AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st January, 2003, 08:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to TheAmazingRando Send a message via Yahoo to TheAmazingRando

Unhappy VERY unhappy system

Ok, this is really starting to piss me off now but I need some help.

ASUS A7V266
6.6.2 Athlon XP 2100+
512MB Micron PC2700
PowerMagic 350w P/S
VisionTek Geforce4 Ti4200 64MB
SB-Live! 5.1
60G Maxtor DiamondMax (P-M)
20G Seagate Barracuda (P-S)
Afrey DVD-ROM (S-M)
Sony 32x10x40 CD-RW (S-S)

I am having terrible problems with several things... here is a list

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL from ntoskrnl.exe
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

First off I get all three of these errors all the time with no specific pattern.

Second of all I have files going corrupt all over my hard drive, with no messages from HDD S.M.A.R.T.

Third of all there will be random lines of pixels that will be black in my windows background... not dead but black (will change when a window is opened over the top of them).

And fourth... this is the weirdest one yet... My system will usually work fine (for a while) on boots where my CD-RW is detected in BIOS but NOT by Windows.

My system is running as close to normal as possible as far as any OC goes. However my Vcore and +12v voltages are running very high (high enough to trip alarms).

I have tried reinstalling the new 4in1's and Nvidia drivers. This seems to work for a short while then back to the same old stuff.

I have also tried to watch the Event Viewer but it turns up nothing out of the ordinary.

Any help would be extremely useful.

Yes, like the one from MST3K.

"The day Microsoft makes a vaccum cleaner is the day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st January, 2003, 02:45 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

With the list of problems you've mentioned, it sounds very strongly as if there's a hardware problem.

The various bluescreens put together indicate a problem with memory corruption - which would tie in with the corrupt files on the hard disk. Memory corruption often affects the hard disk contents due to cacheing.

If you can, strip the system back down to the basics. That means, motherboard, RAM, CPU, video card and hard disk(s). You are allowed a keyboard and mouse in addition. If you have a multimeter, then actually measure the voltages at the ATX connector, or a hard disk connector. If you don't have a multimeter, consider getting a cheap one!

Can you tell us what your core and PSU voltages actually are, and how you measured them. It could be that your PSU has developed a fault.

Áedán
Old 31st January, 2003, 05:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to TheAmazingRando Send a message via Yahoo to TheAmazingRando

I don't think that my memory is bad... just ran testmem for 8 hours and found no problems. I will try striping down the system though.

Thanks for the help

"The day Microsoft makes a vaccum cleaner is the day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st January, 2003, 09:11 PM

Well... I ran BurnInTest on my machine and it failed due to memory problems so I just ordered another stick of 512. But I wonder why memtest wouldn't find an error but BurnInTest did?

Any ideas?

Old 31st January, 2003, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Áedán
Can you tell us what your core and PSU voltages actually are, and how you measured them. It could be that your PSU has developed a fault.
According to MBM and Asus PC probe (both newest versions), Vcore is 1.85v (should be around 1.75) and +12v is around 13.5v. The rest of the voltages are nominal.

My old multimeter finally bit the dust and I've been putting it off but I guess its time to buy a new one.

Old 1st February, 2003, 01:55 AM

Possible bad memory or IDE cable would be my first thoughts.

You would e amazed at how many different problems bad memory can cause, and memtest86 wont allways pick up a bad stick.

You may have just corrupted windows by overclocking.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 8th February, 2003, 02:26 PM

Is that one of the 2100 t-bred b's?
If it is the v-core should be 1.6,even the palaminos run happily with less than 1.7 volts in my limited experience.mine runs at 1.575 in bios but registers 1.62 by software and easily runs 2000 mhz.Trying to oc farther with more voltage i received the same errors and had to run sfc to replace corrupt files.
2x Maxtor 80 gig DM9's SI raid0
2x Maxtor 60 gig DM9's Acard raid0
sk7 with 80 mm sunon
win 2000 pro
Old 12th February, 2003, 05:48 PM

Smile Everything's A-OK

I got my new 512 stick and reinstalled windows.

My system runs like a charm again.

Thanks for all the help.

By the way www.otherworldcomputing.com has good RAM prices and cheap shipping... you just have to ignore all of the Mac jargon. Guaranteed for life too.

Old 13th February, 2003, 03:27 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome aboard AOA Forums, TheAmazingRando!

Glad to read that you fixed the problem! Not so glad to read that Crucial PC-2700 let you down, especially with an Asus mainboard.