AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th August, 2003, 10:16 AM

new motherboard and xp 2500 and ti4200

hey maybe someone can shed some light on my problem. I play mohaa alot and thats the main reason for my upgrade. Problem is that I can play for an hour then the screen goes black and it restarts. although I can leave the computer on all night and nothing happens? Right now my cpu temp is 127 no load, 90 md and 90 hdd but its also 90 degrees and 60% humidity. I have no clue but maybe vid card overheating? Previos set up was POS Biostar mb, xp 1800 and 512 2700 ddr ram, ran like a champ but wayyyyy to slow, but anyways had no problem playing the gamke with that set up. Maybe I did something to the vid card when I swapped it out? Anyone else have this videocard? The fan on it seems alittle slow becuase I can barely touch it and it stops. Any suggestions? card cooler? What is the safe temp for the new barton 512 xp 2500? I have a thermaltake cpu cooler on the way but I am concerned its way too hot.

:Edit: Mb is the new epox 8kra2
Old 19th August, 2003, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine2g
Right now my cpu temp is 127 no load,
My 2100+ Palomino doesn't get that hot at 100% load
What's your temp while the game is running?
Reboots like that are usually heat related.
Check you seated your HSF properly
Old 19th August, 2003, 02:15 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Soul99

can you run 3dmark 2001 for a few hours without problems?
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th August, 2003, 06:04 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, alpine2g!

107F/52C processor temperature at idle can be lived with. The problem is that the CPU's temperature under load is scary with such a high idle temp to start off with. ~37C at idle and ~45C under heavy load are ideal. And not easy to pull off in 90F weather!

If your case has plenty of ventilation already(I like 100 cfm flowing through an Athlon case--just MHO) and you're using a mondo heatsink that uses an 80mm fan, and said fan is pumping 50 cfm plus--you may simply have to avoid running CPU intensive programs until the ambient temperature comes down. You might try removing the case's left cover temporarily and blasting the inside of the case with a serious house fan.

Water cooling will do the trick, but it's a somewhat scary proposition. Plus money, of course.
Old 19th August, 2003, 07:32 PM

it's at 129 degrees with full load, I have put a box fan on the side and it changed about 9 degrees. Still restarted itself after an hour or so playing mohaa. I think my problem is the video card not cooling off. But I'm a n00b so..
Old 22nd August, 2003, 12:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Soul99

unless your overclocking the gfx card then it should run fine with default cooling, has the fan stopped??
is your case really small with no ventalation?
try running it with the cover off completely.
you need to try an eliminate the temperature as the problem, i have run and benched AMD cpu's at over 100 degrees centigrade with no i'll affects, so i know that they can run at those temps tho it is possible it is the cause of your problems.

have you got a large house fan? if so take off the pc's case and blast it through with the fan on highest speed, i used to run my pc all time time like that, the best air cooling you can probibly get this should sort your temps, and if your pc still crashes then you have other problems.
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd August, 2003, 07:52 PM

good news, I just got my thermal take cpu cooler in the mail yesterday and now my temps have all dropped!!!! Cpu temp went down 20+ degrees, mb temp went down 8 degrees.
Old 1st September, 2003, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine2g
good news, I just got my thermal take cpu cooler in the mail yesterday and now my temps have all dropped!!!! Cpu temp went down 20+ degrees, mb temp went down 8 degrees.

Does MOHAA work now?

Also, about the temps, and the immediate droppage: a little story.
I had an ECS K7AMA board (ALi chipset) (may still be in my sig, i dunno). 1.33 gig tbird, on a volcano 7 w/TIM pad (that came with it) my temp slowly crept up to 153 F! So, I take it off, clean off the heatsink, lap it, use some nice coolermaster goop (works as well as artic silver), and voila, back down to 100. But, over a relatively short period of time (a week or two), it worked its way back up to 153. I realized, that with all the modification I had done, and all the nice cooling I had, there was no way in heck that the processor really was 153. I wrote it off to sucky sensors that reset down to 100 every time I reseated the processor, and uninstalled motherboard monitor.

(Follow-up: Mobo: dead due to bad caps. CPU: I think the core is cracked, see my recent post on the matter. HSF: removed, with a little corner of the cpu on it. I've sworn off single-clip designs, as a paranoia thing now, and am awaiting Barton 2500 and Alpha PAL8045 (HSF not ordered yet, if anyone has a better idea, please reply before I order it!))

Moral: Temperature sensors suck, and can give you the illusion that all your tweaks drop the temp temporarily 50 degrees.
Athlon T-Bird 1.33, 133MHz bus, 512MB Crucial CL2 SDRAM (Ultra 2 Timings), ECS K7AMA Motherboard (ALi Chipset) BLOWN CAPACITORS , BFG GeForce 4 Ti-4200 128MB 8x (350/513), 40 GB WD Caviar, 80 GB WD Caviar, 48x16x48 CD-RW, 6x DVD ROM

I need a new mobo! Anyone have a spare Asus A7N8X or similarily plushy athlon mobo?

Currently on IBM ThinkPad i Series 1400 (Pentium 266-MMX, 4 gb hd, NeoMagic MagicGraph 128ZX+ video)