AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd January, 2003, 07:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to JamesUK

are bios chips easy to replace?

hi am just ordering a replacement bios for my 8rda+ i don't know if it will fix my problem, hopfuly it will do, but my question is: is the bios on the board easy to take out and then replace?

thanks
AMD ATHLON 64 FX-57 | 2 GB CORSAIR XMS3200C2PT CAS2.0 RAM | ASUS A8N-SLI PREMIUM | 2 X 250GB WESTON DIGITAL SATA 2 (16MB CACHE) HDD | BFG GEFORCE 7800GTX | PIONEER DVR-109 | WINDOWS XP PRO SP2 | TAGAN 580 WATT PSU
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd January, 2003, 10:34 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I've only pulled a BIOS chip once. I recommend having a chip-pulling tool that's the right size for your BIOS chip.

I didn't, so I used a house key to lever out the BIOS chip. BIG MISTAKE. I cut four solder traces on the mainboard pulling this bonehead stunt. Ka-ching! Bye bye $129.
Old 23rd January, 2003, 10:41 PM
AOA Staff

you really should have a tool that will get under both sides at once to yank it
Old 28th January, 2003, 05:29 PM

You can get a eeprom puller "bios chip" from radio shack....

I have a question, I need a new bios chip or someone with a nforce motherboard to hot swap with?....

You can hot swap really easy.......

I also need to know were you can buy the bios chip for the 8rda+...

Anyone live in Eugene, Oregon for a hot swap...

Jason
PC Power & Cooling 510 Deluxe
X800XT (ASAP) ATM 9800XT

Last edited by Jasonx5213; 28th January, 2003 at 05:35 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th January, 2003, 06:39 PM

Send me your chip and I'll be happy to hot flash it with my 8RDA+ board. PM me if you are interested. No problemo
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 28th January, 2003, 10:36 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to JamesUK

hiya Uncle Bob thanks for the offer, tis very nice of you, but your in america (which isn't the problem by the way) am in the uk it would probably be cheaper for me to just buy a new 8rda+ bios again from epox than the shipping from and to america.

thanks anyway though
AMD ATHLON 64 FX-57 | 2 GB CORSAIR XMS3200C2PT CAS2.0 RAM | ASUS A8N-SLI PREMIUM | 2 X 250GB WESTON DIGITAL SATA 2 (16MB CACHE) HDD | BFG GEFORCE 7800GTX | PIONEER DVR-109 | WINDOWS XP PRO SP2 | TAGAN 580 WATT PSU
Old 29th January, 2003, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesUK
hiya Uncle Bob thanks for the offer, tis very nice of you, but your in america (which isn't the problem by the way) am in the uk it would probably be cheaper for me to just buy a new 8rda+ bios again from epox than the shipping from and to america.

thanks anyway though
No problem, JamesUK. I did have one sent to me from the UK for 68 (cents?) via Air Mail that took 4 days to get to me so you are looking at a possible 10 day turnaround.. I didn't have to send it back, but I'm sure postage couldn't be much. Your call!

I was talking to Jasonx5213 as well. He lives in Eugene, OR. One state away!
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Old 1st February, 2003, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jasonx5213
You can get a eeprom puller "bios chip" from radio shack....

I have a question, I need a new bios chip or someone with a nforce motherboard to hot swap with?....

You can hot swap really easy.......

I also need to know were you can buy the bios chip for the 8rda+...

Anyone live in Eugene, Oregon for a hot swap...

Jason
I got the chip, it's all flashed with the *RDA3129.bin BIOS and works great. It's packed up and going out in the mail Sat morn! Best o luck to ya!

Old 2nd February, 2003, 01:53 AM

Nie to see you being so helpful bob

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 2nd February, 2003, 02:16 AM

It's the simple things, right?

Old 2nd February, 2003, 03:08 AM

Thank you,

Bob!!

I will take and flash another bios around here with the the same bios version when I get the original back and save it for somthing like this.........

You are a life saver.........

Jason
PC Power & Cooling 510 Deluxe
X800XT (ASAP) ATM 9800XT
Old 2nd February, 2003, 03:15 AM

Happy to help. It's "in the mail"

Old 20th February, 2003, 07:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to e_storm

pardon the silly question, but this is the first I've heard of hot flashing the bios chip. How do you do it exactly?

is it:
1) boot into dos
2) pull bios chip
3) insert new bios chip
4) flash it
5) pull new and newly flashed bios chip
6) put in old, working bios chip
7) reboot to see if anything is broken

is that what hot flashing is?

reason I ask is that I did what cloasters did too. Had a bad flash cause of a bad floppy, dead board and system. Tried ordering a new cmos chip and pulling me existing one. I was pretty careful but I ended up killing the board evidently when I pulled the old cmos chip. Bad idea = 3 weeks later finally got my replacement board and a lesson learned.
Old 20th February, 2003, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by e_storm
pardon the silly question, but this is the first I've heard of hot flashing the bios chip. How do you do it exactly?

is it:
1) boot into dos
2) pull bios chip
3) insert new bios chip
4) flash it
5) pull new and newly flashed bios chip
6) put in old, working bios chip
7) reboot to see if anything is broken

is that what hot flashing is?

reason I ask is that I did what cloasters did too. Had a bad flash cause of a bad floppy, dead board and system. Tried ordering a new cmos chip and pulling me existing one. I was pretty careful but I ended up killing the board evidently when I pulled the old cmos chip. Bad idea = 3 weeks later finally got my replacement board and a lesson learned.
The sequence is a little off from what I've done.

1) boot into dos
2) pull bios chip
3) insert new bios chip
4) flash it
5) reboot to see if anything is broken
6) pull new and newly flashed bios chip
7) put in old, working bios chip
That's more like it! I suggest if you lack the tools, get the correct ones. "Tools make the job" is a good adage to remember. Using a house key is not a recommended method. I've used a plastic screwdriver and found if I'm gentle, it pops right out. The older larger chips that Cloasters was (probably) dealing with would require a set of pullers, available at Radio Shack for under $5. Much cheaper than $129 doncha know!

Old 20th February, 2003, 09:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to e_storm

thanks Uncle Bob...very useful info for the future.

Are you booting into Dos from a floppy? I have a Dos boot disk, I was just wondering if your booting into windows text mode or something like that instead of real Dos? I would assume Dos from a floppy is best, but I just want to be sure before I try it.
Old 21st February, 2003, 12:39 AM

Oh yes, ALWAYS from pure DOS. I don't try this from Windows. I just use a 98SE boot disk and boot without CD ROM support. Put the award flash file on one (newly formatted) disk and the BIOS file on another (newly formatted) disk.