AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th November, 2003, 02:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to madmoe Send a message via Yahoo to madmoe

Unhappy dead pc :( help for a noob plz..

help me all you clever wonderfull people!

plz

i have just added a router to my broadband connection so that i could get the internet etc upsatirs... we set it all up and it worked like a treat after setting some settings..
next day i played a cd on my compy w/o the internet as we were going to be putting the network cable up permanly the next day...
the day that we were meant to be putting wires up i was up early for some reason and so i turned on my compy as norm and it was dead.. well the HDD was it wont boot a thing from it or even let me load windows... has it had it..... next problem i put the origional in after taking the one that was in out and went to boot it up.... it starts to load windows but after about 20s of loading up my screen goes blank and it starts beeping at me.. the whole lot has cut out exept the beeping.. it beeps high then low for about 2 secs a time so its hi lo hi lo etc etc...
has anyone got any ideas of whats going on with it.... its stll under warentee so im going to take it back if i cant get help here lol

thank a bunch peeps.....
any help grately appreciated even if all u can tell me is that it is totaled

XmadmoeX
Old 7th November, 2003, 05:57 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Can you provide some more details of the equipment you have? For example, what make the motherboard is. Does the old hard disk spin up at all?
Old 7th November, 2003, 07:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Soul99

I'm assuming all fans are spinning and nothings over heated.
Re-set the bios using the jumper on the motherboard and see if you can get into the bios setting as fast as you can, check the voltages and temps and make sure nothing is too abnormal.
Check the tops of the capacitors on the motherboard for any signs of leaking - looks like brown goo, possibly a bit crusty. If you CPU is compatable with your other pc's you might want to try swapping the cpu's over. The high, low, bios beeping is usually bad news, I cant remember exectally what they mean cus my systems have been stable for years
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th November, 2003, 04:55 AM

hi,lo,hi,lo --does it sound like a british police car siren ? If so, clear the cmos with the jumper placed in the "clear cmos" position with the psu unplugged and even the battery removed, for about 15-30 seconds. Then reverse the procedure and try to boot up. Sounds like either you overclocked it too far and the cpu or psu or memory can't handle it.
Bob
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th November, 2003, 10:44 PM

ok peeps

police car type noise it is...
no brown goo and i have overclocked it yet lol im only a begginer lol
HDD spins up and trys to boot

will load windows thta i installed previously and have forgotten all p/w too (woops) anyway... wen i try to load up the windows installer that is when it beeps....

also beeps if i go into bios so im stuck lol ... will try clearing cmos after i go offline tonite... thanks to all that have helped so far... any more is very welcom!!

nothing has over heated either its never reached above 38 degrees c

thanks peeps
10/100 onboard lan (also 1x PCI 10/100 Lan)
16 bit sound up to 4ch spk compatible
256mb ATI9200 All In Wonder
20 GB HDD x2
case in middle of being modded 1x cold cathode red/blue light and a hole in the side! painted half of it red/blk
250w psu

Anyone got a decent spare psu... im willing to buy...

thats about it
AOA Team fah
Old 11th November, 2003, 03:33 PM

hey peeps... i thinks its fixed

well thanks for the advice i have reset the cmos as you all said with the jumper.. anyway i am on that very pc not typing this to you guys so its fine for now... exept...

wen i get to the POST screen it finds my HDD and CD-ROM but it fails the floppy....

what is says is: floppy disk(s) fail (40)

what does this eman and how can i cure it!!

again thanks for any help and to the help that has been given!!

chrs dudes!
20 GB HDD x2
case in middle of being modded 1x cold cathode red/blue light and a hole in the side! painted half of it red/blk
250w psu

thats about it
AOA Team fah
Old 11th November, 2003, 05:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Soul99

that means when you were fiddling inside the computer you pulled out something on the floppy. check the ribon cable and power connector. If the floppy light is on all the time you've got the floppy connector on backwards.

I've read you posts again and have a theory.
are you fans spinning slowly at all?
It's possible your motherboard has an alarm feature that will attempt to shut down the system if it detects your fans have stopped and ommit a high low warning sound. Look for signs of any dust build up or dodgy fans.
you should be able to dis-able this feature in the bios if it is the problem.

Its a long shot.

i'd recomend re-installing windows again, you said that it will boot an installation of windows, a re-install will be a good stability test, it should install with no errors at all. If you do get problems then you've possibly got a hardware fault.

Try swapping out any and all the parts you can to try to isolate the problem.
AOA Team fah
Old 12th November, 2003, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul99
that means when you were fiddling inside the computer you pulled out something on the floppy. check the ribon cable and power connector. If the floppy light is on all the time you've got the floppy connector on backwards.

I've read you posts again and have a theory.
are you fans spinning slowly at all?
It's possible your motherboard has an alarm feature that will attempt to shut down the system if it detects your fans have stopped and ommit a high low warning sound. Look for signs of any dust build up or dodgy fans.
you should be able to dis-able this feature in the bios if it is the problem.

Its a long shot.

i'd recomend re-installing windows again, you said that it will boot an installation of windows, a re-install will be a good stability test, it should install with no errors at all. If you do get problems then you've possibly got a hardware fault.

Try swapping out any and all the parts you can to try to isolate the problem.
hey m8y thanks for the advice i will try out the floppy... the light is always on ive just got new cabling for it some cool UV reactent ones sdo i must have put it in the wrong way *woops* i have reinstalled windows and the lot is working fine.. well it was last nite ill do like you said withe the floppy cables and test... then hopefully ill be on here tonite..
the PC badges are wicked.. the free ones from here that is
20 GB HDD x2
250w psu

thats about it
AOA Team fah
Old 12th November, 2003, 02:13 PM

im gonna take one home from work.. an older floppy drive that is just to check if it is ded or not :P
20 GB HDD x2
250w psu

thats about it
AOA Team fah
Old 13th November, 2003, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmoe
hey m8y thanks for the advice i will try out the floppy... the light is always on ive just got new cabling for it some cool UV reactent ones sdo i must have put it in the wrong way *woops* i have reinstalled windows and the lot is working fine.. well it was last nite ill do like you said withe the floppy cables and test... then hopefully ill be on here tonite..
the PC badges are wicked.. the free ones from here that is

If the light on the floppy drive is continuously lit, then it means that you have plugged the cable into it backwards.
Make sure that the side of the cable with the red stripe is lined up with Pin 1 on the 34-pin floppy connector.
Old 13th November, 2003, 10:05 PM

yay.. or should i say NOOOO

lol thats that problem fixed....

if you look at my other post about ram i have solved thta problem

anyways i have fixed that prob and the floppy probe... but is there no end to my troubles!! :@ my HDD will not boot windows now and askes for boot disk.. but windows dont make em!! argh... im so sending this pc back to where it came from.. well without all my mods to it well my lights and cables anyway... ARGH!!!
20 GB HDD x2
250w psu

thats about it
AOA Team fah