AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th April, 2003, 01:01 PM

Weird XP Pro problem

Ok, up until yesterday my XP Pro was working fine then just for some random reason, I try turning it on, Xp pro boots ok, but then when it gets to the Login page (where you choose user name and password) it just sits there with the Windows XP button off center. The Xp button has always been there but usually the user names come up for you to choose and enter passwords. I tried loading resetting CMOS because i had an overclocked system and loading the Fail Safe Defaults in BIOS. The overclock was 100% stable and working great and I have no idea what the problem is. I have never heard of this type of problem because Windows is reporting no error when trying to boot, it just sits on the Login page with no usernames to choose from. Help is greatly appreciated because I have no idea what elso to try.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th April, 2003, 03:06 PM

Just after the last POST screen, before XP starts to load, press the F8 key and you should see a menu that will alow you to load in safe settings, last known good settings that worked or others. There are more instructions here.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th April, 2003, 03:21 PM

I got it to try to start safe mode, but safe mode fails to load, after I choose Safe Mode, awhole bunch of files get partitioned, thne it just stays there. All the files getting partitioned appear to be in the Windows/ System 32 file.
Old 18th April, 2003, 03:35 PM

If it can clue anyone in or anything, the same message is posted on the overclockers forum, link to my post here. If you have another suggestion or can add on to theirs its is greatly appreciated. I am kinda lost.
Old 18th April, 2003, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shashkastorm
I got it to try to start safe mode, but safe mode fails to load, after I choose Safe Mode, awhole bunch of files get partitioned, thne it just stays there. All the files getting partitioned appear to be in the Windows/ System 32 file.
Do you have a "legal" CD of XP?

If so, I'll help, not wanting to participate in pirated software. (please don't take offense, I've found myself halfway through this and the fella at the other end finally coughs up that he has "his roommates XP disk, etc."

Place XP disk in CD and reboot. In BIOS set to boot to CDROM as 1st drive. When XP starts to load, it will ask you if you want to install Xp. Choose <enter> for Yes. Do not choose to use the Recovery Console! Allow it to look for previously installed versions of XP. It should find yours and then present you with the option of reinstalling (NO!) or repairing existing version of XP (YES!). Let it "do it's thing" and this should do it. If not, post back, all is not lost by any means. I've been where you are countless times, believe me!
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!