AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th October, 2002, 04:21 PM

230 killed my Hard Drive?

ok been having no end of problems setting up this new system. I have had no less than 3 brand new hard drives go bad in less than a day or so of operations. System is a xp 2200 @ 1950 195X10 @ 1.85 volts on an epox 8k5a3+ running windows xp pro with all the newest drivers and patches. Geforce 4 4200ti, santa cruz sound and 256 mb pc 3200.

Its the been the same story now 3 times in a row. Format install xp update with all drivers and patches and everything is good. Then after a few hours the hard drive starts randomly clicking and freezing up . Gets progressively worse and eventually drive is dead. Once, ok, twice maybe but the third time no way. Something is killing these drives. All were brand new. Maxtor, Western Digital and Seagate. All were ata 100 or 133 and 7200 rpm and running on the primary ide channel if that makes any difference.

The only thing i can imagine is something i just noticed today, somehow, I think one of my kids helped with this one, my power supply got switched over from 115 to 230. Could this contribuite to the early demise of these drives or is there something else going on out there.

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 30th October, 2002, 04:58 PM
AOA Staff

err, generaly that blows the PSU out and some other nasty stuff
Old 30th October, 2002, 05:05 PM

Well, i've been able to do a full install of xp 3 times and had it running for a day or so before I had the hard drive issues. CDRW, vidcard, sound card etc worked fine.
Old 30th October, 2002, 06:45 PM

if the 115/240 swich has been messed with any the system powered on then you will normally see smoke from the PSU and anything connected to it.

Primary candiate for killing the drives has to be the PSU, I suggest you use another.

You may have damaged your motherboard when the swich was swiched, that damage may well be causing more drive faliures (although this is allot more unlikely than the PSU)

Bad memory could also be the casue, as can running 5T on precharge (again unlikely)

High FSB running may also be a factor, although many others run 8k5a above 200fsb trouble free.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th October, 2002, 08:33 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Just so you know...

The 115/230V switch on the back alters how the PSU configures it's primary energy store. If you're at 115V, and you switch it to 230V, then the energy store will not be as efficient (Approximately half as efficient). This means that your PSU will not be capable of handling heavy loads, and may also inject some 60Hz ripple into the power lines.

If you're on 230V and you switch it to 115V, the primary energy store goes bang, as it's only rated at 300 odd volts, and is receiving nearly 600V.

I would be surprised if it did kill your hard disks, but I'm no expert on the effects of heavy ripple on hard disks!

AidanII
Old 30th October, 2002, 08:39 PM

Hondo, just a note, please don't double post. People will read your post, and help if they can. Double posting tends to dilute the thread, as people will read one thread or the other, and might miss something that is important.

AidanII
Old 30th October, 2002, 11:45 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, Hondo!

Sorry to hear this bad news from your corner of the PC zone!

There are so many little details in the science and art of PC's, it's unbelievable. I suppose you could safely say that building and running PC's is details, end of story.

I may be wrong about this. If the PS's AC side was set to ~230V, it was starved for supply voltage, yet it might have drawn too much Amperage. As I wrote, I may have this wrong. Personally, I'd remove the abused PS, and not run the machine until a new power supply is installed. I might toss the mainboard too.

Three dead HDD's within a day would have driven me bonkers. This is a very sobering thread. Come to think of it, I did NOT check the 115/230v switch of my newest PS before running it for the first time. Uh-oh!
Old 31st October, 2002, 04:06 PM

Thanks to all for the replies and sorry for the double posting. I didn't have a second powersupply to test out and have always lived on the side of danger. So i went ahaed and returned the third hard drive for a new one and switched it back over to 115 and went for a new install. Everything went fine and I must say the PC is much more stable now.

I'm running at 2.1 gig where i was running at 1.9 before and Turbo settings on the ram where i could only do fastest before. Have to keep an eye on things for the next day or so and see how things go. I tried a few other pc's here at work that are our junkers. None of them would even boot when switched to 230. Must have good components or something.
Old 31st October, 2002, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hondo
I tried a few other pc's here at work that are our junkers. None of them would even boot when switched to 230. Must have good components or something.
From experience so far, some power supplies will work with just 80VDC of electricity (on the 230V setting!). I find this much safer than throwing in 300VDC when I'm testing a PSU and it's exposed. I can power it off an isolated supply that'll provide enough current to get the PSU up and running.

AidanII
Old 31st October, 2002, 05:04 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hondo
... I tried a few other pc's here at work that are our junkers. None of them would even boot when switched to 230. Must have good components or something.
So... may I assume that something about your job really isses you offpay? I'm a wet blanket too often. Yet if I meet Hondo, an exclusion zone around my humble gear will be enforced. Stringently.
Old 31st October, 2002, 07:55 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

In short, it not nice to put other people's hardware at risk.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 31st October, 2002 at 08:05 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st November, 2002, 02:21 PM

I couldn't agree more. By junkers I mean these are pentium 1 and low level pentium 2' pc's that aren't even on our network. They live in a closet because no one has ever gotten around to donating them or trashing them. I had to canabalize (sp) several of them together to make 3 that were complete or would even boot up. After the difficulties I went through with this the last thing I would do is to inflict this upon a coworker.

On another note what does it mean when you get the error: Page fault in a non paged area. I've never seen that blue screen error before on any other pc set up I've had.
Old 1st November, 2002, 03:56 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hondo I couldn't agree more. By junkers I mean these are pentium 1 and low level pentium 2' pc's that aren't even on our network. They live in a closet because no one has ever gotten around to donating them or trashing them. I had to canabalize (sp) several of them together to make 3 that were complete or would even boot up. After the difficulties I went through with this the last thing I would do is to inflict this upon a coworker.
Thank you for clearing that up Hondo, your back in our good graces.":O} Sorry can't help you with the page fault thing.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic