AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th May, 2003, 05:51 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

An easy way to see what the joltage of the 3.3v, 5v and 12v rails of your PSU are is to look for "Hardware Monitor" or similar in BIOS. Or use MBM. It's more accurate to measure these values in a "Molex" 4-Pin power connector that comes from the power suppy. A Female power connector is safer to "probe." Just use a Multimeter.

Only the 5v and 12v values can be measured in a Molex connector. The Red wire or connector(or "plugette" within the Molex 4-Pin plug) is 5v, the Yellow wire/connector is 12v. It's best to use the Black probe of the Multimeter on the Black wires/connectors that is right next to the Yellow connector. Ditto for the 5v connector.

I confess, I don't know how to measure the 3.3v rail of the PSU with a Multimeter. The machine has to be switched on to measure the voltages. Be very careful! And remember that even though 3.3v, 5v and 12v sure don't sound like much, they're backed up with enough Amperage to kill you and ten of your best friends if you were all holding hands. Seriously.
Old 14th May, 2003, 10:44 PM

rite. so i got the BSOD again.. it happened while i was copying a cd "on the fly".

heres the error (exactly except for the blue screen)
============================================

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable componetns, restart then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 {0x8D511469,0x00000000,0x8D511469,0x00000000}

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.
============================================

any further advice would be super.. thanks
Old 14th May, 2003, 11:01 PM

rite. i got another BSOD about 5 minutes later after i had rebooted. i was just browsing a forum this time, hardly anything that would stress out the pc..

the error was:

=============================================
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable componetns, restart then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 {0x74B0EFA4,0x00000009,0x00000000,0xF7A1F179

*** nv4_mini.sys - Address F7A1F179 base at F7A05000, DateStamp 3e7a98c4

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.
=============================================

at this stage it is getting very serious.. please, somebody must have an idea?
Old 15th May, 2003, 01:39 AM
AOA Staff

did you ever check yopur memory to make sure it was good? try that , and also see if you can reset the configuration data in the bios... also set any usb keyboard/mouse/bootstrap or other USB setting your not using in the bios to off.

Last edited by surlyjoe; 15th May, 2003 at 01:44 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th May, 2003, 02:05 AM

i have no way to check my memory but its corsair.. its good quality stuff.. or so im told..
Old 15th May, 2003, 02:34 AM
AOA Staff

theres a program called memtest86 that runs from a floppy, just to make sure.. :nervous:

aoafiles has an ISO too if you dont have a floppy :-D
Old 15th May, 2003, 03:02 AM

Get bootvis from Microsoft to verify what I'm gonna speculate on. XP has a problem on boot with multiple usb devices and also removable drives. Whilst experimenting with overclocking and binary downloads I had a problem ending up in slow boots. After running bootvis I discovered windows was writing the binary file 500+ mb seven to eight times during the boot process. Previous errors had popped up indicating windows was trying to write the file but had a problem accessing the drive (on a Promise ide controller, thus scsi to windows). So each notification had apparently left a task undone and when windows booted it accomplished all the write failure instances. I had the binary loaded in daemon tools (prolly too much info) so that was another removable device involved. At any rate, I deleted the file and the boot problem disappeared. This problem also had crashed windows several times but no more. So, run bootvis..see what's taking so long and you'll know the next step. Maybe you had a disconnect on a zip write and it's still trying to write or read the file.

Last edited by bilboda; 15th May, 2003 at 03:04 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th May, 2003, 12:14 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I think that this started with a USB problem. Interesting news about nForce 2 mainboards and USB: Got problems with nForce2 and USB? . It's a must see.
Old 17th May, 2003, 05:01 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Any progress with this problem child, themonkeekiller?
Old 17th May, 2003, 09:01 PM

no. no progress. im still waiting for people to reply with more ideas.. but they seem to have all given up :-(
Old 19th May, 2003, 03:50 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It's been mooted by those in the know that having a spare, factory fresh BIOS chip is a must with this mainboard. Yep, it's not fair. SBT.

Personally, I'd order the new BIOS chip. Where to get one should be found within the EPoX topic heading. Or simply asked for.

Were this my machine, I'd first clear the BIOS chip. Making sure to do this in the proper manner: Shut down the machine, then unplug the PSU from whatever it's connected to for AC power. Pull the 20-Connector ATX plug(and any 4-Pin or 6-Pin mini-power connector) that comes from the PSU free from its(their) mate that's on the mainboard. Remove the CMOS button battery from its place of business. Sticking a short strip of tape to the battery makes this much easier. Wait for fifteen minutes.

Then put the battery into its "holder," plug the 20-Pin ATX power plug(and any mini-plug power plug)back into its opposite plug on the mobo. Then plug the PSU's AC plug back into the power strip or shudder, wall.

Do NOT mess with the Clear CMOS jumper that's on the mobo while clearing the CMOS this way.
Old 20th May, 2003, 10:25 AM

I had a bit of a scrounge around on the net and found a few things I hope could help There was a a fair bit so dont expect any particular order:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

From Microsoft:

This Stop message occurs when requested data is not found in memory. The system generates a fault, which normally indicates that the system looks for data in the paging file. In this circumstance, however, the missing data is identified as being located within an area of memory that cannot be paged out to disk. The system faults, but cannot find, the data and is unable to recover. Faulty hardware, a buggy system service, antivirus software, and a corrupted NTFS volume can all generate this type of error.

This could be in relation to the SP1 situation with Nforce boards which states that you have to install SP1 before installing Nvidia's Unified Drivers or else you'll have USB and IDE problems.

I would assume that the stop error above could have occured from corrupted data on you page file on the hard disk. ie IDE controller.

Also..

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

nv4_mini.sys - Address F7A1F179 base at F7A05000, DateStamp 3e7a98c4

Is related to your Video Card Drivers and and instability within them which could be to do with a conflict with USB devices due to the previous problem. As if the Drivers aren't loading properly they will cause headaches for the rest of you hardware.

My suggestions would be the following:

Do a Clean Install with minimal components:

CPU
RAM
Vid Card
1 Hard Disk
1 CD-Rom

Set optimized defaults in Bios

Disable USB in the Bios

another edit: Set PNP OS in bios to disabled or no if installing using ACPI

Edit: and use ps2 keyboard and mouse obviously!

Once windows in installed Install Service Packs and Updates

Then install the latest Unified Drivers.

Edit Again: then install Vid Card drivers and Latest Direct X

Add in components 1 by 1 ie Hard drive > reboot > sound card > install drivers > reboot > network card > install Drivers > reboot and so on......

Hopefully youll have no issues installing all the components to your system but if you do at least you'll know what the troublesome component is!

Then re-enable USB and try adding on you components there in the same way.

I looked up a whole lot off other crap too but i'd be here all night typing away! Plus im at work hehehe

Last edited by GaulHahn; 20th May, 2003 at 11:01 AM.
Old 20th May, 2003, 02:59 PM

thanks. ill try that then. at this stage ill try anything.

the only problem installing drivers so far has been that the gfx card ones werent xp certified or whatever..
Old 21st May, 2003, 12:41 AM

rite. ive just reformatted and reinstalled...

i have the same problem with the usb zip drive.

i havent had a bsod in the hour and a half since i did, but im expecting it anytime soon..

any ideas about the zip drive? perhaps its a usb/mobo problem then? or what?
Old 21st May, 2003, 03:46 AM

So is the PC stable without the drive? Hopefully so. i'll have squiz at a few things and see waht i can dig up.

Edit: by the way what model is the zip drive and how old?

Last edited by GaulHahn; 21st May, 2003 at 03:50 AM.
Old 21st May, 2003, 05:40 AM

Have a read of this, it might explain your problems?
Old 22nd May, 2003, 03:24 AM

its an iomega zip250 external zip drive.

i bought it about 4 or 5 months ago. it worked fine on my other pc running win xp.
Old 23rd May, 2003, 10:59 PM

At risk of stating the obvious, I was just wondering if your using the latest software for your drive.

I had a look through the FAQ's on the Iomega site and found this.

The bit that stuck out was the following:

Quote "Important: Using prior versions of IomegaWare in Windows XP may cause your computer to blue screen or be unstable."
Old 24th May, 2003, 12:28 AM

em.. ill download that now and see.. tbh, i hadnt considered anything for the zip drive as it worked fine on my other xp machine..
Old 24th May, 2003, 08:50 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

If installing the update(s) for this Zip drive don't help, please tell us about it.