AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st August, 2003, 09:05 AM

Lock Up

Hi all
Newbie here.

Question....I have recently purchased a new Jetway m/b and athlon 1.3ghz. Bought this to run MAME programs and is fine.
But....It is constantly locking up on me. I can't get it to do a clean install of windows xp or win98. It gets so far and then just stops on xp or comes up with various BSOD errors on 98. When I can get into windows it locks up when it feels like.
I know its not h/drives cause i can do clean install on my old P3.
Now this is what i have done upto now.
Had board replaced (it took 2 and half wks to get board back), changed memory, video card, PSU. The only thing I haven't been able to replace yet is the CPU. The temp of cpu starts at approx 25 when turned on and the errors seem to happen when it gets to about 50.
Is this temp normal and from what I have wrote does it sound like a stuffed CPU?
What wattage is good for a PSU

Thanks all

DJ_JON
Old 31st August, 2003, 09:05 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, dj_jon!

Athlons draw a LOT of power from a PSU. The 1.3 Ghz model also puts out a LOT of heat. P3's are mild mannered reporters, in that they don't suck as much Amperage from a PSU and don't get as hot as the Athlon family.

A 350W PSU that's approved by AMD is about as low as one can go with the Athlon family of processor's. AMD no longer publishes lists of approved PSU's, if in doubt, just ask if the PSU is good enough for AMD K7 duty here, or on other knowledgeable BBS's.

Another other critical item that may be causing you grief is the heatsink and fan combination that's used on your CPU. In many instances, the HSF that's good enough for a P3 isn't beefy enough for an Athlon.

How much fresh air that's pumped through a case is also very important in "Athlon land." If one isn't using an intelligent ducting method to bring air from outside of the case directly to the HSF on the CPU, I like 100 cfm going through the case that houses an AMD K7 family processor. Just MHO.