AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 20th December, 2002, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bob

Why thank you, CW. I'll remember that one, it's a bright spot in a foggy thread! LOL

It's right up there with "I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth"

Old 20th December, 2002, 05:52 AM

Yes it is. I guess it will quiet down here now. I rather dislike being curt, I've raised 4 teenagers, and I have learned that there comes a time when "it's not up for discussion"!
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th December, 2002, 08:56 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

While lack of knowledge or ignorance can annoy folks that know more, or think they know more, we are here to help.

As robbie hasn't posted in this thread for more than a month, this thread serves little purpose.
Old 20th December, 2002, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
While lack of knowledge or ignorance can annoy folks that know more, or think they know more, we are here to help.

As robbie hasn't posted in this thread for more than a month, this thread serves little purpose.

It's purpose is for me to list more of the "21 things you wish you could say at work".

Like, "How about 'never'? Is 'never' good for you?"
Old 20th December, 2002, 09:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I get up go to work and then when I come home, THIS! Why can't you kids behave yourselves when I'm away?

(Imprinted and hard wired into my youthful mind by my mother! ":O|
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 20th December, 2002 at 11:34 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th January, 2003, 02:41 AM

Quote:

Holy sheep dip! Yes I do. I suppose all the PCs being sold (Dell, HP, Gateway to mention the biggies) are selling their PC's with drives smaller than 32Gig and or formatted NTFS? Are you really serious? Wake up and smell the coffee, Bubba! This is really old.

hello, you missed my point, doesn't matter though

/me waits for smartass comment
Old 19th January, 2003, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by [Dark]

hello, you missed my point, doesn't matter though

/me waits for smartass comment
You waited this long? I can hardly remember what point I missed! LOL
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Old 19th January, 2003, 08:53 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

UPDATE!!! Well the new hard drive is on the way, I just need to see if nortan can get any info off the old drive!?!?!? (hoping)
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 19th January, 2003, 03:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ByteWipe

Quote:
You waited this long? I can hardly remember what point I missed! LOL
I *think* what hes trying to say is that when you do a clean install of XP, boot it off the CD or whatever, when you come to select what partition to place it on, and the drive itself is not formatted yet, it will only give you the option to format it with an NTFS file system.

You can of course change this to FAT32 with third party software or with a different boot disk, etc.

So in fact, you are both right! Or so I think...

If I remember correctly, when I installed XP on my new hard drive, I only had the option for an NTFS format....

Thought I'd help clear that up anyway....

Main Rig: AMD XP 2000+ @ 1790Mhz (142Mhz FSB), Leadtek Winfast K7N415DA Mobo, Leadtek WinFast A250LE TD GF4 Ti4200 64MB @ 305/589, Crucial 256MB DDR PC2100 RAM, 92GB hard drive space, Chieftec Scorpio TX-10BD Case, 2 Papst 80mm Case Fans (40cfm each), Akasa AK-821 2Q Silent CPU Cooler (20cfm). Win XP Pro. 45C idle, 54C full load. 3DMark2001SE: 11020

Server: AMD K6-2 500Mhz @ 550Mhz (110Mhz FSB), Gigabyte GA-5AX Mobo, S3 Trio 4MB, 224MB P100 RAM, stock CPU cooler. Win 2000 Pro
Old 19th January, 2003, 07:51 PM

OK, you are right.
The main point I was trying to make was if you are doing a fresh install on a brand new hard drive with XP you can use a boot disk to format the disk to FAT 32. I didn't want the impression left that this was impossible to do just because the option wasn't available when installing XP.

Old 24th January, 2003, 05:24 AM

When I did a fresh install of winxp it got loaded as FAT32 , I had to go into command prompt and type:, convert C: /fs:ntfs ,and then press enter key.
bob
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah
Old 24th January, 2003, 06:15 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

**update**

I got the drive, in a sealed bag NO referb sticker (sorry S_Wilson) (or was it staticwarrior?!?!) anways.

I'm either going to sell it or install it into something. I still need to see if I can get the OLD info off the orignal drive BEFORE I send it in.

Can you guys recomend anything that will fix a mucked up partition and get any info off that it can?!?!?

Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 26th January, 2003, 05:39 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Offhand, Partition Magic may be able to "rescue" your data. I read that the latest version is required for Win XP. Can I hear a "Ka-ching?"
Old 4th February, 2003, 04:51 PM
AOA Staff

Thanks for the info bud..... Now I just need to get a copy of it. I wonder if Wal mart has it and for how much?
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 5th February, 2003, 01:56 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by cw823

No offense, but WinXP would at the very least recognize the drive in Disk Admin. The problem is not partitioning and/or formatting, it's a hardware issue.

My guess is a jumper setting. I'd almost bet on it.
I'm pretty sure it was a partittion issue. Cuz I put it on another box and it won't even boot.

Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 5th February, 2003, 02:24 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by ByteWipe
If I remember correctly, when I installed XP on my new hard drive, I only had the option for an NTFS format....
I just did something similar. I wanted to ghost a drive, so I took a brand new 40gig and connected it to a pc... in XP it refused to allow fat32, unless I made the partition 32gig or less... really annoying since I needed fat32 at the time.... But it worked.
Old 5th February, 2003, 02:56 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

im going add my bit.. one more useless post wont make a difference here.

before i used win2k, and before i blew my mobo up i had xp, it was xp pro, and i "upgraded" from win98SE. Since win98SE came with a 40gb hdd (fat32 of course) that was my hard drive at the time. XP updated, and worked fine, no mention or complaint about my hdd being more than 32GB fat32.

i wish i could have read this sooner before u sent away your hdd to norton. did you ever think to back up any info you would need on your xp system.. do a hdd format, and put w98 onto the system? then try and detect the other hdd, IF this would have worked you could have backed up the needed info, then gone back to xp. It may have taken ages, but it might have worked...

another way could have been to get something called "tweak" i believe they have it here, even older versions will have the option you may have needed under the "My Computer" tab. It lists the drives that will appear in my computer IF they are available. i have win2k and 98, by default all drive letters are all checked. Maybe its different with xp?
Old 5th February, 2003, 10:51 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by robbie
Can you guys recomend anything that will fix a mucked up partition and get any info off that it can?!?!?
Muhahah. Yeah, any decent disk editor along with a bit of brain power. That assumes it's a basic disk, not a dynamic disk. I should have been watching this thread more earlier, having had more fun than is healthy with partitions in the past.

How many partitions do you have on the disk? If it's just one primary partition, it should be fairly easy to rebuild the partition table. If it's more than one partition (or has logical partitions) then you may have to go trawling through the disk for the rest of the partition info.

The Win XP 32Gb FAT32 partition issue is only rears it's head when 1) You are installing AND 2) You used the setup program to format the partition. If either of those two things are missing, then it'll happen ok.

Áedán
Old 8th February, 2003, 02:04 PM

This is probably not the case as most folks have moved on to newer chipsets,but i thought i would post as it may help someone else.
There are many freeware programs that will mount the drive and give you access to the info on it at cdnetdownloads.com.I tried at least four found there.Three of these worked well but wouldn't let me get the files i needed because my drive was formatted with ntfs(would have to purchase to get NTFS files).yours being fat 32,you can use a few of them free for 30 days.
One other thing about WD drives.I have had several go bad,that will not be found by windows,when booting but have found that by unpluging the 40 pin cable and running with the power still connected that these "bad" drives will after warming up be found after shutting down and reconnecting the 40 pin cable.
I have two 200bb's sitting on my desk now to return for advance RMA.I received refurbished ones.
Quote:
It seems that certain Western Digital disk drives have a firmware incompatiblity with the KT133 and KT133A chipsets that causes them to not be detected by motherboards using these chipsets - such as the KT7/KT7A/KT7E motherboards (with or without RAID). Considerable discussion on this problem may be found on this thread at Western Digital's support site. A variety of disk drives seem to be affected and include the WD200, WD400BB, WD1000 plus other 20, 40, 60, 80 and 120GB models. Western Digital and ABIT are aware of the problem and Western Digital are apparently working on a firmware upgrade - see their site. Update: Several users with Western Digital disks have recently emailed me that there are no problems (3 May 2002) with new disks, and so it is likely that the firmware upgrade is now implemented.
2x Maxtor 80 gig DM9's SI raid0
2x Maxtor 60 gig DM9's Acard raid0
sk7 with 80 mm sunon
win 2000 pro

Last edited by shadowdr; 8th February, 2003 at 02:07 PM.