AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 31st January, 2003, 07:35 PM

Laptop resurrection rites

My laptop died a few months ago. It simply stopped turning on one day. I had some important work on it so I amputated the hard drive, however this also died some weeks later.

I inhumed it in its bod bag and left it in the corner of my room for a few months.

Just thought I'd have another go tonight. Turned it on and...BIOS! Compaq logo appears, RAm gets counted up and you can get into the BIOS settings. The RAM count also takes a lot longer than it used to - about a second per mb.

However, the RAM gets counted as the 32mb on board and never finds the extra 32mb card storde under the keyboard.

I set the BIOS to boot from the multibay (CDROM) to try to boot the win98 CD and get a dos prompt since the HD is long gone. Invalid system disk etc error - although you do hear the CD drive spinning up.

Long before it reawakened like this, I had attempted to get inside the shell to look for loose connections and stuff. I never managed to get the thing open properly, its stuck somewhere near the back of the machine and the shell wont split open unless I go and break it.

Its about a year and a half out of warantee so thats out of the question.

I somehow doubt it but does anyone thing this is fixable? Seems like it could be a motherboard error although I can get into the BIOS now.

Don't want to scrap the machine as it cost nigh on £400 (second hand from ebay - never risking that one again...)

The spec is: Compaq Armada M700, PII 366MHz, 64mb RAM, 56k Lucent Modem module.

Failing a fix, does anyone know any good demons to summon upon the machine?:devil: :devil:

AOA Team fah

Last edited by stigweed; 31st January, 2003 at 07:38 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st January, 2003, 08:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ByteWipe

The cost for fixing it will probably exceed the cost of buying another second hand laptop....

Main Rig: AMD XP 2000+ @ 1790Mhz (142Mhz FSB), Leadtek Winfast K7N415DA Mobo, Leadtek WinFast A250LE TD GF4 Ti4200 64MB @ 305/589, Crucial 256MB DDR PC2100 RAM, 92GB hard drive space, Chieftec Scorpio TX-10BD Case, 2 Papst 80mm Case Fans (40cfm each), Akasa AK-821 2Q Silent CPU Cooler (20cfm). Win XP Pro. 45C idle, 54C full load. 3DMark2001SE: 11020

Server: AMD K6-2 500Mhz @ 550Mhz (110Mhz FSB), Gigabyte GA-5AX Mobo, S3 Trio 4MB, 224MB P100 RAM, stock CPU cooler. Win 2000 Pro
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st January, 2003, 09:08 PM

Well I got it into DOS. Turned out you have to enable Multibay AND CD booting separately. It's now reliable at booting up but it cant handle software resets - the screen just goes blank and stays switced on whether you reset from dos or at the bios.

The RAM still appears to be knackered although it does get warm when it switched on.

But now it looks like all I need is a hard drive for. Just down to whether I can be arsed to pay for a new one assuming the machine holds together long enough to install it and get it up and running.

AOA Team fah