AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th January, 2004, 01:37 AM

Send a message via ICQ to thehandler

Not good!

I just installed a new modem on my Win 98 SE drive to replace an old dog. When the system booted, it detected the modem as a "PCI graphics device". No matter what I did it wouldn't detect it as a modem. So when it prompted me for the driver. i steared it to the modem software in the CD rom. No go, wouldn't accept it. Tried the modem in some other rigs and had the same problem so I said screw it and sent it back.
Well, now my 98 drive is hosed. I can boot into my XP gaming drive just fine but not he Win 98 drive. I can boot into safe mode. I have gone into system config and unchecked evertything starting. I have turned on and off different combinations of Win INI and Sys INI, still no go. Pulled all the PCI cards, shut off everything I can think of. Scandisk, default settings in the bios, tried running registry checker, etc. I think there is an issue with the registry or the MBR. I just cant remember how in Win 98 that you can force the system to install and earlier registry. I also can't remember how to force the system to rebuild the MBR.
I thought it was fdisk\MBR from a dos prompt but that is not working. Anyone have any ideas about what might be causing this and how to proceed? thanks, Mike
PC-3200 2 gig. G.SKILL cas 2 with Heatspreaders.
HIS Radeon XP1650GT/512 GDDAN-R ICEQ RTL.
WD SATA Raptor 150GIG
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.
PSU 700W GameXStream RT OCZ700GXSSLI.
Thermaltake Xaser III V1000A Case.
21” Samsung LCD monitor.
LOGITECH THX Z-5300 5.1 surround.
XP-PRO OS.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th January, 2004, 01:27 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

You don't want to re-write the MBR to be honest - that's the part that provides the dual boot menu. If that was damaged, neither OS would boot.

It sounds like there's a problem with the device information stored in the registry. If you boot into safe mode and look in device manager, it'll show all the device information in there.

Now, this is all based on the limited information you've provided. You've just said that your Win98 doesn't boot, but you've not given any more information than that!
Old 13th January, 2004, 04:39 AM

thehandler, Win98se you say? Here is a link from my friend Milt:
article
It not only might save your dual boot setup, but print it out and keep it handy if you ever swap motherboards (Win98 only).Basically you delete the ENUM key in the registry and force Windows to re-find all your hardware. I once used this method to swap a SIS socket A motherboard --to a --nForce1 motherboard.
Bob
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th January, 2004, 02:49 PM

tried this. problem is that each time it rebuilds the enumerator keys, it re-loads whatever bad or corrupted driver over and over. it gets through several of the re-boots as it's loading but them finally it reaches that point where it loads the group of drivers that containes the problem and then boom, no boot. mike
WD SATA Raptor 150GIG
21” Samsung LCD monitor.
XP-PRO OS.
Old 13th January, 2004, 10:54 PM

Mike, do you have the drivers loaded onto the hard drive, and are you pointing/navigating to help the system find them ? Did you create the partitions for the 2 OS's from fdisk ? If you used fdisk you are well aware that you have to load the operating systems in the order (chronologically) of their release, as in win95, win98,winme,winxp. If you used a third party system manager like partition commander (one I use for this scenario-dualboot), you can just re-install your win98se system.It sounds like win98 is corrupted and/or possibly infected although it would be hard to think someone created a virus that wipes modem recognition, sort of like taking poison because you hate someone. Someone else here might have the answer, if you can afford it I would recommend that you purchase System commander, it also comes with Partition Commander and copy commander, about $60.00.
Bob
ps. lookhere
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah
Old 13th January, 2004, 11:31 PM

You can go into the boot menu on startup, and get the OS to log the drivers as it loads and inits them. That might help to give you an idea as to where it's falling over.
Old 13th January, 2004, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
You can go into the boot menu on startup, and get the OS to log the drivers as it loads and inits them. That might help to give you an idea as to where it's falling over.

Now that is a really good idea. I'm not sure exactly how you do that though. One other thing guys, I DO NOT have a dual boot system in the sense that I have two OS on the same drive. I have a RAID set up with XP on it on drive 0 and am having no problems with it.
Then I have a regular IDE PATA drive with Win 98 on it only on HD 1 This is my storage drive and used for all my e-mail and such. This is the problem drive.
Please describe further how to load and log these drivers one by one. thanks, MIke
WD SATA Raptor 150GIG
21” Samsung LCD monitor.
XP-PRO OS.
Old 14th January, 2004, 12:00 AM

Basically, when you come to start Win98, hold down the control key. You'll get a menu where you can choose Logged. This writes the details to a file Bootlog.txt in the root of the disk. (I'm not sure which one of your disks it'll write it to!)
Attached Thumbnails
Not good!-win98bootmenu.gif