AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st August, 2003, 12:25 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

I think I just broke my cherry

And my first CPU.

I just put together a system for my grandson. I bought it second hand. It is an Iwill KK266 with a 1GHz TBirb and an SK6 with a delta 38 on it.

I couldn't stand the whine of the delta anymore. So I ran down to my local best buy to pick up a 60mm fan. The sales man told me they didn't have any and then he actually told me to order it from NewEgg.com. But I am going offshore in about an hour and didn't want to wait. I put an 80mm fan on at a 45 degree angle. It was working fine then it started makeing a ticing noise. I opened up the side and saw that the fan was sometimes striking the spring on the SK6 clip. I shut down the computer and attemped to adjust the fan clips while it was still attached. I heard a poping sound. Now when I start the computer up it will post and start loading windows but then sponateously reboots (was working rock solid for 4 days prior to this). It sometimes finishes loading windows and sometimes reboots at the splash screen.

I tried removing the HSF and reseating it. When i removed it I noticed that a very thin sliver of cpu core that was the length of the entire core was now stuck to the bottom of the HSF. Not a good sign.

Now sometimes it loads windows then reboots, sometimes it reboots while reloading windows, sometimes it gives me an error message that the boot sector is corupt or it tells me that a device failed to load. The baffleing thing is that I can get into the bios and play around in there for as long as I want.

I think the cpu is toast. So when I ask what you guys think I expect you to tell me it's toast. But I want to know if it is likely and why can I get into the bios?

Any ideas anyone?

Anyone know where I can get a cheap TBird chip?

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st August, 2003, 04:05 AM

Staz , When you get back you could try Compusa. They have a store in Baton Rouge , looks like about 60 miles from Lafayette. They'll probably have a Labor Day sale going. Or try one of your local whitebox (mom + pop) computer stores but probably won't be as cheap. This is if you need it real soon. Otherwise you could go with Newegg, Googlegear, (Fry's) Outpost.com, ExCaliberPC.com....There are a bunch of places online. Do yourself a favor and paste the name of the online store you might use in Resellerratings.com to be sure they have a good rating.
Bob
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st September, 2003, 06:26 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Eep. Not fun. 'Fraid the processor is toast, it's a miracle that the machine still boots at all. Which may NOT be a "good thing."

If the Iwill KK266 is also history, you might pick up an ECS K7S5A PRO and an XP 1700+, for a total of $94, shipped from the Egg. It'll run PC-133 SDRAM if you want it to. Not an OCer's mobo, but it's good quality. Who knows, maybe the 1700+ you get may be an OCer's dream, in that case perhaps your grand son will need a different, well-seasoned CPU?
Old 6th September, 2003, 06:22 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Hey guess what?

A new CPU from newegg.com for $40 cured the problem. Imagine that. But the HDD is scrambled. I tried to run disk scan/repair and defrag but all the drivers are hosed and the system isn't what it's suposed to be and it all appears software. So it appears that an F Disk and reinstall is in order.

I guess worse could have happened.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 7th September, 2003, 06:29 AM

Staz, Glad to see you are getting it going again.
Bob
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah