AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd December, 2001, 08:16 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

IBM 75GXP. Frankly, it sucks.

Typical. After posting that DLing and installing MS's IDE Shutdown Supplement(or such) for Win98 might prevent bad sectors over at the old same place, guess what? My stinking 45 Gb GXP made the "Win was shut down improperly so we're Scandisking your HDD" message, after a (proper) reboot. Better still, the scan ended at 98% and launched a Surface Scan. Which stalled at 16%--after three tries. Oh joy, oh rupture.

I'll try to RMA the POS.(This is the second bad sector hissy fit in its ten month life that this "hard drive" has thrown. Dunno if I should do so through AllStarShop.com or IBM, yet.

AFAIK, it's not worth the hassle to RMA 75GXP's, and this %#$*&(! cost me $170, shipped.

Which leaves me in a pickle. Sending my "B" box to my brother for Christmas is costing me money that can't be spent on a new HDD. I have Linux installed on its own tiny olde Maxtor /dev/hdb HDD. Looks like it's Linux or nothing for a month. Beats a blank! Let's hope that the MBR of the C:\ drive holds up until January. If it doesn't, I'll lose ~300 Mb of Windows crud that's on the Linux drive for safekeeping if I have to reinstall Linux if its HDD must become the C:\, aka dev/hda drive.

Ask me how many more IBM drives I'll buy!
Old 3rd December, 2001, 12:03 PM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

How many more IBM drives will you be buying

on a lighter note, while shopping for drives I had the choice of a gxp or a seagate barracuda ata IV... thanks to another thread in this crashed forum, I bought the barracuda... it's virtually silent (seriously, powering it up by itself, you can hardly hear it, only just if you stick your ear on the drive)

runs fairly cool (well it's warm but it's a 7200 drive that's covered in sound absorbant foam)

and kicks ass at transfer speeds

so buy it!!!
Old 4th December, 2001, 12:57 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Hallemaluya, I got the necessary data off of the 75GXP and transferred it to my /dev/hdb HDD- through Linux. Whew! Wish there was a lighter note: It would read, "I ordered a 40 Gb Seagate from Newegg today, for $99, shipped." Actually, I did just that--but it's for my neighbor!

I've been busy today. Tomorrow I'll see if an old 500 Mb PIO Mode ? WD I have will let me install Windows on it. If so, I can put LILO in its MBR and THEN futz with the 45 Gb 75GXP.

I hope that the DFT won't fix it, THIS time. I'd rather have an RMA Code in hand when I talk to the etailer or IBM itself.

How many more IBM drives will I buy? Zero. It's a shame that the 60GXP's are the fastest 7200 rpm IDE HDD's. Seagate will have to do!
Old 5th December, 2001, 02:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

My 45GB 74gxp drive was gaytoo. I bet the llf will fix it though.
Old 5th December, 2001, 03:03 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I never bought IBMs (until recently), and heard about the issues with 75GXPs. I got 2 60GXPs and haven't had a problem. Heard only good things about the 60s. Sorry your having problems, but I heard a while back, they replace the 75's w/ 60's when you RMA with IBM. Worth a shot anyway, especially if you're good at giving them grief. Good luck.
Old 5th December, 2001, 05:34 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I have five IBM 20 gig ultra 100's that have run flawlessly for around 7-10 months (bought new ones to RAID with). BUT I must have seen 20 posts about blown out IBM's above 20 gigs. Sorry you got bit man!!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 5th December, 2001 at 05:37 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th December, 2001, 06:41 AM

it seemed to only be the 45GB models. If they replace them with 60's, I'll go that path. I did a llf and it fixed the thousands of bad sectors, but the drive still sucks.
Old 5th December, 2001, 11:42 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I got an olde PIO Mode -1(it's really probably a PIO Mode 3 or 4. And S L O W) 407 Mb WD out of the drawer and put it in the A Box. It now has 98SE on it and LILO in its MBR. With ~35 Mb to spare before reaching the 90% full mark.

Then I removed it and put the 45 Gb 75GXP back in. I didn't bother trying to boot the pos, I just put IBM's Drive Fitness Test in the FDD and fired up the A Box. Sure as road apples, some bad sectors. What a shocker! This drive had the same problem after it was 5 months old. It's now 5 months later, same deal.

Naturally, the DFT suggested writing all zero's to the drive. I did so. Naturally, this fixed the pos.

WTF am I to do with this 75GXP? If I don't get an error code after running the DFT and "zeroizing" it, can I still RMA the pos? TIA!
Old 5th December, 2001, 12:54 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Personally, I wouldn't have tried to fix it. If you saved a record of the bad sectors, and they are no longer bad, to me that is even more evidence of a POS. Try contacting IBM, and make a big deal of the critical nature of all of your valuable data. I think the 60s are actually slightly slower than the 75s, and are 40 gigs instead of 45gigs. If you tell them you need a reliable drive and are willing to give up a little storage and performance, they might just give you the RMA. Can't hurt to try. Stress the bad drive tho.
Old 5th December, 2001, 08:01 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI
Personally, I wouldn't have tried to fix it. If you saved a record of the bad sectors, and they are no longer bad, to me that is even more evidence of a POS. Try contacting IBM, and make a big deal of the critical nature of all of your valuable data.
Oh, the drive still knows about the bad sectors, it's probably just mapped them out with the spare sectoring on the drive. If you're gonna make a big deal of the critical nature of your data, then you're going to come up against the backup question and higher reliability SCSI drives.

People do backup, right?

AidanII
Old 5th December, 2001, 11:29 PM

or just cut a couple traces and say the drive died. now that I think about it, my drive was used for less than 6 months before it died the first time around...
Old 6th December, 2001, 01:59 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

SteveI, the 75GXP's are not faster than the newer 60GXP's, in passing.

Hmm. I didn't think about this: The sone a beetch might be marking the bad sectors as bad, yet presenting a fresh face to the world. Tsk, tsk. It took me hours yesterday, but I have a rescue HDD ready, 24/7. 407 Mb!!! I have more RAM than that! I really dunno what to do with this IBM. While RMAing it seems to make sense, there are way too many stories of repeated RMA hell with these HDD's. Why pay the freight for
3 BAD drives? That's almost half of what Newegg will ship you a 40 Gb 7200 rpm, 2 Mb cache Seagate to you for!

Ah think iyit needs a dropkicking through them goalposts a lahf.

On a serious note, I'm pretty sure that the drive didn't get shirty until shortly after I hooked it to a SiS 730S chipsetted mainboard. No worries on a 440BX with a Promise ATA-100 PCI card. It messed up again 2 days ago--on a different mobo with a SiS 735 chipset.

SiS's chipsets are in the news of late, and it ain't because they are extra specially good!!

Guess you really can't expect a bug free board for $53, shipped!
Old 6th December, 2001, 02:25 AM

Or you could swap it locally, but that wouldn't be ethical.
Old 6th December, 2001, 03:05 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Cloasters,
Try calling IBM, talk with someone, maybe they'll agree to send you a 60GXP as a replacement. I thought the 60GXPs were a bit slower, doesn't really matter. As long as you can convince IBM you're not trying to pull something, they might be reasonable. I haven't heard any rants about the 60s so it's worth a shot (at least once).

Were you overclocking the bus on the 730? The controller for that board may not handle it well. Sectors seen as bad may actually be caused by a controller out of control. Make sure you run any HDD low level tests at stock speed. My 735 board is doing 36.65 without a hitch. But it's only been a month. These types of problems can take 6months or more to appear.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 6th December, 2001, 03:18 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII

Oh, the drive still knows about the bad sectors, it's probably just mapped them out with the spare sectoring on the drive. If you're gonna make a big deal of the critical nature of your data, then you're going to come up against the backup question and higher reliability SCSI drives.

People do backup, right?

AidanII
Well,, my response to that kind of an attitude would be:

"Well, I don't know much about computers, but I heard of IBM and thought it must be a really good drive, so I paid the extra money and got it. So did I make a mistake? Are you telling me that these IBM drives come defective a lot?"

Sometimes feigning ignorance will get you a long way with customer service. You have a better shot than ranting and making them feel like idiots (we all know how easy that is, not that I ever tried ).

Never let them know more than they need to know to come to the right conclusion.

BTW: Everything I deem critical is backed up on my wife's second partition, and also on a CDRW. I'm kinda lazy about updating tho. I've had my own computer for about 15years. I average about 1 total unrecoverable HDD crash every 4 years or so, I've learned the hard way.

Last edited by SteveI; 6th December, 2001 at 03:24 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th December, 2001, 10:12 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI

Sometimes feigning ignorance will get you a long way with customer service. You have a better shot than ranting and making them feel like idiots (we all know how easy that is, not that I ever tried ).

Never let them know more than they need to know to come to the right conclusion.

BTW: Everything I deem critical is backed up on my wife's second partition, and also on a CDRW. I'm kinda lazy about updating tho. I've had my own computer for about 15years. I average about 1 total unrecoverable HDD crash every 4 years or so, I've learned the hard way.
If you make such a big deal of the critical nature of your data, they may decide that you need to be looking at something that'll withstand data failure. I've generally found that feigning ignorance hasn't got me very far, but providing useful information to technicians assigned to the case helps. That's technicians, not first line tech support. I guess I've had different experiences with European call centers. I don't generally try ranting, finding that gentle pressure works best on managers.

I've generally broken my system up into three segments, with only the third requiring backup, as everything else can be re-installed or re-created. Things like serial numbers should really be written down seperately, which is why I dislike programs that register over the web automatically....

AidanII
Old 7th December, 2001, 04:45 PM

There is the new 120GXP.... Sorry, my bad...

cloasters, you give me so much to look forward too... I have recently installed a 60G & 20G 60GXP in my main rig... But Win2K lives on a fujitsu 8G, best drive I've ever owned....

Notice to signature reader: The entire physical universe, including
this signature, may one day collapse back into an infinitesimally
small space. Should another universe subsequently re-emerge,
the existence of this signature in that universe cannot be guaranteed.

Old 7th December, 2001, 09:44 PM
eobard

Re: IBM 75GXP. Frankly, it sucks.

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
Typical. After posting that DLing and installing MS's IDE Shutdown Supplement(or such) for Win98 might prevent bad sectors over at the old same place, guess what? My stinking 45 Gb GXP made the "Win was shut down improperly so we're Scandisking your HDD" message, after a (proper) reboot. Better still, the scan ended at 98% and launched a Surface Scan. Which stalled at 16%--after three tries. Oh joy, oh rupture.
1) Sorry to hear about the drive, hope you get it straightened out at minimal cost.

2) Sorry I missed this thread for the first 3 days. Why didn't anyone tell me it was here.

3) "Oh joy, oh rupture"? X10 You've posted that before haven't you? It still makes me laugh!
Old 8th December, 2001, 02:05 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

No, this 45 Gb 75GXP has never been OC'd. Even though IBM IDE HDD's have a reputation as being tolerant OCer's, I gave up on OCing when I got my first AMD compatible mainboard. AMD's processors run SO hot at stock, and the price delta is slim between slow and fast CPU's(at least before the Palomino's hit the street) that I said, "basta, enough."

I've OC'd Chipzilla CPU's since the original C300A. Frankly, I'm sick and tired of watching MBM all the time!

Still dunno what to do with this pos drive. Maybe I'll wait for it to screw up--again?
Old 9th December, 2001, 07:45 AM

doh!!

What a fun thread to read, its been a real treat for me. Cloasters I like your style, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with the IBM drives. I have had a 30G 75GXP on a 440BX and Promise ata100 pci controller o/c'ed 700E@966 for about 8 months now. I'm happy to say that there has been no problems so far. I'm not that knowlegeable when it comes to mainboard chipsets but I have had a few experiences that allow me to form an opinion from some of the things I've seen. I'm not a big fan of SIS at all. They have been in the tech news lately because of their new mainboard chipsets and I have read some positive reviews about one or another but until I see them in action I still can't like them. Maybe that part of the equation had something to do with it, who knows. I'm trying to tell myself that because I just bought a new box, AMD 1600+/MSI K7T Turbo Pro2 and a new 40G 75GXP HDD. I'm crossing my fingers...
Attached Images

"Why do a single thing today, when tomorrow's surely out there. But the days they turn into years and still no tomorrow appears....