AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th January, 2003, 12:27 AM
Member/Contributer

Everything was going well.....

My system had been on for about 4 days continuously downloading some stuff. This morning it had finished, so I turned it off and went to work. When I turned it on I got a win.sys.config file mising error...restart with your XP disc...press r.....
Well I had to reinstall XP all over again, luckily most of my data is on another partition, so I still have it.

Here is my question. My "new" C/Programs folder is empty. My C partition is 10GB, but Win says that I've only got 3.6GB left! If I use Win Explorer and explore "C" I find that all my old files and programs are still there, in the old C/Programs folder??

I thought reinstalling would have formatted the drive. Anyway, is there anyway that I can get the old C/Programs folder into the new one? Or do I have to format C completely and begin afresh?

Thanks!

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th January, 2003, 01:15 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

First guess, run a virus scan!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th January, 2003, 04:07 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

when you reinstaled, there were a few menu options, repair, instal in diff dir, remormat...

you can'y use the programs from the previous install, so refomat, and start over so you get your old programs back.
Old 17th January, 2003, 08:08 PM
Member/Contributer

Thanks for the replies.
When re-installing I chose to repair. It did what looked and seemed like a new install. Except that my new C/Programs folder is empty (only has the default stuff in it) and if I use Windows Explorer I can navigate to C/Programs, and find all my old apps in there! The question is, is it possible to get the old Prgrams folder back into the new one as it should be? So that ->START->PROGRAMS-> will list all the programs installed in C:?

AOA Team fah
Old 17th January, 2003, 08:18 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Sorry, I think there must be, but I don't have a clue!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 17th January, 2003, 09:56 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazgoat
.... The question is, is it possible to get the old Prgrams folder back into the new one as it should be? So that ->START->PROGRAMS-> will list all the programs installed in C:?
Unfortunately, the answer is no. The programs and groups on the start button are no more than shortcuts placed there by the programs.... that's the easy part. Windows has not registered each of these programs, and even if you manually went to the executables and ran them, in all likelihood you would end up with a ton of headeaches... back up your stuff... and reformat.
Old 18th January, 2003, 12:38 AM
Member/Contributer

Hi SteveI and Dan. I'm going in the process of backing up and I'll reinstall tomorrow.
SteveI, you said that Windows will not register the programs from the earlier install. Funnily enough they all work ok so far! I cant explain it. Thanks for the help though.

BTW where did you get that 22.9GHz CPU in your sig from?

AOA Team fah
Old 18th January, 2003, 02:50 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Ya know I remember when windows 3.1 would search out programs on your hard drive and install them.

But windows 95 would not, and non of the other OS's would.

I liked that feature, I just wish that they still had it.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 18th January, 2003, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazgoat

BTW where did you get that 22.9GHz CPU in your sig from?

That's a total number (he has several machines)