AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd November, 2002, 01:17 PM

Auto restart

my case is quite similar to the REBOOT problem, but when i use normal apps like Norton , surfing net, even searching for files, the comp just auto restart.Sometimes, when starting windows, it will auto restart again.What is the problem?I have just changed the psu to a 400w one.Previously the one has a lose connector, so i will experience power breakdown, now this want is a different kind.I think is the power supply problem.Can u guys help me.Here are some details:

AMD Xp 1900+
Kingmax 256mb 333mhz
XP Home Edition
elsa gf2 ti

Cpu temp about 50 - 60C
Mb temp about 40C
The voltages:
Vio:3.28V
Vcore:1.76
Vdimm:2.64
Vagp:1.53
Vbat:3.05
12V:12.34
5Vsb:5.48
Old 2nd November, 2002, 02:05 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

it can offten be a memory problem that will cause spontanious reboots. If you just put the PSU in and all of a sudden are haveing problems then you would be right in suspecting that is your culprit. Was it stable befor the new PSU? or Were you haveing a different prob befor the new PSU and it is gone but you have a new problem now?

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd November, 2002, 04:59 AM

when i was using Windows Me, the power supply got problem (350W)
then when i changed to a new one(this one) everything is fine.
but when i use xp home now.
things are really getting worse.
auto restart problem.
i cant even upgrade to xp pro
got blue screen during preparing installation
xp blue screen?u gotta be kidding me
then
when i ran norton 2002, cant scan...got error.
i've disable all my shutdown options in the bios settings
couldnt be the heat problem also
because sometimes when i just switched on the comp, it will auto restart also
:-(
Old 3rd November, 2002, 05:51 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

I would guess it's a memory problem. Try dropping your memory to run at 266 instead of 333. and see if that helps.

Also if you are overclocking take it bace down to stock speed for your OS install.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd November, 2002, 08:17 AM

nope.
i didnt overclock.
the ram running at original speed
somemore the bios detects the ram running at 266mhz (????)
i have finally managed to upgraded from home to professional XP
so far so good
Old 5th November, 2002, 11:39 AM

the damm problem came back again.even worst still!!!!!
i really suspect is the ram problem
will be changing it this saturday.
wait for my results
Old 6th November, 2002, 12:45 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, amg320!

If the RAM is set to run "by SPD" in BIOS it will run at 266 Mhz, which is your Front Side Bus and Memory Bus speed(they don't have to be the same at all times, of course), unless you're running Overclocked, or one of the very newest XP+'s.

"266 Mhz" means "133 Mhz, Double Pumped." You'll need a mainboard sporting a Via KT-333 chipset, or equivalent to run the RAM at "333 Mhz," which means "166 Mhz, Double Pumped."

Intel is even cuter with its "533 Mhz," which means "133 Mhz, Quad pumped."

As you are running at stock(not Overclocked), I'm thinking that your CPU temp may be the problem. I know, easy for me to say in North America! If it's safe to remove your case's left cover, why not see if doing so reduces your CPU temp? If it makes a ~2C difference, it may be time to install more fans in your case, so that air moves through the case faster, thereby giving the CPU cooler air to grab.

Last edited by cloasters; 6th November, 2002 at 12:49 AM.
Old 6th November, 2002, 03:27 AM

Send a message via ICQ to unclemojo

or maybe give a rundown of what all 3rd party apps you have installed... Norton, Roxio etc. I just haggled my way through Direct CD reboots. I've found the reboots come from software rather than hardware most of the time
Old 6th November, 2002, 03:29 AM

mine motherboard is the old one
kt266a chipset..did I get it right?
btw, is Epox 8KHA+ motherboard.
y the memory only giving me the problems now?
i bought the comp about last year (December 2001)...
now only giving me problems.
i will changing my ram with my friend this Friday to make sure is the ram problem.
wait for my reply and a big thank u to u ppl out there!
Old 8th November, 2002, 01:55 PM

BIG dissapointment
i've done almost everthing....
i've changed the RAM and...
the damm computers still loves to auto restart
i cant seem to find the solution
when i run full norton scan also restart
open too many files...restart
cpu temp about 57
motherboard about 40
BUT
when i put a fan next to the system unit
and i adjust my hsf speed to hi settings
cpu temp about 40+
motherboard temp about 30

EVERYTHING is almost perfect....
i'm really lost here
Old 8th November, 2002, 07:41 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Your case and motherboard temps are too high by about 10C. I had the exact same problem when I was running 1626Mhz with a super cheap HSF. AXP's tend to lose stability right around 60C on the 8KHA+.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 8th November, 2002, 09:24 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

If I understand right, you have lowered your case and CPU temp a LOT by removing your case's left cover, then blasting your box's interior with a house fan.
And you still have this spontaneous reboot problem??!

Why not post what brand of power supply your 400 Watter is? Big numbers alone do not a stable AMD machine make.
AMD rigs are VERY choosy about the voltage available on the 5v rail of the PS.

If you are using a good quality PS that supplies all of the power that the machine needs, I'm nearly out of ideas. Why not strip the machine down and leave only one stick of RAM, the Vidcard and the CPU(with heatsink and fan) on the mainboard? If the box POST's correctly, add components one at a time. This may single out the bad apple.

As the machine was NOT getting enough ventilation with the left hand case cover on it, and it's hot in Malaysia nearly all of the time, it's quite possible that the heat damaged your XP 1900+ processor. I had the same symptoms with a P3E that I unknowingly damaged with too much heat.

While the left cover is off, can you beg, borrow or(ouch) buy a CPU to install in your mobo temporarily? Durons are quite inexpensive here, but they may not be in Malaysia.

If your XP 1900+ is damaged by heat, running it at a nice cool temperature(like you are getting with the case cover off) won't make any difference. If it's gone, it's gone.

Whether you get a new CPU or keep the one you have now, your case needs serious cutting, so that fans can be mounted. If you have only simple tools, doing this is a pain. However, your box needs a typhoon of air flowing through it. The cooling setup now is not good enough. Or, you can keep the cover off and use the table fan!

I'm guessing that your CPU is damaged. Changing to a known-good processor as an experiment is easier than removing nearly everything from the mainboard and hunting for the bad hardware.

If it's been a long time since you formatted your C:\ (I assume) drive, doing so and reinstalling all of the software may help. Swapping the CPU temporarily is a lot easier!
Old 9th November, 2002, 07:32 AM

wow...if a need to change the processor...i have to fork out extra $$$
i left my comp running yesterday about 10hrs...
nothing happen...
temp:
motherboard 30+
cpu 40+
table fan blowing to the system
when i switch off and then about half and hours time turn on again
this time without the fan but JUST switched on the pc
wait for about 10 minutes
cpu temp about 51
motherboard temp about 35
....restart..
could it be the motherboard problem?
btw..i'm using a thermaltake volcano 7+ HSF
b4 that i was using some stupid HSF arkua....heard of it?
cause i was new to AMD and that ******* recommended me to use this HSF..
it was giving me too much noise...and the temp is slightly higher than the normal ones i'm getting now BUT..dont suffer the problems i've mentioned.
i've tried formatting my pc a couple of times in just a day.
when i install 98...blue screen comes out towards the end
ME....display will go blur...lines all over...should be the video card problem for this
and then for xp
i will get a blue screen too
normally with the message something like n4_disp.dll, acpi.sys ,etc....
and then when luck comes,i managed to install xp..
this is really driving me nuts
yeah...
i think i better check the cpu cause i dont think the ram is the prob
i cant seem to find the brand of the psu
must be a cheap one..i bought for about RM 60
the good ones must be like enlight...rite?
Old 9th November, 2002, 02:22 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Most likely you're having two issues. First, your temperatures are too high, like I stated before. 30C for the case and 40C for the CPU are fine. Anything up to around 52C-53C is probably fine for the CPU. Once you start reaching the high 50's is when you will start experiencing problems.

Your second issue is probably too weak a PSU. The EPoX 8KHA+ is very sensitive to low voltages on the 5V line. The message you got, "n4_disp.dll, acpi.sys ,etc...." is usually the one you get when your CPU is not stable. That doesn't mean it's dead, just that it need either more voltage or you need to clock it down so it will use less power. If you want to test this out, set your FSB to 100. If you still get the same message while loading Windows, then it's something else. If Windows loads fine, then this is the most likely culprit.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 9th November, 2002, 09:39 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Personally, Enlight power supplies are only good for boat anchors, preferably in salt water. But they are so light that they make bad boat anchors, too!

We don't know what power supplies are available in Malaysia. I suggest going to www.amd.com . There's "AMD Athlon Configuration" in the left sidebar. Click it. The next page has AMD's recommended configuration- Athlon XP, Athlon MP, Athlon and Duron in the right sidebar. Choose "AMD Athlon XP Configuration." The next page has "AMD Athlon XP Configuration" in the right sidebar, and "AMD Athlon XP Power Supply Manufacturer's." Click it. There's a list of PS's that AMD likes. Unfortunately, PS model numbers and what CPU they are approved for are history. Most folks in this neighborhood like SPI Sparkle PS's. The 350W model is good unless you are going to pack your case full of components. In that case, the SPI Sparkle 400W is a better idea.

Enlight is on the list. The problem is that only certain model numbers are good enough. If an Enlight PS is advertised by the seller as "AMD Approved," it means nothing. Nothing!

Enermax's are good---as long as they are 365W or more(sorry it may be 465W or nothing. I don't know). Antec's are popular hereabouts, I read that Channel Well, Fortron-Source(these F-S's may be good for P4's only), Zippy Emacs, Leadman Electronics, Seventeam and Topower are acceptable PS's. 350W PS's are a great idea. Most 300 Watters are not good enough.

I've heard of "Arkua" brand HSF's but I have no idea of their quality. As your CPU temp is quite good with the case cover off and the table fan blasting the inside of the box, it looks like the Thermaltake is doing a good job. However, if you want to put the case cover back on, you need much better case ventilation.
Old 10th November, 2002, 03:08 AM

yeah
i think i try to get a better branded power supply..but i think it will cost me about twice the amout or more.
i just checked out the enlight prices..havent check out the others though...
thankfully nothing is wrong with my cpu.
now i open both sides of my casing...ya both sides.
motherboard temp 37
cpu temp 48
everything is ok.
Old 10th November, 2002, 01:54 PM

I think I'll have to point out the simple solution here, WindowsXP has an auto restart option whenever your PC encounters a BSOD, it could just be one of those programs crashing. You can find out how to disable it at http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=86
Old 10th November, 2002, 10:56 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hamzter
I think I'll have to point out the simple solution here, WindowsXP has an auto restart option whenever your PC encounters a BSOD, it could just be one of those programs crashing. You can find out how to disable it at http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=86
Very true. Thanks, Hamzter!
Old 11th November, 2002, 02:37 PM

well
i think i'll try this friday cause im away from home from mon-fri
many many thanks to u ppl again
Old 16th November, 2002, 06:21 AM

7 days ...
no problem with my comp..
as long as the hsf is set to high..
wow is noisy with both sides of the casing open..
motherboard temp 38
cpu 47
i will try to get a new psu when i've have the money
will be looking at antec,enlight or enermax
cant seem to find sparkle's product here in malaysia ...
although i've heard some reviews bout that.
btw.
A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL U PLL out there again.
u can add me
icq uin: 10519524
c'ya