AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th December, 2001, 01:36 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to the BBS, martin! And thanks for the compliment!

There is a new feature at www.storagereview.com . It's a database of hard drive reliability contributed to by more than 6000 members. I may not be right about this, OK? It seems that 20, 40 and 60 Gb drives are pretty safe. But 30 and 45 Gb IDE HDD's made by everybody are to be avoided. Let's hope that your 40 Gb 75 GXP serves you well!
Old 10th December, 2001, 02:22 AM

I have been running a 75gxp 30 gig w/ no problems. Compared to the 2 Maxtor's on the kids Dell and 3 Seagates at work, I'll take IBM anyday.
Cloasters, Before bad rapping a product, try the customer service route, it is amazing what can happen. I have heard people diss Iwill, AMD, and etc. then to find out that the customer service is excellent. That is if, you treat them w/ a little RESPECT. It is not the rep's fault and 9 out of 10 they will do their best to assist.
Sorry about your HDD. Hope you get a solution.
BFG 6800GT (one for now)
2x74Gb Raptors Raid 0
Hitachi 160gb back up
Patriot PC3200XBLK 2x512
XP 90 w/ Panflo
Sony 16X Dual Layer DVDRW
Samsung DVD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th December, 2001, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
Welcome to the BBS, martin! And thanks for the compliment!

There is a new feature at www.storagereview.com . It's a database of hard drive reliability contributed to by more than 6000 members. I may not be right about this, OK? It seems that 20, 40 and 60 Gb drives are pretty safe. But 30 and 45 Gb IDE HDD's made by everybody are to be avoided. Let's hope that your 40 Gb 75 GXP serves you well!
Wow cloasters, this is quite a thread. Please tell me you've called IBM by now and had the drive replaced? I have had several business boxes and home/friend boxes w/ bad IBM drives in the past 3 months.

All of the former being less than a year old. IBM is currently playing the 60GB replacement game with the majortiy of people I've worked for; talked to. If you have recovered your data, then the RMA process directly w/ IBM should be fairly painless. As far as I've seen, all newer drives come w/ a 3 year standard warranty.

Good luck! ...better days ahead.
Old 10th December, 2001, 06:10 AM

And that means...

Actually, I have heard bad things about Maxtor. There have been a number of frustrated owners posting to a few tech sites talking about the failures and their inability to operate o/c'ed. I'm sure there have been a few other drive manufacturers lambasted in the hardware sites as well. It looks to me that not everybody is immune to the RMA bug. So I would have to say that the most important question apart from expected longetivity is, do you look good right up to that moment when you go for a *****!

"Why do a single thing today, when tomorrow's surely out there. But the days they turn into years and still no tomorrow appears....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th December, 2001, 01:08 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Re: And that means...

Quote:
Originally posted by martin
Actually, I have heard bad things about Maxtor. There have been a number of frustrated owners posting to a few tech sites talking about the failures and their inability to operate o/c'ed. I'm sure there have been a few other drive manufacturers lambasted in the hardware sites as well. It looks to me that not everybody is immune to the RMA bug. So I would have to say that the most important question apart from expected longetivity is, do you look good right up to that moment when you go for a *****!
Seems like you hear bad things about every hard drive company. The bottom line is that hard drives are going to break, the question is when.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 10th December, 2001, 10:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Re: And that means...

Quote:
Originally posted by martin
I've had 4 maxtor drives die over the years. I've never had a segate drive yet..
Old 10th December, 2001, 11:46 PM
eobard

Get yourself one thousand and twenty-four Segate 225's. Those things are bullet proof, you need a tank to destroy one of them. and 1,024 would total 20 gigs. I've got one in storage that I haven't tested in at least 2 years but I don't doubt it will still fire up on command(.com).
Old 11th December, 2001, 01:09 AM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

you'd need one ****er of an IDE controller
Old 11th December, 2001, 01:27 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by b0bb1nz
you'd need one ****er of an IDE controller
Nope, you'd need one ****er of a MFM controller. Those drives pre-date IDE.

*** edit: And you'd need an older motherboard 'cause I've never seen a MFM controller with a PCI connector.

Last edited by eobard; 11th December, 2001 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11th December, 2001, 02:56 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I've had two brand new 4.5 Gb U2W Cheetahs for months. Other more pressing hardware priorities have made buying an Adaptec $150 bare bones U160 SCSI Host Adapter impossible. Some day, by goom!

Sending my brother my B box for Christmas makes even paying the freight for an RMA for my 45 Gb IBummeR impossible 'till next year.
So far, so good. I repeat the "45 Gb = Good Drive" mantra until I can afford to RMA the "li'l sweetheart."
Old 11th December, 2001, 03:02 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Maybe you should try the rubber chicken, .
Old overclockers rule, you gotta hit the pc with the chicken 3 times to get all the ghosts/bugs out before booting up.
Old 11th December, 2001, 06:05 AM

Good one...

Laughing.....

Nice reference to the IBM name, that was cute. Actually I have been curious about the higher rpm cheetah drives for a few years now, the included higher price for the scsi drive/controller combo was always a major hurdle for most of us. I have often wondered if the fast but less expensive IBM drives would be as close to nirvana as you could get. Since that time I have owned an IBM 15G, a 30G and just now added a 40G. I think I am living the dream somewhat, I have a 650meg swap file, optimized and sitting at the top of the first partition which really helps out. For the time being at least, I am thoroughly enjoying the ride.

"Why do a single thing today, when tomorrow's surely out there. But the days they turn into years and still no tomorrow appears....

Last edited by martin; 11th December, 2001 at 06:21 AM.
Old 13th December, 2001, 07:47 PM

It seems like the IBM GXP75 45GB disks where kinda "hit and miss"(most misses). I've had 2 running in Raid0 on my kt7a-raid since last January without problems. Maybe I was lucky, maybe it's because I've had them both in Novibe frames to reduce hd vibration noise.
Old 14th December, 2001, 07:42 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'm fairly sure that ATA-100 IDE HDD's are just as fast as U2W SCSI drives, at least for most normal home use scenarios. Personally speaking, it's a shame that the IBM 60GXP's are the current UDMA/100 speed champs. Just can't envision buying one after enjoying this 75GXP so much!
Old 14th December, 2001, 08:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Quote:
I'm fairly sure that ATA-100 IDE HDD's are just as fast as U2W SCSI drives, at least for most normal home use scenarios. Personally speaking, it's a shame that the IBM 60GXP's are the current UDMA/100 speed champs. Just can't envision buying one after enjoying this 75GXP so much!
scsi's throughput is much higher than IDE either way you look at it. The only drives that died were the 45GB 75's, so I would give IBM one more chance.
Old 16th December, 2001, 07:09 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

"SCSI" covers a lot of ground! Hmm. Perhaps 40 Mb/s Ultra SCSI performs essentially the same as a fast ATA-100 HDD. This would indeed make 80 Mb/s U2W LVD SCSI faster. Can't remember if "80 Mb/s" really means sustained transfer or not. Kinda don't think so. But I've been wrong before, a zillion times! The little 10K rpm Cheetah's I have feature a 5ns seek time. Zowie! They're now $71 at www.centrix-intl.com . Good etailer, btw.
Brother, can you spare a U2W or U160 SCSI host adaptor? Didn't think so!

Naah. No 60GXP IBM IDE HDD for me. Big Shrew can bite me. They deserve a significant loss of patronage. Mainly because they CONTINUE to stonewall about the crap quality of 50%, yes 50% of their 30 Gb and especially 45 Gb models of 75GXP's. "A few lemons" my Aunt Fanny!
Old 16th December, 2001, 06:23 PM
Banned

Cloasters
I just had my second Western Digital 60 GB 5400 rpm drive go south on me. I know the feeling. I need some help on recovering the data off of the hard drive. Or I have to send it to some recovery place to do so and thats going to be expensive for me.
I just went to all scsi after this ............just put down my lifes saveings on a 73 GB seagate cheetah 10k rpm drive. I never had a scsi drive fail me and need some reliability on my storage for once.

I wish I could get some help on recovery my data off my hard drive. I tried everything I know so far

Jen
Old 17th December, 2001, 07:51 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Holy ultra fast storage, Batpersons! Mama mia, that's one heyell of a U160 HDD! Waay out of my price range. I hope you're getting it with the manufacturer's 5 year warranty.

After it's installed and running well, please let us know. Ya gotta cash in those kinda bragging rights!
Old 17th December, 2001, 03:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Holy ultra fast storage, Batpersons! Mama mia, that's one heyell of a U160 HDD! Waay out of my price range. I hope you're getting it with the manufacturer's 5 year warranty.

After it's installed and running well, please let us know. Ya gotta cash in those kinda bragging rights!
I have always over killed everything i ever done. This is another such adventure. I am tired of IDE hard drive failures . My stuff is very important to me so not loseing it is very important

I have been useing a 18 GB seagate cheetah 10k for years now without ever a problem. Every screwup i ever did hasnt lost anything on this drive

The price was high for this drive and yes I did get the 5 yr warrantty for it

Jen
Old 21st December, 2001, 12:03 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It's at it again. Defragging the C:\ partition stalls at 83%. "We gotta run a surface scan, you wanna?" Heyell no! If do, it'll stall somewhere, then inform me that the manufacturer's diagnostic software is a mighty good idea.

Why should I run IBM's DFT? It'll just suggest that I write zero's to the entire drive. Then it'll be right as rain. 16 days after zeroizing this pos, again with the same problem. I like IBM IDE HDD's. Watch how fast I buy another.

I can't afford to RMA the pos until next year. Until then, I have a SLOW 4.3 Gb Maxtor. And an even S L O W E R 407 Mb ancient WD.

I have 512 Mb of RAM in this box. Who'd a thunk that we'd ever have more RAM than HDD space? Actually, because of the need to fdisk the Maxtor if I put it in this box--and loose lot's of important data if I do, my new, new, new(as in 440BX/384 PC-133/Celeron 366 @ 550) B box will have to tide me over 'till I can buy a Seagate next month. Can I get a "waa?"

Qvetch, qvetch. My bad. Mongo not like Big Screw. Lying thieves.