AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th March, 2003, 11:18 PM

Computer won't boot up!

First off, I have an EPox 8k5a2 motherboard. I have a xp1600 and a thermaltake 7+. After installing the fan, my temps were a bit high, so that worried me a little bit. After maybe 2 days, my computer would shut down randomly and make a noise similar to an ambulance. This , as you might imagine, scared the hell out of me. So, after trouble shooting with my friends, we decided that it was the RAM and we changed it and it worked for 1 day perfectly.

Now it's back in my house, and it happened again. So I figured that it must be my cpu over-heating. I went to clean off my hsf and cpu, and then re-applied the thermal paste, put it back together, and now the computer turns on, the cpu fan turns on, and i'm pretty sure I hear the HDD whir over the loud cpu fan, but my monitor does NOT turn on, I just get the blinking orange light.

Knowing what this usually means, I checked my monitor out on another computer, and it worked fine. Then I checked my Video Card , and another video card in my computer, and neither worked so I know that it's not my video card or monitor.

That's all I really have to say, i'm pretty distressed because I posted this on another forums, and no-body is replying, and this really sucks.

Thank you for your help,
-Khaleb
Old 10th March, 2003, 11:27 PM
Member/Contributer

Welcome to AOA forums!

How much thermal paste do you apply, and how did you apply it?

In the BIOS, what are your temperature readings?

I hope we can solve your problem.
Old 10th March, 2003, 11:35 PM

My temperatures WHILE it was working were abnormally high, especially since I am obsessed with temps and that's why I got that Fan. I was running around 43C idle, so I figured that there must not be a good connection, so I reset it and it looked good.

But I must say, I reset the cpu like 5 times, and the first I saw that I applied too much paste , and that some had gotten off of the core, and onto the cpu near the L bridges. The last time I set it, I put a perfect amount (If I may say so) and it's set perfectly.

Thank you for the SPEEDY reply, and I hope this can help you diagnose this problem
Old 11th March, 2003, 12:04 AM
Member/Contributer

43 C idle is fine, don't worry about it. Its the full load temperature thats really interesting. If its below 55C, there is no imminent danger.

You should clean both the CPU and heat sink and remove all previous thermal paste. Then apply a paper thin layer onto the CPU core, and put the heat sink on.

If you don't mind spending a few bucks, get some Arctic Silver or similar thermal paste, as it is better at transferring heat than the cheap white goo.

Try removing the side cover of the case, see if that helps any so far. Like you, I figure its a temperature problem. Can you measure temps in Windows running full load? (You can use folding@home for this, for instance. Read here New Member Guide and FAQ (updated 9-09))

Also, try underclocking to 1050 MHz to see if the problem goes away. If it does, it may very well be a temp problem.
Old 11th March, 2003, 12:11 AM

I did use AC3, and I set the CPU fine, my side problem was that the Volacno 7+ wasn't cooling like my old one, but my real problem is that my computer doesn't turn on... I can't check temps because the monitor doesn't initialize...

-Khaleb
Old 11th March, 2003, 12:14 AM
Member/Contributer

Oh, I think I misunderstood you then.

Perhaps you have a fried chip? Can you loan a CPU from someone and see if it works in your setup?

I assume you have already tried resetting CMOS with jumpers, right?
Old 11th March, 2003, 12:24 AM

I have reset the CMOS and pulled the battery, all to no avail. I was thinking about buying a new CPU, and I think I may, if you're sure that it's not the MotherBoard. The reason I don't think it's the motherboard is because all of the other components seem to work. Is the Orange Blinking Monitor light a common indication of a fried chip?

Thanks for your speedy replys,

-Khaleb
Old 11th March, 2003, 12:58 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally posted by Khaleb
I have reset the CMOS and pulled the battery, all to no avail. I was thinking about buying a new CPU, and I think I may, if you're sure that it's not the MotherBoard. The reason I don't think it's the motherboard is because all of the other components seem to work. Is the Orange Blinking Monitor light a common indication of a fried chip?

Thanks for your speedy replys,

-Khaleb
The "orange blinking monitor indication", now thats a good one!

I get it if I overclock RAM or CPU too much.

I can't promise you that a new CPU will do the trick, sorry. However, my money is on a fried CPU. You may wanna wait for a couple of others to chime in here though, but the AMD CPU's ARE fragile little buggers. Are any of the corners of the core chipped or scratched in any way?

Hope it all works out.
Old 14th March, 2003, 11:11 PM

Ok Allan, I'm really kinda sad now. I ordered a new cpu from Newegg, and it got here and my computer still doesn't work. I am really confused now. It's not the Video Card, the Monitor, or the CPU, that leaves the MOtherBoard I believe.... or could it be the ram? But either way I need some real help... please reply quickly if you can!!!
Old 25th March, 2003, 02:53 AM

it´s the cpu my man!
i had the same problem...all things seemed fine except nothing on monitor...that artic silver badly applied can fry a cpu in no time...a little bit in the bridges and PUFF ,and you dont even know what happpened.return it to the shop if in warranty...
Old 26th March, 2003, 01:10 AM

Had the same problem with this heat sink.fried 2 cpus before I found out that the hold down clip had lost its tension.
Old 26th March, 2003, 02:28 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I was going to mention holding down the insert key when you power on.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd April, 2003, 05:20 AM

It sounds to me like a corrupted bios. The 8K5A2+ really isn't known for that like the 8RDA+ is. But I would try a new bios chip.
Any time you change any hardware always reset the Cmos and set your bios up again. Before booting the machine.

Computer Specs
Old 2nd April, 2003, 05:30 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Does the 5a2 have the diagnostic LED's on the mobo?
just curious what codes you are getting.
Old 2nd April, 2003, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI
Does the 5a2 have the diagnostic LED's on the mobo?
just curious what codes you are getting.
Yes the 8K5A2+ has the diagnostic LED on it. I haven't had any problems with that board. The problem board is the 8RDA+. If you hit the switch and it shows FF and goes no further, Then its probably a corrupted bios. FF after boot up is normal. A corrupted bios lets the fans run but the moniter light stays amber instead of turning green as it should.