AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th May, 2003, 09:26 PM

sorry.. ive been at work all day and couldnt reply sooner.

no, no luck. they dont help at all. i still have the 20 min hang at boot.

people on various other forums all seem to agree that the ram is faulty and this is causing the bsods.. would you all agree? or not? please be honest lads and dont just sad it if you dont know what your talking about (cheers.. )..

also, if this is the case, how can the ram affect just this usb zip drive at boot?
Old 25th May, 2003, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by themonkeekiller
sorry.. ive been at work all day and couldnt reply sooner.

no, no luck. they dont help at all. i still have the 20 min hang at boot.

people on various other forums all seem to agree that the ram is faulty and this is causing the bsods.. would you all agree? or not? please be honest lads and dont just sad it if you dont know what your talking about (cheers.. )..

also, if this is the case, how can the ram affect just this usb zip drive at boot?
Yeah, funnily enough i found some info whilst checking out your error codes, which did refer to memory errors to do with cache, video and main memory:

Bug Check 0x50: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
The PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA bug check has a value of 0x00000050. This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.

Parameters
The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen.

Parameter Description
1 Memory address referenced
2 0: Read operation
1: Write operation

3 Address that referenced memory (if known)
4 Reserved

If the driver responsible for the error can be identified, its name is printed on the blue screen and stored in memory at the location (PUNICODE_STRING) KiBugCheckDriver.

Cause
Bug check 0x50 usually occurs after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM ).

Another common cause is the installation of a faulty system service.

Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume.

Resolving the Problem
Resolving a faulty hardware problem: If hardware has been added to the system recently, remove it to see if the error recurs. If existing hardware has failed, remove or replace the faulty component. You should run hardware diagnostics supplied by the system manufacturer. For details on these procedures, see the owner’s manual for your computer.

Resolving a faulty system service problem: Disable the service and confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer of the system service about a possible update. If the error occurs during system startup, restart your computer, and press F8 at the character-mode menu that displays the operating system choices. At the resulting Windows Advanced Options menu, choose the Last Known Good Configuration option. This option is most effective when only one driver or service is added at a time.

Resolving an antivirus software problem: Disable the program and confirm that this resolves the error. If it does, contact the manufacturer of the program about a possible update.

Resolving a corrupted NTFS volume problem: Run Chkdsk /f /r to detect and repair disk errors. You must restart the system before the disk scan begins on a system partition. If the hard disk is SCSI, check for problems between the SCSI controller and the disk.

Finally, check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help pinpoint the device or driver that is causing the error. Disabling memory caching of the BIOS might also resolve it.

Comments
Typically, this address is in freed memory or is simply invalid.

This cannot be protected by a try - except handler — it can only be protected by a probe.
Old 25th May, 2003, 01:36 AM

Thinking about it, I suppose its possible that the address that your USB drive tries to use in memory may be faulty.

Try running MemTest 86 to check for memory errors

What brand of RAM do you have anyhow?
Old 25th May, 2003, 04:49 AM

i have tried memtest. it came up with errors on test 4 and 5 (at least i think they were them), but there was no way to save this info, and the tests just seemed to loop for hours.. i set it running, went to bed, and it was still going in the morn.

my ram is:

512mb corsair pc2700 ddr ram
this link is the exact one:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?acti...7&GrpID=9&s=pl
Old 29th May, 2003, 12:17 PM

this sounds exactly the same problem as I am having, I have also tired replacing all parts of the machine and still it hangs or reboots for no reason. I sent my board back RMA to OCUK but they cant find a fault with it.. I'm desperate for help, the cpu works fine in another board, tried 3 sticks of DIMM 2 corsair 2700 1 twinmoss 3200, 2 PSU's (1X400W 1x550W) but still nothing works. When mine BSOD's it reboots before I can grab the message but pagefile sounds familiar.
Old 29th May, 2003, 11:58 PM

if you want to catch the bsod do the following:

right click my computer.
go to advanced.
click settings under startup and recovery
under system failure untick system restart.

all this does is make the pc stop when you get the bsod. you can then take it down or whatever.
then just hit reset when your done.

oh, and everyone on other forums seems to blame ram for this prob.. so i have a new stick of ram.. which im trying for as few days...
Old 30th May, 2003, 09:33 PM

dude, i haven't read all the posts in this thread, but jeez, if you're getting any errors in memtest86, then that's the problem.

lower your memory hub multiplier so that its mhz is reduced to under 400, and see if that clears your problems in windowz.
Old 30th May, 2003, 09:39 PM

it's got ram problem written all over it. the fact that it posts, freezes up in windows erratically, and most importantly, it failed the ram test in memtest86.

it's a no brainer. definitely the ram. lower you memory speed and it will work. you may want to rma that corsair.

I've had corsair (and many others) that didn't live upto its stock speed rating. they will replace it for you. that's what the lifetime warrantee is for, atleast in my experiences, all co.s will take it back with the right argument and tone of voice....

use prime95 to torture-test/burn-n your system, and update us on the predicament.
Old 31st May, 2003, 07:05 PM

For what it's worth.........I too have a Chieftec case with a Chieftec branded 340w psu. I have just replaced my GF3 which died with a spare Gainward GF3 Ti500 Golden Sample and as soon as i rebooted after fitting it, i too had the random reboot issue.

I dont have the extra external drives you do, but anyhow during my trial and error phase i swapped my fitted psu with a spare one i had around.

The one that came with the case matched my spare for watts supplied at the respective voltages APART from the 5v+. The spare gives 40w as opposed to 30w from the Chieftec psu.

Since then its worked perfectly.

Just a thought...........

Cheers

Steve