AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th December, 2001, 03:42 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

GA-7DX and XP 1800+

I am currently using the machine we are talking about. (as in .. right now , typing this.)

This thing is SLLLOOWWWWW.

I think the 166 will outrun it. really? Really, realy...

Here's a rundown of what else is in the box.

TNT 8meg AGP. (Because my epox boards can't use it. (3.3v thing))

The same el-cheapo 10/100 nic that I have ion the other three boxes. (Got 11 of them off ebay for five bucks total.. )

1 stick of Crucial/Micron PC2100 DDR 256meg ecc (ecc is NOT enabled in the bios)

Seagate ATA66 4.3 gig HDD

Ancient "double speed" CD (until my scsi cards get here.)

The chip is ranging 50 to 57 degrees, and it took over an hour to fold one frame of villin.

I am really pissed at this thing right now, so I am going to submit this post, and go.
Old 7th December, 2001, 03:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

IRQ conflicts maybe?
Old 7th December, 2001, 03:59 AM
Member/Contributer

nope.

11 was being sharred between the video and the nic, but not anymore.
Old 7th December, 2001, 03:59 AM
Member/Contributer

It is rock solid, just sloww as hell.
Old 11th December, 2001, 02:56 AM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

Cache enabled?

seems a stupid question but that's what i'd suggest!

booted with just mobo chip, gfx + hdd?

tried different of each?

I personally dont like gigabyte boards, get yerself a kg7
Old 11th December, 2001, 03:29 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Could be the HD. I have an old Quantum 3.2GB with only a 67kb cache. That thing is SLOW. Might want to switch HD's around and see if you get a speed improvement.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th December, 2001, 04:33 AM
Member/Contributer

I got it all figured out.. see the parallel rant in "crashed!".

1) The temperature issue:

The tech support guy I talked to at AMD told me that the XP SHOULD run 50 to 57, and if people are getting lower, it is an inaccurate reading or heastink overkill. (Pointed to temperature sensors left lying at the bottom of the socket rather than being bent up to touch the chip as a primary f#$ck-up.)

2) ECC DDR has to have ECC enabled. Runs like s%$t if you don't.

3) The CD drive was not capable of DMA (big no-no)

4) My TNT card has scaled itself to death. (It overheats very quickly.)

It's folding like crazy with the console version now. watch my progress in the F@H standings.

It's still getting a thermaright SK-6 Copper heatsink, a pelt a coldplate, and a shim. Already has three 120mm fans. Will need a GF2 card also.