumper thing.
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 14th November, 2002, 08:58 PM

Have you upgraded to SP1?

Old 16th November, 2002, 09:37 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I may have been wrong in my diagnosis-- no doubt!

robbie, what's the sitch with this recalcitrant HDD, or maybe XP with a bad attitude?
Old 16th November, 2002, 10:06 PM
AOA Staff

Nope on SP1 and I haven't checked yet.
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 16th November, 2002, 11:09 PM

I mentioned SP1 because the service pack has problems with FAT32(an oversite by Microsoft assuming everyone would just use NTFS). You said the drive is detected in BIOS, if so. Perhaps the auto detection for that channel is off(meaning XP won't try and auto detect the drive). Here is way to find out:

1. Right-click on My Computer and choose Properties.
2. Click on the Hardware tab, then the Device Manager button.
3. Find the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers(you may need to expand it to see them all)
4. Right-click on each Channel and select Properties.
5. Choose the Advanced Settings tab.
6. Make sure each channel that has a device connected to it has Device Type: Auto Detection

Last edited by ronin1967; 16th November, 2002 at 11:14 PM.
Old 17th November, 2002, 06:53 PM

Here is something interesting...

I have decided to give Linux a try. I use the RAID built into my motherboard and I know Linux doens't play well with the Highpoint controller, so I installed a seperate 40GIG HDD(IDE Channel 2 Master). BIOS sees the HDD, Windows Device Manager sees the drive, even Partition Magic sees the drive. However when I go to My Computer....no HDD.

Seems like we have the same problem. I will keep trying and let you know.

Old 17th November, 2002, 10:41 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ronin1967

I have decided to give Linux a try. I use the RAID built into my motherboard and I know Linux doens't play well with the Highpoint controller, so I installed a seperate 40GIG HDD(IDE Channel 2 Master). BIOS sees the HDD, Windows Device Manager sees the drive, even Partition Magic sees the drive. However when I go to My Computer....no HDD.

Assuming that you don't literally mean "My Computer," but the Linux equivalent of it, the HDD with the Linux OS on it has to be installed on IDE0 in Linux. If I remember right. Sorry to go OT on this thread.
Old 18th November, 2002, 12:10 AM

Quote:

How many problems are we discussing in this thread?

Without pissing on anyone here, I could solve these problems with a 5 minute phone discussion. It seems that there is just alot of confusion, esp. with OS's based on the NT kernel. The Disk Management tool is VITAL to the solution to these problems.

The problem you describe is simple, and has two solutions (or rather there are two reasons for the problem that you describe).

Unfortunately there have been many posts here that have NOT been beneficial to the solution.

I don't mean to offend, but even the original problem was a simple solution. A jumper setting.

Perhaps not enough of you know me well enough to know me and what I do.

I am a hardware guy, plain and simple. I also know most MS os's like the back of my hand. I'm one of a few that enjoys working with AD.

Sorry for the thread crap, I'm just trying to help. If you're not part of the solution......
Old 18th November, 2002, 12:14 AM

When I posted my notice of similar problems, the drive I had installed had been formated to FAT32(had not yet installed Linux to it, was going to use Partition Magic in Windows to finish the install of Linux). I installed the HDD, Bios detected it and even Windows Device Manager, however the drive wouldn't show up in Explorer or My Computer. I thought perhaps we had similar problems.

Old 18th November, 2002, 12:18 AM

Quote:
When I posted my notice of similar problems, the drive I had installed had been formated to FAT32(had not yet installed Linux to it, was going to use Partition Magic in Windows to finish the install of Linux). I installed the HDD, Bios detected it and even Windows Device Manager, however the drive wouldn't show up in Explorer or My Computer. I thought perhaps we had similar problems.

And what does it say in Disk Management? (a rhetorical question, but humor me)
Old 18th November, 2002, 01:06 AM

In Device Manager I see:

HPT37x RAID 0 Array SCSI Device
IC35L040ACVER07-0

The second being the 40GIG IBM HDD, and according to properties it is working properly

If I go to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
All of the controlers are working properly

Old 18th November, 2002, 05:06 AM

Quote:
In Device Manager I see:

HPT37x RAID 0 Array SCSI Device
IC35L040ACVER07-0

The second being the 40GIG IBM HDD, and according to properties it is working properly

If I go to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
All of the controlers are working properly

So this problem IS dramatically different. What drive letters are used by the drive(s)?
Old 18th November, 2002, 07:43 AM

The RAID Array is C:
Floppy A:
DVD D:
CD-RW:E

That's it, the 40GIG doesn't appear.

Old 18th November, 2002, 09:45 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by cw823

I don't mean to offend, but even the original problem was a simple solution. A jumper setting.
Ok, since you seem to be in the "KNOW" please ANSWER ME THIS

Does the JUMPER SETTING MATTER when the PROBLEM HARD DRIVE (one that is FAT32) is hook up to the SECONDARY ide channel ALL BY IT SELF (ie NO OTHER DIVICES are hook up to the same channel) MATTER?

And the PRIMARY hard dive (works FINE running winXP on NTFS) is the ONLY DEVICE on that channel.

Simple enough question correct?
Rob
AOA Team fah