AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 13th March, 2003, 12:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

IBM HDD Dead!

Okay, I just went to restart my Linux server, and while it was restarting it made this terrorable grinding noise that I have heard before - When a hard drive dies...

So, now I need a new hard drive. Can I RMA it to IBM? It has a 3 year warranty (I think) and should still be under that (It's just under 2 years old).. If so, where @ IBM's site do I get RMA info?

Also, is there any hope of recovering the data from the drive? I really need a lot of the data that is on it..

Please reply ASAP!
Old 13th March, 2003, 01:17 AM

Not sure about data recovery, but here is the Hitachi RMA site. They handle all of IBM's hard drives now. I just got back a 15 GB drive a few weeks ago. Just input the serial # and see what's what.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th March, 2003, 01:32 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Cool. Did you need any of the recepts or anything? I don't have them, but I do have the serial
Old 13th March, 2003, 01:40 AM

No, no receipt necessary. If the serial # comes up that the drive is under warranty, you are covered. I had another one that came from a Dell Optiplex, it wasn't covered! Dell was the warranty and it was up! (It made the4 same coffee grinder noise of death you spoke about!)
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th March, 2003, 01:41 AM

Nice, thanks

And after 10min in the freezer, I have been using the HDD for about 5min.. Backup time!
Old 13th March, 2003, 01:47 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Betty Send a message via MSN to Betty

Quote:
Originally posted by SiGmA_X
Nice, thanks

And after 10min in the freezer, I have been using the HDD for about 5min.. Backup time!
LOL! A friend of mine & his boss swear by the freezer. They have put many previously thought dead pieces of hardware in the freezer and have it work like just fine afterwards.

Gotta love the freezer.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Boy, What a ride!!
Old 13th March, 2003, 01:48 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by SiGmA_X
Nice, thanks

Kewl! I forget about the freezer trick, glad that you reminded us. My 75 GXP died a year ago. It's OK--- if you remember that the C:\ partition isn't any good. I use it for "cold" storage, it rarely sees the inside of a PC. After the class action suit comes to fruition, and the lawyers get all the money, it's gonna have an "accident."
Old 13th March, 2003, 01:55 AM

Heh. The freezer revived it once before.. I have been using it for 4-5 months in the Linux box, and it has been working fine.. Until today I have had it up for about 20 min now, and am backing up everything possible
Old 13th March, 2003, 01:58 AM

I noticed that Hitachi has a load of rules regarding shipping the drive.. How did you ship your drive back to them?
Old 13th March, 2003, 04:24 AM

I put it in an anti-static bag (yup, I save em!) and in a shipping box with plenty of bubble wrap so it couldn't move an inch. You are right, it's very important. I save my shipping stuff on occasion just for this kinda occasion. Don't use "peanuts", use bubble wrap.

Old 13th March, 2003, 05:04 AM

Alright, cool I have a few motherboard anti-static bags, and one of them will work.. And I have a load of shipping stuff - Gotta love sponsors who like the bubble wrap!
Old 13th March, 2003, 07:05 AM

Yes, and wives or better halves who don't make you throw everything away!!! LOL

So.....was it covered by warranty?

Old 13th March, 2003, 07:18 AM

Yes it was! I will send it tomorrow
Old 14th March, 2003, 05:38 PM

My brothers IBM hard drive went down, IBM RMA'ed it and were very good about the whole thing, only shame was I had to send it to the Netherlands (I live in the UK).
Old 16th March, 2003, 10:36 AM

Well what goes around comes around and my little bro's IBM drive went down again yesterday, I have another RMA number and another address in the Netherlands to send it to again, lets hope the next one I get lasts a bit longer.
Old 16th March, 2003, 03:36 PM

I'm glad Hitachi took over. Perhaps they will give the hard drives the attention they need. IBM is a great company but like the old Roman Empire, has perhaps gotten too big and giving up hard drives to concentrate on core business was a good move IMHO. Their QC had really started to fall off as of late. Big Blue was turning into Bog BooHoo!

Old 16th March, 2003, 07:42 PM

I'll be sending mine out tomorrow. How long does it take them to ship a new HDD back??
Old 16th March, 2003, 08:32 PM

Don't quote me.....As my feeble mind recalls about 7 to 10 business days from arrival at the shipper.

Old 17th March, 2003, 01:16 AM

Okay, that's not tooo bad.. I can live with out it anyways, because I have my 1.2GB spare drive that I have installed Debian and all the web servers on But FTP isn't quite working.. If any Linux people read this, and have used ProFTPd, please shoot me a message!
Old 20th March, 2003, 12:36 AM

Crap. I was just about to send it, and I was packing it up.. The instructions say NO bubble wrap, and that bubble wrap can void the warranty!! I think I'll have to dig up some foam as they suggest..