AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd February, 2003, 06:50 AM

No Post No post

Ok so here is my tale of woa.
First off Ive been OCing and building rigs for several yrs so I'm no noob. This is kinda long but I think all the info is needed.
My wifes rig is the topic here specs are
ECS K7S5A and K7S5A pro (bought today), 1 gig duron and a 1600 palimino, 512 mg pc2100 and 256 pc2100, radeon 8500 and a gf3ti200, maxtor 20 gig 7200 and a maxtor 40 gig 7200, enhance 300w psu, asus 32x12x40/sony 16x dvd or 44x generic cdrom and a floppy.

I list two item because I have gone through this much stuff trying to get this going. So heres the tale,
This rig starts acting up (video problems) so I replaced the vid card. A AIW128pro to a radeon 8500. bought from a trusted source on forum. Things seem to be ok for about a week then the wifes calls me into the room to see a message at boot up. Message stated something about a windows file not loading correctly and she said the cdrom drives were flashing and would not stop. SO I pop in the handy win98 disk and install windows over the existing install. The install completed fine with no problems and the error message was gone. Cd-roms seemed to be ok.
Last night my wife calls me again to look at a web page. The game she was playing had a freinds list and one of her freinds was online but the box was not big enough to click the send message button. so I tinkered with that this morning and reset the res and adjusted the screen a bit and all was fine. I rebooted to insure that the settings were in fact set. Rebooted fine and the screen was the right size. Though I noticed the strange flashing lights on the cd-roms. They were both flashing first one then the other etc. I rebooted once more and the res was at default. I rebooted again and I got no post. Hit the reset button and got to a windows scandisk page but it never booted to windows. would not post after that. I swapped memory with a new stick I had here no post, I unplugged both the cd-roms no post, I unplugged the hdd no post.
Hmmm maybe the motherboard? I went to the local computer show and bought a new k7s5apro and a 1800 tbred ( and a couple goodies for me ). Pulled the working 1600 pali out of my working rig and put the new mobo, 1600 and radeon 8500 in the case and hit the power button. Beep ahh a post. Powered down and tried again Beep-----Beep beep Ok its posting I'm happy. Her rig was running with a maxtor 20 gig. I wanted to do a clean install so I hooked up a 40 gig I had here as master the 20 as slave the dvd as secondary master and the burner as secondary slave. OK hit the power button----Beep hit del to enter bios to setup. All is good set the bios up and f10 to save. No post AAAHHHhhhhrrrrgggghhh.

Swapped the radeon out with my gf3 out of my now desimated rig and no post. Unhooked all drives and no post. PSU is giving strong 5v and 12v reading with a multimeter. What happened? Is this some virus? Did I miss something? Help please guys I'm pulling whats left of my hair out and that aint much.
Old 23rd February, 2003, 10:44 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Dunno if this helps. If not, I apologize. K7S5A's are picky about PS's. It's an inexpensive mainboard that demands an expensive power supply.

The flashing of the LED's happens on both of my CD-ROM's, every time I boot up. Maybe it's just a modern feature?

AFAIK, you will get an error message the first time you boot any K7S5A. The trick is to press whatever key it wants to continue booting. This error message is pure hooey. It caught me by surprise with the first K7S5A I had! Simply press the required key to continue booting. You won't see this error message again.
Old 24th February, 2003, 12:35 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have a decent power supply and problem is the fact that I was getting no post. I did however get the system going after a complete tear down and reassembley. Perhaps some thing was grounding out the mobo. I'm not sure about the first mobo(k7s5a). I'll be testing it out of the box tonight.