AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th December, 2002, 11:57 PM

Boot Problem

My system was running fine (ran Prime95 without crashing for 12hours - I stopped it) but now i cannot boot into windows. After going through BIOS it stops at
verifying dmi pool data ..........
_

and then nothing
it dosnt matter if i reset the cmos, whether i change the IDE cables AND i cannot boot from a bootable cd either.
Does anyone have any ideas?! please help as i need to get this working today!
thanks so much!

right i'm running an athlon 800 on an ABIT KT7A-RAID and the HD is an IBM GXP 120GB plugged into the raid ide with a personaly folded (to make it round) 80 wire IDE cable
dunker for all the help

I've also tried flatening the rounded ide cable and plugging it into the regular ide controller as opposed to the RAID one. I've also pulled out all the pci cards, the only thing thats in there is the GF4
Old 30th December, 2002, 12:43 AM

Possible solutions:
1. clear CMOS battery.
2. unplug all other add-on cards except video card and floppy drive see if it can boot from floppy. Then put peripherals in one by one to identify which peripherals cause the lockup
3. change the CPU

Another solution is here

Two more solutions from a well known source:
Possible Resolution Methods:

Method One:

Apply power to the computer.
Access the system BIOS.
Set the drive type as None or Not Installed.
Then Load the BIOS Defaults
Then Load the SETUP Defaults
Save the BIOS changes and reboot the PC to a System Boot Diskette.
Shut down the PC after the memory count is displayed.
Reconnect the power and interface cables to the hard drive.
Access the System BIOS.
Auto-Detect the hard drive. Ensure that the LBA Mode option is enabled.
Save the BIOS changes and restart the PC with a System Diskette.
Partition and format the hard drive via the operating system.
Restart the system. On boot, the screen should read:

Verifying DMI Pool Data
Update Successful
The system should continue booting normally.

Method Two:

Apply power to the computer.
Access the System BIOS.
Disable both the Internal and External CPU Cache. These features are located in either the "BIOS Features" or "Advanced Settings" options of the BIOS Setup.
NOTE: Consult the System or Motherboard User's Manual for exact location of the Internal and External CPU Cache settings.
Save the BIOS changes and restart the PC to a System Boot Diskette. On startup, the screen should read:
Verifying DMI Pool Data
Update Successful

After the system successfully boots, re-start the PC and access the system BIOS.
Enable the External CPU Cache. This feature is located in the "BIOS Features" or "Advanced Settings".
NOTE: Consult the System or Motherboard User's Manual for exact location of the External CPU Cache setting.
! WARNING ! User's MUST re-enable this feature after resolving the problem for optimal system performance.
Save the BIOS changes and restart the PC to a System Boot Diskette. On startup, the screen should read:

Verifying DMI Pool Data
Update Successful

NOTE: If the aforementioned methods fail to resolve the issue, contact the system or motherboard manufacturer to either clear the CMOS or flash update the BIOS for your motherboard. This will entail either:

Removing the "Clear CMOS" Jumper and resetting the system BIOS; or.
Obtaining and applying a Flash BIOS Upgrade for your motherboard.

The bottom line? It is probably a conflict in the BIOS and the hardware.

Hope this helps.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th December, 2002, 12:45 AM

Please help! I'm having no luck solving this on my own
Old 30th December, 2002, 01:56 AM

What have you tried?
Do you know how to get into the BIOS? (Just need to know your level of experience)
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th December, 2002, 03:01 AM

Thanks for the help. As to my experience, it is considerable, I've built several systems from the ground up and trouble shot them.

The thing is that i cannot boot from anything, i've disconnected everything except the floppy and tried to boot from a disk and it still freezes at the same point.

What is this pointing to as a problem? The mobo? cpu? or the IDE devices themselves?

thanks again for the help!

<- this is what i'm about to go do!
Old 30th December, 2002, 03:38 AM

Have you tried resetting the CMOS? I'd disconnect the power, reset the jumper, pulling the battery and letting it be foe 5 minutes.
THis will help. Then boot without any IDE devices except the floppy. Go into the BIOS and see what IDE devices are showing. There should be none.

Old 30th December, 2002, 05:41 AM

Done.
Still stalls at the same spot. Either with a bootable floppy or without one. Actually just thought of something, I'll try it without any devices at all. Maybe that'll work.
keep the help coming!
Old 30th December, 2002, 05:46 AM

right, well i tried that and still nothing.
this really has me at my wits end, its driving me nuts!!
Old 30th December, 2002, 07:56 AM

Does the floppy LED come on? If not, the cable could be reversed or bad altogether.

Old 30th December, 2002, 03:03 PM

maybe the bios has become corrupted, but then again if you cant even boot off floppy you are still stuck because in order to flash your bios you need to be able to boot off floppy. A;though I believe some bios's do have an option where it will flash itself by holding a certain key at bootup and having a floppy disk with the bios image on in the floppy drive.
Old 31st December, 2002, 07:11 PM

I've tried everything. Still no luck. I dont want to waste 15 on a new bios and its about time for an upgrade so i guess i'll just wait a month or two and get a new mobo, cpu and ram. Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 31st December, 2002, 07:57 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Physically inspect the mobo's capacitors. I had 3 ABIT boards that died on me in the last 9 months. I bought them all about 2 1/2 years ago.

On each, some of the caps were bubbling and/or leaking. I can't explain it... but the mobos started behaving just like you described... first at oc'd speeds, then even at stock... All ended up in the trash.
Old 1st January, 2003, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by agean
I've tried everything. Still no luck. I dont want to waste 15 on a new bios and its about time for an upgrade so i guess i'll just wait a month or two and get a new mobo, cpu and ram. Thanks for all the help guys!
Sorry it didn't work out, hope the new year if filled with more success!

Old 10th January, 2003, 11:46 PM

Good Point!!
I looked and i did find 2 capacitors that have some yellow crud on top! looks like their leaking.
I'm gonna order a couple replacements and solder them in. I'll tell you how it goes.
thanks again for the help!
Old 13th January, 2003, 11:50 AM

Location: There's a hole in the sky that we all want to fall through...

"Solder them on?" RMA time, surely. Even if your mobo is a couple of years old, it shouldn't be melting... unless you've invalidated your warranty by some proveable means...

:-)
EPoX 8K3AE 512Mb PC2700WD Caviar ATA133 80Gb nVidia GeForce2 AGP4x 64Mb 425W PSU XP Pro Vanilla OEM HS&F Palamino 2000+ @ 140*12.5 = 1.75GHz ...a cool 60 in the shade
Old 13th January, 2003, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David Shh!
[Bunless you've invalidated your warranty by some proveable means...

:-) [/B]
Heaven forbid! LOL