AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th September, 2012, 11:24 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
A nine year leap, wow.
Well you see George, twas a quantum leap
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th September, 2012, 03:05 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
We would wait forever to find a security hole in Linux let alone trying to find one in the fix!
Security holes in Linux are pretty common. Guess you haven't looked at the lists of security vulns that most decent distros publish? Here's the list for Ubuntu. That's over 60 security holes fixed in the last month - note that one entry in the list may fix more than one security hole.

Mint, unfortunately, doesn't publish security advisories, so it's hard to know what is patched.

Last edited by Aedan; 14th September, 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th September, 2012, 07:02 PM
Benchmarker

You might want to buy one of this if you're running linux! Butterflylabs - Pre-order Products
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Last edited by chrisbard; 14th September, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 14th September, 2012, 10:52 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The 3.5 Ghz model is reasonably priced at $149. But does it throttle itself down if you're lacking a 3.5 Ghz pipe? And are two necessary, one for sender one for catcher?
Old 14th September, 2012, 11:41 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedan View Post
Security holes in Linux are pretty common. Guess you haven't looked at the lists of security vulns that most decent distros publish? Here's the list for Ubuntu. That's over 60 security holes fixed in the last month - note that one entry in the list may fix more than one security hole.

Mint, unfortunately, doesn't publish security advisories, so it's hard to know what is patched.
Is it really a security hole if no one cares or bothers enough to exploit it?

and I suppose you never consider the possibility that Mint doesn't publish them as it...doesn't want me to worry? Or just maybe, maybe there aren't any?

But then, YOUR professionally invested in that answer aren't you!? LOL
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 15th September, 2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Is it really a security hole if no one cares or bothers enough to exploit it?

But then, YOUR professionally invested in that answer aren't you!? LOL
Firstly, if you are saying that Linux is better because it doesn't have security holes, then you need to apply the same methodology to Linux that you are to Windows. A wake up call is needed, because several of us here have been involved in cleaning up the mess that happens when someone breaks into a Linux box. So, I know that it happens - remember I also used to break into systems for a living. If people believe that their OS won't ever suffer from malware, they're suffering under a false illusion.

I'd love to say it's not security hole if no-one bothers. At the moment, that's a bit where I see the Linux desktop at the moment. However, be aware of what's been happening to Apple's OS X platform. Once they could make a big deal out of not needing malware protection, because their market share was so small that it wasn't worth targeting. However, as OS X has gained market share, it's gained the attention of those malware authors. Even now, there are plenty of OS X users who don't believe they need any malware protection, because they believe the OS doesn't suffer from malware. Looking at Wikimedia's stats for desktop OSes that visit, approx 88% of their users come from a Windows platform. Approx 10% comes from OS X, and approx 2% come from Linux.

If you're attempting to steal banking details, do you target the 88%, the 10% or the 2%? I suspect that if Linux makes it to the 10% market share on the desktop, then you'll see the same issues that affect Windows and OS X.

My professional vested interest is making sure that the code that the company I work for produces is as secure as the team I'm part of can manage, because we have customers that need our assurances. I know code well enough to know that there's no such thing as 100% secure code. My issue with open source code comes partly because some is used within the company I work for. Many of the security headaches we have had have come from the open source code unfortunately.

Last edited by Aedan; 15th September, 2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 15th September, 2012, 05:23 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

While I agree with all you say, be a fool not to, must you say it in front of Chris Bard!?

He's new to Linux and you might upset him!

If you going to have an OS that reaches out into the word, your going to be at war.

You, not I, are in a position to judge weather a piece of code or an OS is prepared for the battle.

I would be very interested in your opinion of SELinux, don't actually use it as I've had my own wars with SE as far as permissions go. Nothing I hate more than being told I don't have what it takes to open my own files! No doubt my own ignorance of proper setup, but there it is!

I've never been assaulted in any way on line, never had a virus...But I have had to dump whole installs because it's creator, me, can't access any of their files.

Personally, I believe in back ups, lots of 'em. Let them hack away, I'm rarely more than a half hour away from restore... Does cost me work from time to time...

A real draw back for those whose work is of a critical nature.

My rule of thumb is to make it more trouble for them to harm me than it is for me to heal me... But mostly my confidence is based upon profitability, beyond spite, there's nothing here of interest to any but me.":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 15th September, 2012, 05:26 PM
Benchmarker

Talking

Quote:
While I agree with all you say, be a fool not to, must you say it in front of Chris Bard!?:O}
Like all this is new to me Daniel just because I don't take linucs by faith?

Old 15th September, 2012, 06:22 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I know it is Chris, I'm trying to keep people from scaring you!

Faith is a blessing if you have it. But it is not the essential thing. What matters most is purity of heart. Purity of heart is to will one thing. To be be all one color, all one intention, all of one dedication.

The pure is unmixed and completely itself.

One may be pure only in the "Good" What is pure is good. it is itself and as it was created and is untarnished by contact with the Earthly things.

Purity does not exist in Nature, no where can it be found. Purity only makes sense in reference to out intentions.

Purity then, becomes action when we will one thing. There is but one thing that we may will purely and never come to harm.

Purity then is to will the Good...always, in all times and in all places, to will the good.

So we need not have any faith what so ever when it comes to Linux. We need only support her so long as she works within the good we will.

So long as she is an expression of our good will....and not one minute longer.

And yes, one might apply these words to the less important aspects of our lives as well, like the formation of character, the rising of children and balancing justice with mercy

these things are the field of action upon which purity battles for supremacy. Linux is but another foot solder in the army of the light. ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 15th September, 2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 16th September, 2012, 11:36 AM
Benchmarker

I'd rather be a MS biatch than a linucs preacher!

Old 16th September, 2012, 05:17 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Like you have a choice! LOL

(Your only real choice is weather you choose to will the Good, everything else is just by the way, Everything else is just what happened to you on the way home.)
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 16th September, 2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 16th September, 2012, 05:21 PM
Benchmarker

I do, I choose my OS wisely

Old 16th September, 2012, 05:28 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yeah that's what happened to you on the way home...lost in the phantasmagoria of confused intentions...

When we need only will one thing....":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 18th September, 2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I would be very interested in your opinion of SELinux, don't actually use it as I've had my own wars with SE as far as permissions go. Nothing I hate more than being told I don't have what it takes to open my own files! No doubt my own ignorance of proper setup, but there it is!
If you have a server with software that doesn't change, and you don't mind putting the rather large amount of effort in, then SE Linux works. If you're a desktop user and change your applications in and out all the time, SE Linux is not suitable unless you want to spend more time fixing permissions issues than running applications.

In other words, SE Linux does work, but it's a huge pain to get it working.
Old 18th September, 2012, 08:53 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

You mean...it wasn't my fault! SE screws everyone!? This is such good news for me I can tell you!! LOL

This was partly your fault you see? My thinking was "I have a good friend in computer security, the lest I can do is have some. That way we might have something more to talk about."

But every time I enabled it, SE wouldn't let me say a damn thing! It wouldn't let me enter my home! it held my parent folders hostage! When it basically told me I was no longer welcome in my own home folder, I pulled the plug for good,...See all your fault! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 18th September, 2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 19th September, 2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
You mean...it wasn't my fault! SE screws everyone!? This is such good news for me I can tell you!! LOL

This was partly your fault you see? My thinking was "I have a good friend in computer security, the lest I can do is have some. That way we might have something more to talk about."
You see, SE Linux is like a bad tempered bouncer, but there are ways of bending it to your bidding. SE Linux has three modes as follows:
  • Do nothing
  • Moan a lot
  • Yer name's not down on the list, yer not coming in

If you just go from "Do nothing" to "Name's not down on the list", it will stop you as you found out. It's generally best to go to the "Moan a lot" first, where instead of stopping things happening, it'll just complain about them instead. That way you have a chance to fix the complaints before they become "not on the list".

Personally, I think that SE Linux isn't the best way of implementing this. One of the problems is that Linux already has one way of looking at permissions, but SE introduces another totally different way of looking at permissions. The end result is two permissions systems that don't really work together, but work against each other.

Personally I wouldn't run SE on a personal system, because things change too much. It's a bit like trying to enforce military style checkpoints in your home - it'll never work very well.
Old 19th September, 2012, 03:14 PM
Benchmarker

We all love linux when it starts don't we? Well maybe not all!

Old 19th September, 2012, 09:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedan View Post
You see, SE Linux is like a bad tempered bouncer, but there are ways of bending it to your bidding. SE Linux has three modes as follows:
  • Do nothing
  • Moan a lot
  • Yer name's not down on the list, yer not coming in

If you just go from "Do nothing" to "Name's not down on the list", it will stop you as you found out. It's generally best to go to the "Moan a lot" first, where instead of stopping things happening, it'll just complain about them instead. That way you have a chance to fix the complaints before they become "not on the list".

Personally, I think that SE Linux isn't the best way of implementing this. One of the problems is that Linux already has one way of looking at permissions, but SE introduces another totally different way of looking at permissions. The end result is two permissions systems that don't really work together, but work against each other.

Personally I wouldn't run SE on a personal system, because things change too much. It's a bit like trying to enforce military style checkpoints in your home - it'll never work very well.
If you would have just cursed and sworen a bit you would have summed up all my feelings about SE Linux! Thank you, I now feel a bit better about my self! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 19th September, 2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 20th September, 2012, 08:57 AM

I never got beyond the "moan a lot" stage, so I never had it actually enforcing what was happening. I realised by then how much effort it was going to be.
Old 20th September, 2012, 06:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

There you go again! Relying upon superior knowledge to keep you out of trouble.

All I've got is these knee and elbow pads that came with my back up drive!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur