AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 18th November, 2002, 01:22 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Jumper setting does matter, especially if it's a Western Digital. If you stick the HD on the end of the cable, it still has to be set as either Master or CS. If it's stuck on the middle, it still has to be set as either Slave or CS. For some drives it doesn't matter where on the cable it's connected, IBM's were like that, but for other's it matters.

Western Digital also has a special setting if it's a stand alone drive. The only brand that has such a setting.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th November, 2002, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by robbie

Ok, since you seem to be in the "KNOW" please ANSWER ME THIS

Does the JUMPER SETTING MATTER when the PROBLEM HARD DRIVE (one that is FAT32) is hook up to the SECONDARY ide channel ALL BY IT SELF (ie NO OTHER DIVICES are hook up to the same channel) MATTER?

And the PRIMARY hard dive (works FINE running winXP on NTFS) is the ONLY DEVICE on that channel.

Simple enough question correct?
Rob

If it's a Western Digital the jumper ABSOLUTELY has to be in the factory default setting.

If you look at the 5 rows of two vertical pins, mapped out below:

1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10

The jumper should be across pins 8 and 9 IF it is a standalone drive. That IS the setting for WD's.

WD's should only be set to master/slave if another drive is on the same IDE cable with it.
Old 18th November, 2002, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mookydooky

Western Digital also has a special setting if it's a stand alone drive. The only brand that has such a setting.

Old 18th November, 2002, 07:40 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Thank you,
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th November, 2002, 01:29 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

robbie, is this drive now happily integrated into the XP box??
Old 10th December, 2002, 08:03 AM

ok ppl....with XP it can only see hdds with fat32 that are under 32 gigz, anything over that it will need to be formatted in nfts

if you try a fresh install on a new hdd that is over 32 gigz, the winXP install won't even give you the option to format it in fat32...if its 32 gigz or less....oops there is the fat32 option
Old 10th December, 2002, 08:26 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

How ya doing Rob?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 10th December, 2002, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by [Dark]
ok ppl....with XP it can only see hdds with fat32 that are under 32 gigz, anything over that it will need to be formatted in nfts

if you try a fresh install on a new hdd that is over 32 gigz, the winXP install won't even give you the option to format it in fat32...if its 32 gigz or less....oops there is the fat32 option
I just used Partition Magic to get mine up and running:
Attached Thumbnails
XP won't see 80 gig (fat 32)-80gig.jpg  
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 10th December, 2002, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bob

I just used Partition Magic to get mine up and running:

ya if you do that it will work....i have my main 40 gig hdd in nfts, and my back up 80 gig fat32.....i dunno its hard to explain, but when u do a clean install of a new hdd, xp just won't take it if its fat32 and over 32 gigz
Old 10th December, 2002, 02:07 PM

Quote:

ya if you do that it will work....i have my main 40 gig hdd in nfts, and my back up 80 gig fat32.....i dunno its hard to explain, but when u do a clean install of a new hdd, xp just won't take it if its fat32 and over 32 gigz
I don't know what specific version of XP you are using...there are many now. I had XP Home, Pro and Corporate all installed on the drive when it was a FAT32 drive previously.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Old 10th December, 2002, 03:37 PM

i'm talking brand new drives, and i have xp pro...and why would you wanna triple boot XP???

anyways...i'll find the article about since ya'll seem to be questioning me about it...
Old 10th December, 2002, 03:51 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;310525

Quote:
Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows Me, Windows 98, and Windows 95 OSR2 can access FAT32 volumes. MS-DOS, the original version of Windows 95, and Windows NT 4.0 do not recognize FAT32 partitions, and are unable to boot from a FAT32 volume. Also, FAT32 volumes cannot be accessed properly if the computer is started by using another operating system (for example, a Windows 95 or MS-DOS boot disk).

also

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;314463

Quote:
You cannot format a volume larger than 32 gigabytes (GB) in size using the FAT32 file system during the Windows XP installation process. Windows XP can mount and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB (subject to the other limits), but you cannot create a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GB by using the Format tool during Setup. If you need to format a volume that is larger than 32 GB, use the NTFS file system to format it. Another option is to start from a Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) Startup disk and use the Format tool included on the disk.

For additional information about how to use a Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) Startup disk to format a hard disk, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

255867 How to Use Fdisk and Format to Partition/Repartition a Hard Disk

NOTE: When you attempt to format a FAT32 partition that is larger than 32 GB during the Windows XP installation process, the format operation fails near the end of the process, and you may receive the following error message:

Logical Disk Manager: Volume size too big.

Last edited by [Dark]; 10th December, 2002 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10th December, 2002, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Another option is to start from a Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) Startup disk and use the Format tool included on the disk.
Bingo!

Old 10th December, 2002, 05:47 PM

Quote:

Bingo!

thats fine, all i was saying is about the fat32 partitions not being able to be larger than 32 gigs, and as you can see...i was correct
Old 11th December, 2002, 06:55 AM

Quote:

I posted my reply to help others, as what you posted above isn't really true. We try to help folks sort out problems by offering solutions. Glad we got this sorted out and I hope your problems are gone as well.

Old 11th December, 2002, 04:16 PM

Quote:

as what you posted above isn't really true.

how so?
Old 11th December, 2002, 05:20 PM

Quote:

how so?
Quote:
if you try a fresh install on a new hdd that is over 32 gigz, the winXP install won't
OK?

Old 15th December, 2002, 06:06 PM

Quote:

OK?
do you even know what your saying, cuz i don't
Old 18th December, 2002, 02:54 AM

Quote:

I'm glad you set aside this special time to humiliate yourself.

Funny. Was wondering when I could finally use that line.
Old 19th December, 2002, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Holy sheep dip! Yes I do. I suppose all the PCs being sold (Dell, HP, Gateway to mention the biggies) are selling their PC's with drives smaller than 32Gig and or formatted NTFS? Are you really serious? Wake up and smell the coffee, Bubba! This is really old.

Quote:
Originally posted by cw823

I'm glad you set aside this special time to humiliate yourself.

Funny. Was wondering when I could finally use that line.
Why thank you, CW. I'll remember that one, it's a bright spot in a foggy thread! LOL