AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th February, 2003, 04:15 PM

Angry Brand new system, hangs randomly

Ok, brand new Epox 4G4A+ mb with Intel P4 2.53GHz processor, 512MB DDRAM2700 memory, WD 80GB disk with 8MB cache, Sony CD-RW, Radeon 128MB 9700Pro. Am trying to load system. Have tried XP Pro, 2000 Pro and 98SE. Will hang intermittenly, not in same place. Would love to know where to look. I have tried jumpers, BIOs settings, configurations using and not using video card, but am gaining no ground.

The EPOX bios is version 6.00 labeled AR3.

If anyone has suggestions, please respond to this.

Thanks for reading, may the dot be with you.

Stress
Old 25th February, 2003, 06:22 PM

What PSU?

Update your bios from www.epox.org/bios

You have your bios version wrong, 6.00 is the award version and AR3 means nothing. Epox list there bios by date.

Ditch 98se and concentrate on winXP.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th February, 2003, 06:55 PM

Unhappy

Ok, I get the award version now, but where may I find the version if it is listed by date? How can I verify it?

Thank you for your response, but it raises another question. What is PSU? I do not understand that one, could you explain?

Thanks again.

Stressing out, wondering if I did something wrong...
Old 26th February, 2003, 05:45 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA's Forums, >>ARF<<Stress!

As you boot your machine, press the "Pause/Break" button at the BIOS screen that comes right after the Vidcard, Energy Star page. This will allow you to find the date of your BIOS. After you write it down, just press "Enter" to continue booting.

PSU refers to the Power Supply Unit. Americans usually shorten this to Power Supply, or PS.
Old 26th February, 2003, 07:27 PM

Thanks cloasters. I found the version of my bios was dated 8-02. I have now loaded the newest bios from EPoX. PS - U now I get it. Ok, I have a 600W power supply, should not be a problem. EPoX just told me to try to set the AGP up to 64 and try again, so I will.

Thanks again, and this is a great web site.

Stress
Old 26th February, 2003, 11:50 PM

600watt..

Hmmmm..

Do you have a manufacturer and model number?

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th February, 2003, 12:15 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Aren't most 600 Watter's redundant PS's? And expensive, too!
Old 27th February, 2003, 02:36 AM

The power supply was part of the case from Avancecorp's BL-7004 case, but this is what was on the packing list:

Robanton Pentium 4 - Athlon XP Ready 600 Watt PC Power Supply

As for the redundant bit, I am not sure. As for price, paid $89 for the case and power supply. Thought it sounded good.

Thank you guys so much for responding to this thread. However, the vendor has requested that I send back the system and they will repair it. Hope they find something simple. I WANT THIS SYSTEM UP!!!!

Stress
Old 27th February, 2003, 09:41 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Can't say for certain without seeing the PS, however 600W(that are really 500 or 510W--they say this in bold print on their Web site) PS's from a top of the line outfit list for $369. In theory they can be had for $243, but Pricewatch only lists one 600W mini-redundant PS that comes with an Enlight specialty case, for $1400.

In other words the one that came with your case isn't a 600W power supply. Oh, the perfidy of r/etailer's! Finding trustworthy etailer's isn't all that easy, btw. There are at least 30 bad one's for each good one! Never buy anything PC related before you check the store's reputation at www.resellerratings.com . This is rule one.

If you already RMA'd the machine all we can do is hope that the vendor replaced the PS---and any other component that may have been dodgy. Please keep us posted, this alleged 600W power supply grabbed our attention!
Old 28th February, 2003, 12:52 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by »ÂRF« Stress
Robanton Pentium 4 - Athlon XP Ready 600 Watt PC Power Supply
It's approximately a 500W power supply, despite what they claim on the side. Even cheating a little, I couldn't get the PSU up to 600W! (Could only get up to 591W)

It's got two fans and a nice shiny gold colour though.

My personal preference is to make a system as simple as possible when troubleshooting. If you've got more than one stick of memory, bring it down to a single stick. If there are any other expansion cards, then remove them.

Áedán
Old 28th February, 2003, 07:59 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I stand corrected. 591 is a hell of a lot of Watts! Unless this is a yugly PS hiding behind a nice looking wrapper, we better search for other problems. As Aidan noted, why not strip the mainboard down to 1 DIMM, the Vidcard and the CPU? Leave the hard drive and floppy drive as well as the Front Panel(power, hard drive activity, etc) LED's connected to the mobo.

If the mainboard boots properly, just add one component at a time and see if it still boots OK.