AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th February, 2003, 11:44 PM

a BIG problem with a Barracuda IV ..help !

given harddisk : Barracuda 4 with 3 partitions(1ntfs + 2 fat32)

sittuation : while trying to make it slave i accidentally put the jumper

on the " USE ONLY 32 GB" slot ;( ;( (i personally haven't encountered such an option before)

after working a few minutes with the other installed hdd , i found out that the info on the Barracuda cannot be red;

now it only reads 2 partitions (tried all jumper settings ) and Win2000 says they aren't formatted !!

help ! is there ANY way to recover the data ?!!!!
Old 20th February, 2003, 12:21 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I think the data is gone. SBT.
Old 20th February, 2003, 01:27 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

try taking the jumper off of 32GB only?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th February, 2003, 01:55 AM

piccoLEW , i tried all jumper combinations .. same results ;(

i also tried Seagate software - > no change ;(
Old 20th February, 2003, 12:10 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Technically, it would be possible to rebuild the partition tables. This would require low-level editing the partition table and logical entries on the disk itself. Screwing this up can leave the disk in a worse position than when you started.

For NTFS, there are tools out there that can scan the disk to locate the MFT and other file structures. This allows them to then retreive data from the disk. I believe there are similar tools for FAT32 as well.

They cost money, and I can't make any recommendations, having never used any of them!
Old 20th February, 2003, 01:16 PM

yes , currently im using  Active patiotion recovery which scans the entire hdd for partitions ..too bad is only demo (cant write anything) ; but it only finds the NTFS partition !? ..hmm ill do more research

thank you for your replies
Old 20th February, 2003, 06:14 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA's Forums, DrPara!

This is encouraging news from Aidan! BTW, the "use only 32 Gb" jumper selection is there to make the drive compatible with the BIOS's of old mainboards.
Old 21st February, 2003, 11:31 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Please see the "Help!!!" thread in this topic heading. dod's post may be helpful.