AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th November, 2002, 01:37 PM

i may have blow my processer

i bought CFS3 and i wanted a slight performance enhance, so i went to bios and clocked my fsb up 20 point/mhz (whatever the name is) well then the compouter stopped responding and went dead, i had overclocked this far before no problem so i thought ill just reset AFTER A REBOOT, SO I REBOOTED AND NOTHING the monitor didnt come on, i didnt see POST and i cant get to bios, the cd drive whirs away and i can hear most usual start up sounds, i have checked all hardware like monitor and gfx card and ram, i know its not them, i cant however check to see if its my motherboard though. the monitor just stays on standby.

do i need a new processer, there are no beeps indicating a piece of hardware is missing etc so i am at a loss i have taken the processer out cleaned it and checked for obvious problems but it looks fine.

Please someone Help!1!!111!

my system is
512 ram Dimms pc133
amd athalon 1600xp
mobo # gigabyte, socket A GA-7ZXE its a VIA board i think
64 meg radeon 8500
20gig Ide Harddrive
standard cdrom and cd rewriter

what do i need to replace and is there anyway i can reset my bios to default without turning on the computer, liek a jumper or something????

thanks
Old 29th November, 2002, 01:51 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Look for the CMOS reset jumper. It should show somewhere in your manual. Once you reset the CMOS, everything should be back to their default states.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th November, 2002, 01:53 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Oh yeah, the CMOS reset jumper is usually located near your CMOS battery. The normal default position is pins 1-2, move the jumper to pins 2-3 momentarily and put the jumper back to its original position. That should do it.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th November, 2002, 05:03 PM

Here is a pic of the CMOS battery. Mook is dead on (always is!). If you can't find the jumper, look in your manual. Perhaps it will be necessary to remove this battery for 30 sec. as well. This will reset your BIOS completely to default. The time and date will be messed up as well, so don't forget to reset that.
We usually suggest raising the FSB by increments of 1 at a time. 20 is a huge jump.
Attached Images

ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 29th November, 2002, 06:31 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Have you FIRST tired to hold the INSERT key down when you power up?
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 29th November, 2002, 06:56 PM

i tried all of the above and nothing there does appear to be no jumper, but there is text on the board about the jumper, "CLR_CMOS 1-2 normal 2-3clr CMOS" finding no jumper for this test i removed the battery, left it out for a minute or 2 then replaced it. still same thing happened.

i tried holding down insert at powerup but still nothing

i see myself having to buy a new proccesser now
Old 29th November, 2002, 07:00 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Are you SURE it's the CPU that you killed? Do you have another MOBO that you can test it in?

I once had the same thing and it turned out the MOBO was dead.
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 29th November, 2002, 07:15 PM

well it only stopped working after i overclocked the cpu so i guess its the cpu, no i dont have a spare mobo though....... gotta be some way if finding out lol

any ideas on how to figure out which of the 2 is broken i dont fancy having to shell out on both or finding i bought something i didnt need

Last edited by gloc; 29th November, 2002 at 07:46 PM.
Old 1st December, 2002, 07:05 PM
AOA Staff

Find a friend with a MOBO that will work with your CPU. Or you could try HIS CPU in your MOBO.

Rob
AOA Team fah