AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th December, 2002, 10:37 PM

Broken Traces

I have an 8k5a3+ and love the board, that is until I killed it removing a heatsink. I used one that mounts in the four holes around the cpu, i forget the brand, swiftec i think. Anyway in the course of removing in and replacing it a few times I forgot to put back the soft black spacers that go between the mb and the metal screws that the heatsink screw into. Long story short is there are now a few broken traces right around 2 of these holes on the motherboard. I can see the traces where there are broken and am sure it is why the board boots no longer.

Question-where can i get something like this fixed and more importantly is it worth it to even try.

Many Thanks
Old 11th December, 2002, 10:41 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I would try! But not sure of what the best thing to use would be. I've used super glue around Chip bridges successfully, but am not at all sure in your case that that's the thing to use, Anyone?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th December, 2002, 11:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to CeleryMan Send a message via Yahoo to CeleryMan

you can simply take a soldering iron with a farely decent tip, and apply solder to the tip then carefully drag the hot solder across where the traces are broken. if you are not comfortable with doing this, any repair shop could probly just do it for a couple bucks. if you do it yourself, the only real precaution you need to take is not to hold the soldering iron in one spot for a prolonged length of time, as you could fry a cap or transistor. i have done these kind of repairs several times, if you would like maybe we can arrange for you to ship the mobo to me, me fix the traces, more than likely i can test it, then ship it back to you.
Tear on your undesirable cry, the times that we've tried, and ended up making things worse than they were before, ever could have been or thought to be. Im moving on without you. Im moving on without my light, and no, I won't cry tonight..... - OBA
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th December, 2002, 12:04 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I'm sorry, I was thinking EXPOSED traces rather than BROKEN traces, Bad hair day!!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 12th December, 2002, 12:29 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

You could try the glop that's in automobile rear window defogger grid repair kits. You'd need to mask the areas where you don't need the goop carefully and use a pin or suchlike as a "brush."
Old 12th December, 2002, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CeleryMan
you can simply take a soldering iron with a farely decent tip, and apply solder to the tip then carefully drag the hot solder across where the traces are broken. if you are not comfortable with doing this, any repair shop could probly just do it for a couple bucks. if you do it yourself, the only real precaution you need to take is not to hold the soldering iron in one spot for a prolonged length of time, as you could fry a cap or transistor. i have done these kind of repairs several times, if you would like maybe we can arrange for you to ship the mobo to me, me fix the traces, more than likely i can test it, then ship it back to you.
This will work for a slight break if your carefull, if he has done allot of damage this sort of repair becomes too hard.

You might be able to use paint but I wouldt hold out much hope.

Good luck. (your gona need it)

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 12th December, 2002, 08:11 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Maybe silver conductive ink? Applied with a pin or needle? One hassle is that the protective transparent layer will probably have to be removed on both sides of the broken trace. A repair shop is sounding like the best option at this point. They may not guarantee success, though.