AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th March, 2003, 01:53 AM

Send a message via ICQ to WNxAbaddon

Deadly Hardware/XP issue

I posted this in the OS forum, but I really need a reponce...

Got some new computer parts, and im having problems installing windows XP.

specs,
MSI K7N2G-L
1GB DDR 333
100GB western Digital HDD
Trying to install win xp Professional.

other then that, a light-on cd-rw, and im using onboard audio and video untill I get xp installed.

Ok, my problem is, during the installation of windows XP professional, it get critical stop errors.

I have tryed:
Installing it as an upgrade to win 98 and win ME.
Installing it as a complete installation from inside 98 and ME.
Installing it using a fresh fat32 partition using a win ME boot disk to access CD-rom support.
Installing it using the 6 disk boot method that microsoft released shortly after releasing XP, and making a clean NTFS partition.

No matter what way I do it, at one point during the installation i get a critical stop error, blue screen o death, and i need to restart. Its the standard booting critical stop for XP. giving those stupid Debug codes in the form 0x000000A or whatever.

So, I got pissed trying to install it that way, and repartitioned the hard drive and formatted NTFS on my old computer, and installed (worked perfectly). When i put that hard drive with the new motherboard, right before starting the first XP boot screen it critical stops again.

The error I get is
0x0000007B

Microsoft says this is a
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error.

I have played with ALL the settings in the bios. Even changing the memory timings many times over. Tryed running in Dual ddr mode and not. Tryed running with just one stick of 512mb DDR 333. Cant figure out whats going on...

any ideas???

Update:
Bought a new HDD, didnt work
Bought new ram, didnt work.
Using the newest Bios version (errors happend before updating bios as well)
Old 19th March, 2003, 02:00 AM

have you tryed to boot from the cd??

fer 47 years ive been seeking a balance in life
and I’ve been from one end to the other
i may be getting close
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th March, 2003, 03:24 AM

I have tryed that, but I cant seam to get it to work.

I set my bios so the only device it trys to boot from is Cd-Rom.

after P.O.S.T. and autodetecting the IDE devices, it goes to the next screen.

Says, Boot from CD:

then some, Starting nVidia boot manager crap.. holds for 30 secconds... then says Could not start up system, or soemthing along those lines.
Old 19th March, 2003, 04:36 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I had a prob installing XP on an ABIT board. (brand new out of the box) Keep giving me BSOD, so I went to there site and downloaded the flash file for the bios and flashed it.

Then it installed XP just fine. Soooo maybe you have to flash it?!?! It wouldn't hurt non the less.

Also make sure that you go into bios and set to "load fail safe settings"

hope that helps.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th March, 2003, 05:17 AM

From MS
Quote:
During I/O system initialization, the controller or driver for the startup device (typically the hard disk) might have failed to initialize the necessary hardware. File system initialization might have failed because of disk or controller failure, or because the file system did not recognize the data on the boot device.

Repartitioning disks, adding new disks, or upgrading to a new disk controller might cause the information in the Boot.ini file, or Boot Manager, to become outdated. If this Stop message occurs after installing new disks to your system, edit the Boot.ini file or adjust the Boot Manager parameters to allow the system to start. If the error occurs after upgrading the disk controller, verify that the new hardware is functioning and correctly configured. For more information about the Boot.ini file, see "Troubleshooting Startup" in this book.

Verify that the system firmware and disk controller BIOS settings are correct and that the storage device was properly installed. If you are unsure, consult your computer's documentation about restoring default firmware settings or configuring your system to auto-detect settings. If the error occurs during Windows XP Professional setup, the problem might be due to unsupported disk controller hardware. In some cases, drivers for new hardware are not in the Windows XP Professional Driver.cab library, and you need to provide additional drivers to complete the Windows XP Professional setup successfully. If this is the case, follow the hardware manufacturer's instructions when installing drivers. Periodically check for driver and firmware updates.
So, I'd start with auto detect in the BIOS and make sure it sees the drive.
Download Bootdisk with FDISK and FORMAT on it here Then if that doesn't work out, Make sure you FDISK the drive and set a live partition and then FORMAT. Set BIOS to boot from CD and put in XP and boot again.

Here is a more complicated MS article

I'm here all night, let me know if it works out!
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 19th March, 2003, 05:35 AM

Well, i did some more searching through Microsofts Tech center (not the knowledge base), and found out that I was also getting a 0x0000008E error.

And what do ya know... come on guys.. guess what that error means... Bad memory.

Needless to say, I just orderd some quality OCZ PC2700.

Il update you in 2 days to see how it works out.