AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th November, 2001, 04:40 PM

Server is having problems big time :(

I am running win2k server with sp2 and last night at 9:06 the machine dumped its memory into memory.dmp can I look at this file? Also I can no longer see the properties of my C: drive because I want to scandisk and defrag and see if that solves this issues. I can get on the server but I am crashing a lot and things no longer work. I tried repairing the install twice and then went into safe mode and tried to fix it. I am going to boot into safe and run scan disk and try to find what is going on with this box. I think one of my sticks of ram is bad because all other trouble shooting ends with me cursing the machine. also maxtor maxblast test shows the drive is okay.
Old 4th November, 2001, 04:46 PM

event viewer had this before the crash

The driver disabled the write cache on device \Device\Harddisk0
DR0. *okay maybe this is nothing*

I guess I need to re-install or something. can I reinstall server and keep all my data?

Last edited by el_; 4th November, 2001 at 04:50 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th November, 2001, 04:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by el_
event viewer had this before the crash

The driver disabled the write cache on device \Device\Harddisk0
DR0. *okay maybe this is nothing*

I guess I need to re-install or something. can I reinstall server and keep all my data?
W2K allows you to reinstall over prior copies, and your data should still be there.

I dunno what happened... I would assume you have a firewall up so this probably wasn't a virus attack, and unless something went wrong and data got corrupted, I'm at a loss.
Old 4th November, 2001, 07:19 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to CNUCompGuy Send a message via AIM to CNUCompGuy Send a message via Yahoo to CNUCompGuy

Yeah, u can easily do a reinstall and save all of ur data. Of course you will have to reinstall all of ur programs, but that's it. Also, if you have anything in My Documents, save them to another folder as well as anything in the WinNT folder and te desktop. Save everything that you would like to keep on the root of C: or on another partition if you want but don't put anything that you wanna keep on the desktop, in My Docs, or in the WinNT folder. When you go into the install do the option for a new install, then when it searches for previous installations it'll say thatit found WIn200 on there already. Select to continue installation and then continue as u normally would, but do not delete/format the partition, just install on top of it. Hope this solves your problem. TTYL!!
Old 4th November, 2001, 08:13 PM

I am going to test out all the hardware first. I have zonealarm and my router is pretty secure so I don't think I have been hacked. can't seem to get it to work correctly. I hope XP server comes out in early 2002 as it is supposed to. I will reinstall but I think I should go ahead and reformat/fresh install just incase and this time I will have a small 4 gig OS partition and have better back up maybe another domain controller so when this one goes down I can just switch to the back up domain controller.

btw I am using the iwill kk266-r bios from 1022 and it seems a little buggy could this be my problem.

I will flash back to the june bios and see if the problem is still there.

thanks for the help