AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th October, 2003, 10:41 PM

Help! Hard disk failure on RAID?

My Win2K computer has major problems. It seems like a bad sector or bad disk, but I'm not sure. I do have 2 disk drives in a RAID setup (not mirrored) running Highpoint HPT370 with an EPOX 8K7A+ motherboard.

- At startup, it will continually restart after a blue screen. It does say "Starting Windows" and the windows logo shows up before the blue screen. The latest error was STOP 0x0000000A (0x00000020, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8043FD28) Address 8043FD28 base at 80400000, Datestamp 384d5a76 ntoskrnl.exe. (I did see one stop error that was 0x00000024).
- I tried to repair Win2K. It did find the disk volume and the \WINNT directory. I got into the recovery console and ran CHKDSK /P. It got to about 28% and then said "The volume contains one or more unrecoverable problems"
- I tried a complete re-install of Win2K in a different directory. It got part way through copying files to about the "f's", then started giving errors saying it couldn't copy the file. I tried to ignore the errors but it eventually quit.
- Getting more desperate, tried FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the recovery console. That didn't fix the problem.
- I tried PartitionMagic but I don't think it supports RAID drives from the DOS console (and I can't run the windows console).

Of course, I don't have everything I would like to have backed up, so I'm like to try and find a way in so I can get some files off. After that I'm more than willing to reformat the drive and start over.

Other things I've thought to do, but am not sure about the results:
- Install a separate IDE drive and install Win2K on it. Once Windows is running see I can see the RAID disks.
- In the Highpoint console swap the master and slave drives. I'm thinking I might be able to install a new copy of Win2K, but I'm guessing I won't be able to see files that are split across the 2 drives.
- Move the disks from the RAID controller to the IDE.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm running out of ideas on what to try.
Old 9th October, 2003, 02:44 AM

Ohmylord,
Going by the little bit that I know about RAID arrays, you say that your setup is not mirrored, so that would leave (with 2 disks) a raid 0 array , according to this is not a true RAID setup ( Redundant Array of Independant/Inexpensive Drives) because there is no redundancy built into the array. It does sound like you have a failed drive and probably won't be able to get your data intact because it is split between the 2 drives, 1 good and 1 failed. I hope I am wrong for your sake. When I find the funds and time to try RAID , I think I would go with 2 - 40GB drives striped and 1 80GB drive mirroring those ( or similiar with the combined striped array being matched in capacity by the mirror-ing drive) but I probably won't see the performance increase that striped only provides, I would think that the throughput would be limited by the transfer speed of the mirror drive.
Bob
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th October, 2003, 02:57 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmylord
- Install a separate IDE drive and install Win2K on it. Once Windows is running see I can see the RAID disks....
Any help would be appreciated. I'm running out of ideas on what to try.
Adding a HDD and installing an os on it to try to see the array is the best idea I can see... I've been in the same boat. Unfortunately, I was only partially successful. I don't run RAID0 anymore for this exact reason. Good luck..
Old 9th October, 2003, 06:39 AM

I did get a 2nd disk installed and Windows 2000 loaded, but now I can't see the RAID drives. When the computer first boots it shows the two drives right after the Highpoint driver installs. I tried moving them from Primary to Seconday, but when I get into Wiindows they don't show up in the Windows Explorer.
Old 9th October, 2003, 09:48 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

I'm presuming you did install the RAID driver on the new Win2K? If you didn't then they won't appear

In terms of your original problem, it could also have been caused by corruption of the disk. If you think there's bad sectors on the disk, you can run the manufacturer's tool against the drive, and see what it finds.
Old 9th October, 2003, 05:36 PM

Fixed!!!!

I'm back up and running. Thanks for all the help!!

I finally got the RAID driver loaded in Windows and it recognizes the drive. I ended up finding the way to manually add the device. The odd part was once I added it and rebooted, PnP found it again and added the driver again. So, it's listed twice, one of them with a caution icon. Oh well, I can see my old data and it seems to be in tact. I did try and get the system to boot off the RAID disks, but it kept booting off the IDE drive. Anyway, I'm going to start the big copy to back up everything.

I think I'm going to take this opportunity to reconfigure the drives and re-install everything. Now that I have 3 x 40GB drives how would you recommend I configure them (RAID vs IDE)? Ideally, I would like one 80 GB partition for applications and data and the other 40 GB drive for backup. Should I recreate the same striped RAID I had before, then use the IDE drive for a backup?

Thanks again for all the help. I still have work to do, but at least the data is there. I'll chalk this up a another reminder for regular backups!
Old 9th October, 2003, 06:03 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I'm glad you are able to access the data.... Now retrieve it as fast as you can... Before you try to get fancy with the config, keep in mind that something failed. It would be a good idea to figure that out before you proceed. It sounds like you may have 1 questionable drive in the mix.

Like I said before, I had the same problem, and I don't want to go through it again. The only raid I will consider for long term use would be raid1.
Old 20th October, 2003, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmylord
I'm back up and running. Thanks for all the help!!

I finally got the RAID driver loaded in Windows and it recognizes the drive. I ended up finding the way to manually add the device. The odd part was once I added it and rebooted, PnP found it again and added the driver again. So, it's listed twice, one of them with a caution icon. Oh well, I can see my old data and it seems to be in tact. I did try and get the system to boot off the RAID disks, but it kept booting off the IDE drive. Anyway, I'm going to start the big copy to back up everything.

I think I'm going to take this opportunity to reconfigure the drives and re-install everything. Now that I have 3 x 40GB drives how would you recommend I configure them (RAID vs IDE)? Ideally, I would like one 80 GB partition for applications and data and the other 40 GB drive for backup. Should I recreate the same striped RAID I had before, then use the IDE drive for a backup?

Thanks again for all the help. I still have work to do, but at least the data is there. I'll chalk this up a another reminder for regular backups!
The built in Raid on the board wont do it but if you can find a raid 5 card, cheaply, then with 3 same drives you can run a mix of speed and redundancy.
The disks are still striped for speed then the 3rd disk holds the parity bits for the data on the other 2 disks (error checking data). If 1 drive dies the raid can be re-built with half the data and the parity drive or the parity drive can be rebuilt from the data on the 2 data drives.
Raid 5 is exactly half way between raid 0 (striping - speed) and raid 1 (mirroring - redundancy) as it does both.
Old 20th October, 2003, 06:43 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercutioUK
Raid 5 is exactly half way between raid 0 (striping - speed) and raid 1 (mirroring - redundancy) as it does both.
Not only that, but you get the benefit of slow writes/rewrites too! RAID 3 is "halfway" between RAID 0 and RAID 1, as are other RAID levels.
Old 21st October, 2003, 01:34 PM

dont know if you have Western Digital drives but here is a RAID problem with them.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....ted=1047068027

ABIT AN7 2500xp-m @ 2.8ghz (H20-220 WC) , 1GB Twinmos PC3200, Radeon 9800pro(XT flashed)

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!