AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th April, 2003, 08:43 AM

8k7a+ Will not boot....HELP PLZ

Having problems with my mobo....transferred system to new case and now on boot up all i get is 1 second of power and it flashes "ff" on the LED's .... I looked around and everyone shows that stands for "fully functioning" but mine dont even boot

PLease help me.....

I rechecked all connections on RAM, CPU, floppy, HD, and CD to no avail....

hopelessly lost
Old 28th April, 2003, 09:02 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, DaDdy-LoKey! I apologize for the lateness of this welcome. For shame!

Those tiny PITA plugs from the front of the case, Power LED, IDE Activity, and so on are easy to get backwards. Conversely, sometimes reversed polarity is needed for one of them to work correctly!

It may be a good idea to remove everything except the CPU, Vidcard and one stick of RAM from the mainboard. If she POST's right, add one component at a time and reboot.

If the Floppy and hard drive aren't connected, you'll see a screen of never ending 101010101010's or something similar after POSTing. That's normal.

Last edited by cloasters; 31st May, 2003 at 09:46 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st May, 2003, 02:43 PM

Also my Board (8K7A+) was hanging with POST code FF - it booted after pressing Reset.
Some googling brought me to:
http://www.epox.de/techsupp/faq_anzeige.asp
(sorry, it's german)

The interesting part translated:
Problem booting a EP-8K7A+:
Monitor signal comes only after a Reset. It does not matter from what state it is booted, the monitor reacts only after a reset.
The POST display shows: "FF"
The problem is in this case a "Netgear FA311" NIC. Look also at www.netgear.de
The NICs FA311 and FA312 from Netgear do not work with AMD761 chipsets.

And guess what I've got: A Netgear FA311... After replacing it with a cheap Realtek card everything is fine.

Maybe there are some other NICs with the same chip around: It's a National Semiconductor DP83815

Robelix
Old 31st May, 2003, 09:42 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Any progress with this reluctant system, DaDdy-LoKey??

Some mainboards simply won't handle Netgear FA-311's. A ECS K7S5A I had refused to run right with that Netgear NIC. Funny thing is, many rigs like anything made by Netgear. And it's usually cheaper than other brand name components!

Last edited by cloasters; 31st May, 2003 at 09:48 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!