AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th January, 2002, 12:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to e_storm

*update*

Well, as an update. I got my new (used) CD rom drive today. It is a Mitsumi 32x. I hooked it up the same way that the 2X was hooked up and I get the same problem.

to answer a previos post, when I boot using the Win ME boot disk (which installs the Oak Cd rom drivers). I go to the D: prompt, then I type >dir...I still get the Abort, Retry, Fail prompt. Remembering that one of u guys was wondering what it would say if I hit (F) for Fail. It said: "Volume in Drive D has no label".

I'm gonna try going to a different IDE port next...will repost later.

On a side note, whenever this computer has been sitting for a while (week or so) and I boot it up, about half the time I get a message that says: "System battery is dead, replace and run setup
Real time Clock error
Mouse Initialized"

The battery has been replaced in the past 2 months...hmmm.
Interesting, no?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th January, 2002, 12:57 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to CNUCompGuy Send a message via AIM to CNUCompGuy Send a message via Yahoo to CNUCompGuy

if a different IDE port doesn't work, have u double-checked to make sure that ur boot disk actually labels ur CD-ROM as the D drive?? Cuz the program I posted lists it as the X drive....that might be ur problem, u might be tryin to access the CD-ROM with the wrong drive letter....also, if changin IDE ports still doesn't work, then just try the program I posted and remember that the CD-ROM is the X drive....one last thing to try....if the CD-ROM that ur tryin o read from is a copy, the it might not have a label, which sometimes causes problems with DOS....try another CD that's premade and see if it can read it, if so, then that's ur problem, lol, good luck
Old 20th January, 2002, 01:50 PM

*update* #2

Ok, looks like it was the IDE channel. I only have 0 and 1 IDE channels on this computer and evidently only 0 works. So, now I have both the CD rom and HD on the same IDE channel. Seems to be working ok now, am in the middle of a Mandrake install

Thanks again for all the help guys
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th January, 2002, 06:23 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

Are you sure it wasn't just the cable?
Old 20th January, 2002, 09:11 PM

yea, I'm sure... I used the same cable that was on the CD rom drive when it wasn't working.

In fact, when I just swapped the components IDE ports (ie. put the HD on the former CD Rom IDE port and vice versa), the HD started having problems. Kept the same cables with the component when I switched them. Then I was sure it was the IDE port and not the cable.