AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd February, 2003, 08:54 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Betty Send a message via MSN to Betty

Disk Boot Failure!!!

I attempted reformatting tonight...I try to run xp setup and the message I get is:
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

It was kind of a bugger from the get-go, reformatted from an old 98 boot disk with cd-rom support and tried to run xp pro from there, no go. So, I tried my win2k pro from there....no go....in win2k, I went to dir (off the cd-rom), then i386, and got the message that it couldn't run in dos, same with in xp.

I ran scandisk and there are no bad sectors, took apart my cd-writer and cleaned it, thinking perhaps it might have some bits o' dirt in it....both cd's are in good shape and readable....tested them out elsewhere....just can't do anything....I'm currently making a boot disk for xp and I'm hoping like hell that will do the trick.

Otherwise....HELP!!!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Boy, What a ride!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd February, 2003, 09:33 AM
Member/Contributer

Well, quick update....so far, so good with the boot disks...*touch wood* I don't wanna jinx myself....I was just getting panicky about things. =S
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Boy, What a ride!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd February, 2003, 09:50 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Glad to read that your mosheen is on the mend, Betty!
Old 3rd February, 2003, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Betty
Well, quick update....so far, so good with the boot disks...*touch wood* I don't wanna jinx myself....I was just getting panicky about things. =S
Another way to do it is to go into the BIOS and set the CD to first book device and restart with Win XP CD in the drive. Works great. I just do that and then reset the first boot back to floppy after installation. XP will not install from DOS is why you got that message I believe.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 5th February, 2003, 08:19 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bob
Another way to do it is to go into the BIOS and set the CD to first book device and restart with Win XP CD in the drive. Works great. I just do that and then reset the first boot back to floppy after installation. XP will not install from DOS is why you got that message I believe.
Did that.....it wouldn't go....not at all...none of my operating systems would...I think there's something not quite right with my cd-rom....not the first time I've had problems with it.
Old 5th February, 2003, 09:34 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
Originally posted by Betty

Did that.....it wouldn't go....not at all...none of my operating systems would...I think there's something not quite right with my cd-rom....not the first time I've had problems with it.
Well you have 2 systems Betty.

Just swap drives.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 6th February, 2003, 04:10 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Or open the tray, rotate the CD-ROM an inch and try again. 98SE was the bestest with CD-ROM's. "Please insert Win98SE CD-ROM and click here."
"I(Win98SE) can't find the file. I can't find the file. I can't find the file." Find this you sone a beeatch.

The "Search" feature in SE sucked, too. Type the name of the file and the path. "Can't find it." How many days does The Bill deserve on the rack?
Old 8th February, 2003, 11:42 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally posted by Staz

Well you have 2 systems Betty.

Just swap drives.
That would have made far too much sense