AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th December, 2002, 10:04 PM

W2k Crashes with Graphic Corruption

Hi All.

I hope someone can help me as I am stumped. My PC Specs are at the bottom of this post.

I have recently come across a problem with my system, when trying to run really Graphic intensive my computer crashes with graphic corruption all over the screen, this has only happened so far with 3DMark2001 and Asherons Call 2. I can play CS, BF1942 and other less intensive games fine without any crashing at all.

Once out of the times it crashed with 3DMark2001 I had the message Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap with a BSOD, I looked up the codes on the Microsoft site & it suggest faulty hardware or memory. So I have tested the VGA card in another system and the card is fine. I tested the memory with Mem86 program and it also comes through fine on the first few tests as well as passing in the Bios every time I boot.

Also, and this is interesting after the crash unless I actually switch the PC off & on rather than just rebooting the Graphic corruption stays on screen. I thought this would point to a problem with the card but as it runs right through the test on another PC then I am not sure.

Here's my Specs:

Windows 2000 Pro (Latest Service packs etc)
AMD 1800XP+ Processor (Not OC'd)
Gainward Geforce 4 Ti4200 (Tried various drivers)
512MB DDR Corsair XMS2700 Cas2 (Running at Cas2)
Epox 8K5A2+ Motherboard
Realtek Lan Card

I would appreciate any help as at the moment I am stuck, like I explained it only crashes with very high details games. I was thinking maybe I have a Bios setting set wrong?

Cheers

Tim
Old 11th December, 2002, 10:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to CeleryMan Send a message via Yahoo to CeleryMan

Ok, im gonna ask a dumb question. While the computer is running, after you get a graphic corruption, have you tried turning the monitor off, then on again? If the corruption hangs like that, it could be that the monitor is funky. There have been known issues with monitors causing strange pc reactions if the vid card and monitor dont agree. Try changing monitors. My LCD screen doesnt play well with my Asus GeForce 2 MX400, although it works, my system seems to actually run smoother with less lag on my old Packard Bell 14". The other couple things I can think of atm are for one, if your vid card is AGP, is your AGP bus shot on your mobo? Try a PCI card. And, if your card is PCI, then try an AGP card or try switching PCI slots. The other thing is, have you tried different memory? This could very well be your problem. However, I think, if you have tested the vid card already, you should try a different card in the same system, and investigate your motherboard. As for BIOS settings, you could check to make sure 4x anti-aliasing is enabled, this would help, and I would recommend against shadowing video memory in the BIOS settings.
Tear on your undesirable cry, the times that we've tried, and ended up making things worse than they were before, ever could have been or thought to be. Im moving on without you. Im moving on without my light, and no, I won't cry tonight..... - OBA
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th December, 2002, 10:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Some times even in a non-overclocked system, upping the Voltage to your ram and CPU can help. try a 1.85 ram setting to start off.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th December, 2002, 10:48 PM

Thanks for quick replys,

I'm pretty sure its not the Monitor as I used the same video card & monitor in my old system & it worked perfect with 3DMark etc. It could be the AGP slot of my mobo though as this is a brand new system, but I have no way to test this as I don't have a spare board.

I haven't got a PCI card capable of running the advanced tests in 3DMark such as the Pixel Shader Tests (This is where my PC Crashes so it would be pointless testing the lower tests as it runs through the majority of the lower tests fine), I currently have an old replacement GF2 Ti in my system and this seems to be working fine, although as I said the GF4 worked fine with low game settings.

Also as the GF4 runs perfect through the Advanced tests on another base unit I am certain its not the direct culprit for my problem, although it could be settings related to it.

I'll try upping the Voltage for the ram thanks, I have also got some different DDR Ram to try. Any other ideas' welcomed!

I'll report back

Thanks again, much appreciated!
Old 11th December, 2002, 10:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yes please keep us posted, we learn as we go!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 11th December, 2002, 11:24 PM

Ok the Corsair Ram is already set to 2.5V by default in my system? Gonna try the Samsung Ram and see what happens
Old 11th December, 2002, 11:26 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

My BAD! I meant 2.85, sorry! If that fixes things for you try lowering it again to the lowest setting that still gives you a good result.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 11th December, 2002 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12th December, 2002, 04:06 AM

Problem solved..

It was the Corsair XMS2700 Memory causing the problem, either my system doesn't like it or its faulty (although I ran Mem86 test on it and it passed). Either way its going back and being swapped for Samsung 2700 I hope.

Anyway the Samsung DDR2100 I borrowed from my work has made my system stable again (touch wood), it passes the 3DMark 2001 with flying colours

Thank you all very much for your help!

P.S If your interested the benchmark came through at 10137 with 256MB of the crappy 2100 instead of my 512MB of my broken 2700.
Old 12th December, 2002, 09:09 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Aparantly 3dmark runs best with 256MB, can you let us know your results with 512 so we can prove it once and for all one way or another?

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 12th December, 2002, 12:57 PM

Corsair 2700 is only overclocked 2100 chips.

Your propper samsung 2700 is much better.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 12th December, 2002, 01:06 PM

Ok tested with 512MB of Samsung PC2100 (Two Sticks) the benchmark came through at 10000 exactly.

I have a feeling overclockers.co.uk aren't gonna take back my Corsair RAM though, as it passes basic memory tests. Maybe I should send it back to Corsair directly, as they will do more intensive tests with returns I should think?