AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th September, 2003, 03:15 PM

Installed new fan, now windows wont load?

Hi guys, new to forum... heres my problem:

I installed a new Coolermaster Aero 7 Lite fan yesterday. I took the PSU out so i could get round the back and clip the fan in. Turned my computer on, and gets past the black screen, and locks up just before you expect the 'Loading Windows' splash screen with the green running bar. I restarted my computer, and tried it in safe mode. All the drivers load, and locks up same again, just before you expect the splash screen. I then tried to bootup off the XP cd, but everytime I do this it locks up before I get the options screen (repair, new install etc.). Also thought the new fan may be draining power from the system, so hard drive wouldnt load. So i disconnected the fans power, but again, lockup before splash screen.

I have a 2nd PC, so I took my HD over to that and put it in as a slave. I could access all my data and even run files off it, so I presumed the HD is not faulty. I thought my IDE cable may be the problem, so I switched over to a different IDE cable, same lockup problem.

With the HD as a slave in my 2nd PC, I went into windows XP setup and installed XP again, over the top of the old install. I then put it back into the 1st PC, booted up but just before the splash screen it gives an blue screen error. I then got desperate, plugged HD back into 2nd PC as a slave, formatted it and installed XP fresh. I then put the HD into 1st PC and it now says 'No Bootup Disk Present'.

The HD can be seen in BIOS and in other computers, it isnt the IDE cable either. Even thought a BIOS flash might help cure it, but since I cant access my HD (just says no Disk present) I cant copy AWDFLASH over to the HD to flash the BIOS. I'm all out of ideas, any help?

Specs if needed:
AMD XP 2700+
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe mobo
Maxtor 120GB + 8MB buffer Hard-drive

Last edited by RickBaker; 28th September, 2003 at 03:24 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th September, 2003, 09:22 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, RickBaker!

If you don't have an "AMD Approved" power supply, just installing the new fan may have created a problem for the PS. If your new CPU fan draws less current than the one you replaced, this theory is obviously out the window.

Some Windows OS's have to be installed in the C:\ partition of the Primary Master(also known as Master on the IDE 0 channel) drive. All of them prefer to be installed there. If you installed the OS on a Primary Slave HDD, it probably won't work if you move that drive into the Primary Master position on IDE 0.

Personally, I'd leave the BIOS alone at this point. As it's probably not at fault, messing with it may simply add needless complication to the problem.
Old 29th September, 2003, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the reply, I bought my computer as a whole from a manufacturer, so I presume the PSU is "AMD approved". I have tried with the fan out of the system and the same problem occured, so I dont think its a power issue.

I will try using my HD as master in the 2nd computer and installing an OS on it and see what happens.
Old 29th September, 2003, 02:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Soul99

Have you tried re-seating the heatsink? are you sure its making good contact?
what are your temps in the bios?

i'f you ahve dont nothing but remove the psu adn change the fan then my best guess is you've not installed the ehatsink correctly.

Take off the heatsink and check the bottom for a good imprint of the cpu core, also check you ahve not crushed the core, check the corners for little bits missing, it's possible to chip the core and still have it boot and seem to work ok.
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th October, 2003, 12:55 PM

my first thoughts are the same, CPU+Heatsink not making proper contact, is it on the right way around, most if not all heatsinks have a lip that goes to the "thick end" of the CPU socket.

ABIT AN7 2500xp-m @ 2.8ghz (H20-220 WC) , 1GB Twinmos PC3200, Radeon 9800pro(XT flashed)

Old 4th October, 2003, 07:57 PM

Yep, seated the right way and in contact. Its off to the manufacturer on Monday, so hopefully it will be sorted/repaired off warranty.
Old 6th October, 2003, 12:34 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBaker
Yep, seated the right way and in contact. Its off to the manufacturer on Monday, so hopefully it will be sorted/repaired off warranty.
I hope your machine will be running tip top ASAP. Were it mine, I'd be reluctant to scratch the heads of the screws holding the case together. Who knows what tattle tale seals may be hiding inside!