AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st December, 2001, 01:34 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Definitely seems to be your turn for the oppressive side of this world to fall upon your shoulders! I'm amazed you can bring yourself to talk about this!

You get BIG points from me for openness, a lot of families hide this kind of thing away where it festers!

You have got to have better luck with the next drive, I'm wishing you a great big after Christmas sale!!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st December, 2001, 02:47 AM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

Want to borrow a hard drive?

Seriously!
Old 21st December, 2001, 03:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
It's at it again. Defragging the C:\ partition stalls at 83%. "We gotta run a surface scan, you wanna?" Heyell no! If do, it'll stall somewhere, then inform me that the manufacturer's diagnostic software is a mighty good idea.

Why should I run IBM's DFT? It'll just suggest that I write zero's to the entire drive. Then it'll be right as rain. 16 days after zeroizing this pos, again with the same problem. I like IBM IDE HDD's. Watch how fast I buy another.

I can't afford to RMA the pos until next year. Until then, I have a SLOW 4.3 Gb Maxtor. And an even S L O W E R 407 Mb ancient WD.

I have 512 Mb of RAM in this box. Who'd a thunk that we'd ever have more RAM than HDD space? Actually, because of the need to fdisk the Maxtor if I put it in this box--and loose lot's of important data if I do, my new, new, new(as in 440BX/384 PC-133/Celeron 366 @ 550) B box will have to tide me over 'till I can buy a Seagate next month. Can I get a "waa?"

Qvetch, qvetch. My bad. Mongo not like Big Screw. Lying thieves.
Same freaking sh$t happened to me as well on my WD 60GB . Scan disk has found a error do you want it to fix this error. Well sure why not . 12 hrs later this message comes up. Scan disk wasnt able to correct all the errors recommended you back up the hard drive. Ok well fine I can do that. Shut down computer and hookup my spare hard drive. Upon reboot Scan disk attacks my WD again. Scan disk is now going to scan your hard drive for errors. I hit EXIT fast as I could. Fine we got past that now lets get into windows and pull this stuff. Into windows we go. Now My Computer. Crap now where is that hard drive at. Then computer locks up . Crap again this cant be happening. Ok its not over I say lets try ghost and see if we can ghost it over. Nope ghost wont do it. GRRRR now I am upset . Lets try PQ Lost and Found this will save me. Utility starts up and starts scanning drive for files. Finds 1025 files and 35 directories then starts erroring out. GRRR this cant be. I am mad now. Well lets try this WD utility. Hmm what the heck is error 258. Call WD up and ask . Oh you need to RMA that drive it has failed. Failed hell I want my stuff off of it. Well didnt you back your files up like your suppose. DOH well yes but I put all the files on this drive so I could clean up another. Never expected this one to die.
Its now on its way to have the data recovered. No more WDs ever again for me or any IDE drives. I just hope the IBM 75 GXP 45 GB makes it back ok. Its my last IDE drive I have

My next drive is my 73 GB seagate cheetah . I cant trust IDE drives anymore.

Jen
Old 21st December, 2001, 12:43 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jen
I just went to all scsi after this ............just put down my lifes saveings on a 73 GB seagate cheetah 10k rpm drive. I never had a scsi drive fail me and need some reliability on my storage for once.
Hah. Don't believe that SCSI drives don't fail. Over my lifetime, I've had 3 SCSI drives fail, and two IDE drives fail. Yes, I do run more SCSI than IDE.

The problem? For desktop use, SCSI drives don't have enough of an advantage over IDE drives. I seem to remember that StorageReview did an interesting test between IDE and SCSI. The outcome was that unless you're right in the 15K SCSI drive league, then for single user applications IDE was much much more cost effective.

Just remember, those 73GB Cheetahs are dissipating over 10W worth of heat when they're idling! Keep 'em cool.

AidanII
Old 21st December, 2001, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII

Hah. Don't believe that SCSI drives don't fail. Over my lifetime, I've had 3 SCSI drives fail, and two IDE drives fail. Yes, I do run more SCSI than IDE.

The problem? For desktop use, SCSI drives don't have enough of an advantage over IDE drives. I seem to remember that StorageReview did an interesting test between IDE and SCSI. The outcome was that unless you're right in the 15K SCSI drive league, then for single user applications IDE was much much more cost effective.

Just remember, those 73GB Cheetahs are dissipating over 10W worth of heat when they're idling! Keep 'em cool.

AidanII
My system is 100% scsi at the moment. I have run this 18 gb cheetah for the last 4 yrs without any problem . This computer runs 24/7 with my water cooling setup. I agree these drives do put out heat that is why case flow is important
The last IDE hard drive i had that didnt fail me was a 6.4 GB . After that i have had one after another fail me one way or another

Jen
Old 22nd December, 2001, 06:11 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by b0bb1nz
Want to borrow a hard drive?

Seriously!
Talk about the Christmas spirit. Yo, Santa. Err, Father Christmas-- got one for your "nice" list! Thank you very much for your very kind offer of assistance with a loaner HDD, b0bb1nz. Hands across the water, indeed!

The postage would moidah me, and the New Year is drawing close. Verdant green fields of cash--in a manner of speaking, will aid me in buying a new HDD.

Thank you again, b0bb1nz!
Old 22nd December, 2001, 06:30 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
Definitely seems to be your turn for the oppressive side of this world to fall upon your shoulders! I'm amazed you can bring yourself to talk about this!

You get BIG points from me for openness, a lot of families hide this kind of thing away where it festers!
I couldn't figger out what you were talking about, Daniel ~. Now I get it(shuh!).
I gave my brother my former B box for Christmas, that's why the present one is so lame. Could be worse, so I try not to complain about it!
Old 23rd December, 2001, 05:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Ploaf Send a message via AIM to Ploaf Send a message via Yahoo to Ploaf

I bought two of those 75GXP's last winter. One(30GB made in Hungary, I think) died a while back although I managed to get it going again, but everything that was on it is gone. The other(45GB made in Thailand) is still kicking without any problems yet but it's really noisy. It will be completely replaced with my barracuda that has been working great since I got it and is ultra quiet, but it is sans OS right now waiting for XP which should show up by the end of the week with a shiny new case. The barracuda doesn't seem to be as fast as the IBM drive either, but I'm tired of noise.

I don't know if it's important where they are made but I think there was a correlation between place of manufacture and problems or lack of problems. They have been added to the db at storage review so that some diligent buyer of hd's doesn't suffer the same fate.