AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th September, 2003, 08:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to thehandler

pulling my hair out with XP

I was up all night last night and then had to go to work this am. Here is the deal
I just changed from a VIA mobo to a new ABit NF7-S board with the Nforce chipset. I knew there would be some driver issues but thought XP could cope with it. After the install, I went to boot up into my regular IDE XP drive, nothing. Got a post but no windows boot. I have tried to boot into safe mode, no go. All I get is that
bLue device error screen. I've tried everything. I tried the repair the XP option, etc etc. I cant even get into the drive in the safe mode. I tried booting from the CD, I tried reparing from the booted CD. I tried booting into a 98 drive and did so successfully then ran the XP CD from the CD drive and tried to repair the XP drive from there.
Long and short of it guys is this, what is up with this XP thing?
I cant reformat and install XP over the drive as it has very critical data on it. Does everyone who switches from a VIA mobo to a Nforce mobo have to put up with this? Why will my win 98 drives fire and prompt for all the missing stuff but the XP drive sits there like a rock??? Mike
PC-3200 2 gig. G.SKILL cas 2 with Heatspreaders.
HIS Radeon XP1650GT/512 GDDAN-R ICEQ RTL.
WD SATA Raptor 150GIG
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.
PSU 700W GameXStream RT OCZ700GXSSLI.
Thermaltake Xaser III V1000A Case.
21” Samsung LCD monitor.
LOGITECH THX Z-5300 5.1 surround.
XP-PRO OS.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th September, 2003, 08:43 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehandler
I was up all night last night and then had to go to work this am. Here is the deal
I just changed from a VIA mobo to a new ABit NF7-S board with the Nforce chipset. I knew there would be some driver issues but thought XP could cope with it. After the install, I went to boot up into my regular IDE XP drive, nothing. Got a post but no windows boot. I have tried to boot into safe mode, no go. All I get is that
bLue device error screen. I've tried everything. I tried the repair the XP option, etc etc. I cant even get into the drive in the safe mode. I tried booting from the CD, I tried reparing from the booted CD. I tried booting into a 98 drive and did so successfully then ran the XP CD from the CD drive and tried to repair the XP drive from there.
Long and short of it guys is this, what is up with this XP thing?
I cant reformat and install XP over the drive as it has very critical data on it. Does everyone who switches from a VIA mobo to a Nforce mobo have to put up with this? Why will my win 98 drives fire and prompt for all the missing stuff but the XP drive sits there like a rock??? Mike
Still having fun with all this?

Since you have a couple of spare drives, you're best off setting XP up afresh on a different drive and using that to recover your files. Or alternatively, follow that link to Knoppix I posted in the other thread.

If that doesn't work, then you may have to revert to your original mobo for long enough to get your data off the drive, then try again.

Unfortunately you'll never manage to repair your existing XP - something to do with M$'s "Trusted Computing" model

"Trusted Computing" was just a gleam in an accountant's eye when 98 was released, therefore it has no problem dealing with new hardware.