AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd September, 2003, 02:49 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I just had a weird problem when I was installing the OS on the girls new box. I took the drive out of the old system (XP OS) and put it into the new one.

I went threw the install (the first time when you boot from the cd and then it copys files and then it asks to restart)

So I let it restart (booting from HD now) and kept getting a DISK I/O error) I never got one of those while installing the new OS. (note: when I was installing it noticed the old OS and asked if I wanted to repair it. I said yes)

So the next time around I said do not repair and did a new partition and format. After that everything seems to be fine. It's running right now.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd September, 2003, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie
I just had a weird problem when I was installing the OS on the girls new box. I took the drive out of the old system (XP OS) and put it into the new one.

I went threw the install (the first time when you boot from the cd and then it copys files and then it asks to restart)

So I let it restart (booting from HD now) and kept getting a DISK I/O error) I never got one of those while installing the new OS. (note: when I was installing it noticed the old OS and asked if I wanted to repair it. I said yes)

So the next time around I said do not repair and did a new partition and format. After that everything seems to be fine. It's running right now.
Rob
But my system is installedAFTER the new hardware came in. Besides im pretty sure thats somethings screwed uo with the cd drives or something, how to set them up in bios and how to test the drive itself for faults then the discs ive burned, thx.
Old 2nd September, 2003, 02:55 PM

Hmmm dunno if i should weeee now, but it seems that ive eliminated it down to "only" include all linux systems.

Tried:
Mandrake 9.0
Mandrake 9.1
Red Hat 8.0
Lindows 2.0

All freezes somewhere under install,
Tried knoppix live cd 3.2 too, that too just froze. So i need some boot paramenters for linux.
Old 2nd September, 2003, 06:12 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCarnival
Hmmm dunno if i should weeee now, but it seems that ive eliminated it down to "only" include all linux systems.

Tried:
Mandrake 9.0
Mandrake 9.1
Red Hat 8.0
Lindows 2.0

All freezes somewhere under install,
Tried knoppix live cd 3.2 too, that too just froze. So i need some boot paramenters for linux.

Ideally, Linux will have the entire "D" drive to itself. "D" as in dev/hdb, not a "D" partition(dev/hda2) on the Primary Master HDD.

AFAIK, modern Linux's are "happiest" when they have a plain old FAT32 partition to start with. They then subdivide the said FAT32 partition(or entire "D\:" aka dev/hda2[better to have dev/hdb!] drive if it has only one FAT32 partition) into ext3 or Reiser partition(s)--it's usually your choice, choose ext3, btw--plus a Swap partition.

The way this problem is going, perhaps it's best to tear down the entire system and start with an empty case!
Old 4th September, 2003, 04:20 PM

have a 80gig 2nd hdd for free linux use if it wanted that. At any rate ive installed a linux system once in windows thru vmware, so its not the ram, powersupply or anything, "just" some misconfiguration in bios, anything to look after, plz hows your hdd's /cdrom drives setup. !! PLZ
Old 7th September, 2003, 06:46 AM

Sounds like the hdd is on the way out. You could try setting up the cd-rom as master on the secondary IDE and dvd as the slave. Or try cable select on both the primary and secondary IDE. I don't know squat about Linux , but I've read that you sometimes have to re-write the Master Boot record when changing flavors.
Bob
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!