AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th February, 2004, 11:43 PM

Unhappy Help PC won't post or boot up

Hello people,

I have a Epox 8KHA+ mother board.
1.4 ghz Athlon
512 DDR 2100 RAM
Geforce 3 TI200
40 G HD
WinTech 400 watt PS
CPU is not overclocked, Anyway here is what is happening. Everything was running fine for the last 2 and 1/2 years. Untill a few days ago I press power button. I hear fans running, but my red HD light stays on and PC won't boot up. Nothing on screen. I open case and see the post code on board is "00" . All fans are running but the north bridge fan, with a little push it starts running slowly. So, I reset RAM Vid card in slots, unplug my power cable to the motherboard and take out the battery to reset bios. Nothing the same happens, but now about every 5 to 10 times I try to power up I get the LED post codes strait to "FF" but mostly it goes Strait to "00". I sent for a new bios chip, because someone said it must be corupted or fried.

Any Ideas ??? Please....

Thanks RD
Old 6th February, 2004, 01:56 AM

Hi ,

Well if youre not even getting a post screen , then its the mobo and not a failed HD . Could it be the battery ? I`ve heard of them eventually dying . The fact the NB fan wasnt working sounds a bit ominous , possible it overheated . Have u tried any other RAM in the system ?

It`s a bit unclear from your message , after u reseated everything , were you able to post or boot into windows ?
Abit NF-7S Ver 2.0 Bios 23 , Barton2600 xp-m @2.60ghz(FSB 200@13.0x ) 1.95 VCore ,Asetek KT03 kit , 1GB Winbond PC3200 CAS 2.0, Nvidia FX5900 Ultra @478/908 ,2x80gb Seagate Barracuda V SATA RAID 0 ,Creative Audigy 2,Sandra PR3528,3Dmark v3.04 6106.WinXP Pro Sp1 5.1.2600. Prime95 stable.

New sys AMD SD3700 , 1GB OCZ 4200 Plat Ver 2.0 , DFI Nforce4 SLI-DR, MSI 6800GT, OCZ Modstream 520W , Audigy 2 ZS, all going to be frosted in a Mach2 GT Prommy :-)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th February, 2004, 02:21 AM

Unhappy Hi

After I resset eveything inccluding RAAM there waass the saaame as before, I aam not A guru when it comess to hardware sso aaany help is very much happy to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoprene
Hi ,

Well if youre not even getting a post screen , then its the mobo and not a failed HD . Could it be the battery ? I`ve heard of them eventually dying . The fact the NB fan wasnt working sounds a bit ominous , possible it overheated . Have u tried any other RAM in the system ?

It`s a bit unclear from your message , after u reseated everything , were you able to post or boot into windows ?
Old 6th February, 2004, 04:25 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdeal1962
After I resset eveything inccluding RAAM there waass the saaame as before, I aam not A guru when it comess to hardware sso aaany help is very much happy to me
I dunno if you've done this, but my general troubleshooting technique for problems like this is to remove EVERYTHING from the mobo including RAM and video. Unplug all cables except PSU and power switch. Now turn the thing on. At this point, you should AT LEAST get a POST code telling you that there is either no RAM or no video. If you can't get that far, then your mobo is toast. If you can POST at that point, start adding things in two at a time until the thing stops working. Use simple logic from there.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th February, 2004, 02:06 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

the fact that the NB fan does not turn on raises suspicion of a fried power supply.
Old 7th February, 2004, 06:13 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianMissile1
the fact that the NB fan does not turn on raises suspicion of a fried power supply.
Actually, he said that it runs slowly if he push starts it. That leads me to suspect a dying fan, and a dead north bridge.
Old 8th February, 2004, 12:27 AM

Angry

Had every thing out again and I mean everything except CPU....lol NO Ram All drives unpluged and every card out of box. I got one long beep. Put things back and got an code "7F" and a post screen. I didn't have keyboard hooked up yet so I held down power switch to shut down then plugged in Keyboard and it booted to "FF" after running thru several set -up codes. Post said that my CPU setting have changed so I enter set-up screen saved default and windose 2000 started up. Said Imy sound card was missed try to re-installed it. OK at this point I had soundcard out of box. Then after about 30 sec it went to stop error blue screen. I shuut down again holding in power button. Installed sound card and LAN card. powered up and now I"m back to nothing.....( I thought maybe is was power supply beacuse I took out the sound and LAN card and still nothing. Well, just installed a new Antech 430 watt power supply. Same frick'in thing.
I need a beer at this point hell maybe a bottle of whiskey would be better!!!!

RD will be drunk by the time you read this!!!!!!
Old 8th February, 2004, 01:16 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Test the board outside of the case. It's the only way to be sure. Leave the RAM and CPU in, set your board on a non conductive surface, you should be able to post to "FF".
My thinking is you may have shorted the board somewhere on your case, loose screw what ever....Besides then you half way to an RMA should it go there.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic