AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th March, 2003, 04:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to CaesaR

WIN2k NOT DETECTING HDs !!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, i just installed Win2000 and after the setup is complete it says "starting win2000" and then it gives me a error saying that it cannot detect any Drives and to make sure there powered up ect..... WELL i opened up my case and checked the cabels and there fine SO.... i open up teh BIOS and the Master & Slave are set to AUTO (i have 2 HDs).

Any help is appreciated

-Pat
120gig 7200RPM 8meg Cache
ATI Radeon 9600Pro
9774 3D Marks (2001SE)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th March, 2003, 07:40 AM
Member/Contributer

Are the jumper settings good too? (One master, the other one slave)
Old 11th March, 2003, 08:15 AM

Have you tried disconnecting the drive that doesn't have WIN 2K installed on it and then booting?
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th March, 2003, 11:55 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

You get told it can't find the drives, or you get told "inaccessable boot volume"?

Do you have any RAID controller? Are the PATA hard disks connected to the standard IDE headers or RAID headers?

Áedán
Old 11th March, 2003, 04:32 PM

Aedan,

The Inaccessable boot volume problem has been solved....i just formatted and started from scratch..... and UncleBob ill try and D/C the smaller HD and see what happens
ATI Radeon 9600Pro
9774 3D Marks (2001SE)
Old 11th March, 2003, 04:47 PM

Ok, let us know how you make out.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 11th March, 2003, 05:02 PM

well i unplugged the small drive........and that didnt work and my hand hurts like hell from punching the wall. Win2k setup still cant find the drive

And its going to cost me 150$ just to bring this comp in so im REALLLLY pissed now
ATI Radeon 9600Pro
9774 3D Marks (2001SE)
Old 11th March, 2003, 05:49 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

What does it say in the bios? is reading the drives properly?
WD's have flaky jumper settings. It has 3 important settings... master/slave/standalone. Make sure the jumpers are set right. I always forget when I'm dealing with WDs. Even if you have them set wrong, the bios will usually detect it, even tho you can't use it.

If you have both drives on the same cable.... remember, when you remove the small drive, you have to change the WD pins to stand alone... then when you reattach the small drive, change the WD back to master.
Old 11th March, 2003, 06:15 PM

It reads the drive fine, its just that the setup dosnt detect it...and at the moment im too pissed off with this piece of **** computer thats been nothing but problems since i bouthgt it 2 years ago but the cheap ass company that i got it from wont admit they sold me a lemon and EVERY time i bing it in to get fixed they say "since we cant proove its a defect the warranty wont cover this" and NOW !!!!!! I CANT EVEN INSTALL WIN98 ! IT KEEPS ON SAYING THAT IM INTURRUPING THE INSTALL.cab FILE, **** I HATE THIS PIECE OF **** COMPUTER.

sorry, just venting

edit: not installing win98 anymore
ATI Radeon 9600Pro
9774 3D Marks (2001SE)

Last edited by CaesaR; 11th March, 2003 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11th March, 2003, 06:40 PM

OK in the "Ultra 100 bios" part of the startup it'll detect the drives BUT !!!! when i get to the part of the startup where it says my processor & speed, amt of RAM, CD drives, Floppy drives it says master - NONE
Slave - NONE
i am just BEYOND pissed with this machine

any ideas ???

-Pat
ATI Radeon 9600Pro
9774 3D Marks (2001SE)
Old 11th March, 2003, 06:54 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by CaesaR
OK in the "Ultra 100 bios" part of the startup it'll detect the drives BUT !!!! when i get to the part of the startup where it says my processor & speed, amt of RAM, CD drives, Floppy drives it says master - NONE
Slave - NONE
i am just BEYOND pissed with this machine

any ideas ???

-Pat
Sorry but I'm a bit confused. Let's back up a step. Your A7V has 2 IDE channels controlled by VIA, and 2 IDE RAID channels, correct? ... All ATA100.

Please specify exactly how each drive is connected, which channel, where on the cable, and the pin assignments for each drive.

Also, when you mentioned bios, I don't understand which bios you refer to... the mobo bios or the RAID bios.

Hang in there... you'll get it sorted out.
Old 11th March, 2003, 07:12 PM

OK, ummm

"Sorry but I'm a bit confused. Let's back up a step. Your A7V has 2 IDE channels controlled by VIA, and 2 IDE RAID channels, correct? ... All ATA100.

Please specify exactly how each drive is connected, which channel, where on the cable, and the pin assignments for each drive."

thats like swahili to me....could you dumb it down a shade ??

BUT Ok heres what happens...

1) Memory Test .........OK!
2)Ultra 100 Detiecting drives (IT DOES DETECT THE DRIVES THERE!)
3) Posting of hardware specs:
AMD proc
amount of ram
Floppy
CD Drive #1
CD Drive #2

BUT when it gets to PRIMARY Master & Slave it says NONE....even when i go into my BIOS it says AUTO but never says teh names.

EDIT: Im willing to just remove the 2nd drive as I barely ever use it
ATI Radeon 9600Pro
9774 3D Marks (2001SE)
Old 11th March, 2003, 07:20 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Ok then... Let me apologize right now for anything I might say to offend you... (I've been bashed in the past for talking to "experts" like they were newbies).

I don't have my A7V raid any more so I'll have to go from memory.

For your HDD connections to the mobo... how many connectors do you have? 2 or 4. (don't count the floppy connector)

For the cable that connects the HDDs to the mobo.. are you using 1 for each drive, or 1 cable connecting both drives to the mobo.
Old 11th March, 2003, 07:22 PM

Oh, No offence taken at all.......umm lemmie check those connectors and ill edit it back in this post

OK, i check it and theres 2 connetors on the ribbon the connection on the end of the ribbon leads to the MASTER (my 40gb) and the other one leads to my slave (6gb)

oh and theres only 1 ribbon for HDDs and 1 ribbon for CDs ect...
ATI Radeon 9600Pro
9774 3D Marks (2001SE)

Last edited by CaesaR; 11th March, 2003 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11th March, 2003, 07:38 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

First, I'll assume you have the non raid version of your mobo... You should have only 2 connectors for HDDs on the motherboard itself.

Second, on the ribbon with the Hard drives, your 40gig should be connected at one end, the small hdd connected in the middle, and the other end of the ribbon connected to the mobo.

Third... each hdd has pin settings for configuration near the ribbon connection. This pins should be 2 rows of 4 to 6 pins, with at least one jumper in there somewhere. By moving this jumper to another location, you are changing the status of the drive.

Also somewhere on each drive, there should be a little diagram of the proper jumper settings for the configuration you are trying to use. These settings are unique for each brand of HDD, and sometimes even for models. You have to identify the config you want to use... master, slave, or stand alone, and make sure you have the pins correct for each drive. If 1 drive is wrong, usually both drives on the ribbon will have problems.

Double check these settings: small drive for slave, and the big drive as master... Keep in mind that WDs are very picky... You have to select master. If you remove the small drive, and the WD starts working, it means you have the jumper wrong. WD has a setting for master and another setting for "stand alone". It sounds like you currently have it set for "stand alone" from your current descriptions.

Lemme know how it goes. (I may be off line for a few hours.)
good luck.
Old 11th March, 2003, 08:00 PM

well i guess my main question is why is it NOW not detecting teh drives. When i had win98 it worked but now its fudged.....

but i will look at the drives......i think for simplicity reasons i'll disconnect the small drive and set the WD as a standalone
ATI Radeon 9600Pro
9774 3D Marks (2001SE)
Old 11th March, 2003, 08:44 PM

I just got off the fone w/ Western Digital Tech support and the guy said i need an ATA driver dick to put in at the win2k setup....

BUT..... it says " to install a ATA device pls insert the driver disk" SO....what the hell files am i looking for???

im using an Asus A7V KT-133 mobo.

i put a disk in with the asus 4 in 1 drivers but it said " the file TXTSETUP.OEM could not be found....
ATI Radeon 9600Pro
9774 3D Marks (2001SE)

Last edited by CaesaR; 11th March, 2003 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12th March, 2003, 02:13 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I honestly can't recall which came first the KT133 or win2K.
You might need the disk if you were running off a raid controller.
For additional drivers, win2k & winxp require floppy disks with the ".oem" file in the root directory. Did your disk come with the mobo, or did you make it yourself? If you browse the disk, can you find a subdirectory for win2k, or is there a file in the root directory that matches?
Old 12th March, 2003, 04:37 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

CaesaR,
You only have 3 physical drive connectors (2 for hdd/cdrom & 1 for floppy), right?

If you have 5, I think I know what the problem is.
Old 12th March, 2003, 05:00 AM

no i only have 3..........and i would use the disc that came w/ the mobo..........if i still had it. and i cant find the files needed on asus.com

Edit: Congrats on teh 3K post
ATI Radeon 9600Pro
9774 3D Marks (2001SE)