AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st December, 2003, 01:34 AM

DVD Burn Failure

I have made some DVD movies. The first burn is on a DVDRW to see if it will all fit and run on the standalone player. If it is ok then I put it on a DVDR as they are expensive to experiment with.
I am having trouble with a DVD To DVD copy. The buffer empties and moments later I have a failed burn and an expensive coaster. This did not happen with my cd burner.
Software used: Nero6
Hardware used: Toshiba DVD-ROM LDW-4115
Lite-On DVDRW SD-M1612 Dualie
Any ideas on resolving this? It is worth noting that it copies just fine from the hard drive.
Old 11th December, 2003, 09:16 PM

I don't know if DVD Burners have buffer underrun protection, but if they don't you'll need to follow some guidelines.

1) If doing a Drive to Drive copy, be sure that the Burner and Reader are on seperate channels. This will let both use all the bandwith they need. Having them on the same channel decreases each drives performance since only one device on a channel can be accessed at a time.

2) Be sure that both drives have UDMA enabled. (Device Manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers). Go to the properties for each channel and make sure both your DVD drives are running UDMA instead of PIO. Once again, this will increase the performance of each drive, and give a better chance of not burning a coaster.

3) Don't run background tasks while burning. Taking up the CPU's time is not something you want to do on a drive without burn proof.

Hope those suggestions work
JigPu
Old 12th December, 2003, 02:43 AM

Thanks for the reply but no luck. Maybe I need to troulbeshoot Nero 6. I have had another problem with Nero as have many others.
Or maybe this comp is just getting tired.
Old 12th December, 2003, 03:03 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Yup, Nero6 has problems. You should check their website to make sure you have the latest updates. Also, you HAVE buffer underrun protection. I don't think anyone makes DVDRWs without it. Mine has 8meg cache so I don't see problems much. Make sure you are getting good through put on the DVDreader. Test it out by burning an ISO to your HDD, watch the speed to see if it ever dips. With a rewritable disk, read performance will vary greatly. Many DVDROMs can only read a DVDRW at 1 or 2x. If yours is like that, you will have to force your burner to go slow. Also, if you see a lot of dips, your background programs are messing you up, or your reader can't read rewritables well.
Old 12th December, 2003, 12:15 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

As Steve suggests, it sounds a bit like your DVD-ROM drive might be having to do a few retries in order to read the disk ok. This stops the flow of data from the DVD-ROM drive until it manages to read the data ok. Unfortunately, your DVD writer continues writing until it runs out of data, hence one coaster.

You might find it would work better to make two passes, first pass to copy the data to HDD, and the second pass to write the data from HDD to DVDR.
Old 12th December, 2003, 12:47 PM

This I did not think about "DVDROMs can only read a DVDRW at 1 or 2x". This is probably it.
I will try some more testing today.
As it is Aedan's approach works....it just takes longer.