AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

View Poll Results: Can / will you help me figure out how to fix my monitor?
Yes I can / will. 4 57.14%
Yes I can / will. 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th January, 2002, 05:03 AM
eobard

Dying monitor

Who here is willing and able to help me repair my monitor when, and I don't mean if, it blows out on me?? The colors are shifting into the blue spectrum every so often. The first time it lasted for 3 minutes or so. Since then I've lowered the refresh rate and de-overclocked the vid card but it has happened 4 times in the last two days, 3 times just for a half a second and once for about 5 seconds. I've checked the cable, it's good.

I took electronics in high school and know a snot full of theory but not enough to dope out the solution myself. When the time comes I'll be willing to run down schematics and such but if someone can help me figure what needs to be replaced or if its worth fixing I'd be appreciative. So lemme know if you have the requisite skill to help me fix it when it goes. Thanks.
Old 14th January, 2002, 04:50 PM
Banned

Two words:

Canned Air

Old 14th January, 2002, 05:05 PM
eobard

I don't get it. how would too much dust inside the shell cause the problem I'm describing??? Or is that a modern way of saying [MONTY PYTHON] I fart in your general direction [/MONTY PYTHON]???
Old 14th January, 2002, 06:58 PM
Mr Swede

It sounds to me it could be some magnetism near your monitor.
Have you tried to move it to another place for awhile and see if it still happens?
Old 14th January, 2002, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
I don't get it. how would too much dust inside the shell cause the problem I'm describing??? Or is that a modern way of saying [MONTY PYTHON] I fart in your general direction [/MONTY PYTHON]???
Maybe both

Heat does stranger things to electronics.

Think Mr. Swede might be on to something with the magnetism thing...
Old 14th January, 2002, 11:04 PM
eobard

I popped the shell, it's slightly dusty inside but not a layer of dust or anything like that. As for magnets I don't have anything like that near my monitor. I do have a pair of stereo speakers not too far away but they are magnetically shielded. The monitor is now constantly blueie-green. I played with the settings on the monitor and I'm pretty sure it's because the red isn't displaying at all. The red is dead, it's not because the blue or green are in overdrive. Does that mean it's the picture tube that's gone??

***edit: the red came back just now, it was gone for about an hour but... I dunno what the hell to think anymore.

Last edited by eobard; 14th January, 2002 at 11:17 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th January, 2002, 12:53 AM

I had a monitor display similar symptoms.

The red gun would work intermitently or wouldnt be at full power.

Eventually It just stopped working and I was left with a Blue/Green picture only.

I doubt you will be able to fix it yourself unless the canned air works or you find a loose connection or something obvious inside (unlikely)

On a side note. My dad just put his new mobile (silver motarola thing) ontop of my monitor and as it checked the network the monitor had a fit, I worry for my fathers brains.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th January, 2002, 06:29 AM
eobard

Could the problem be caused by too much dryness? What do you all think??
Old 15th January, 2002, 11:30 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
Could the problem be caused by too much dryness? What do you all think??
The problem is unlikely to be caused by too much dryness.

The symptoms you are describing sound like a failing driver for one of the guns. This may be the transistor mounted at the back of the CRT tube, or it may be the driver on the main board.

Either way around, if you try to fix it yourself, you're likely to encounter high voltages. The driving transistor operates at over 200v, so any mistake can be fatal. The CRT itself will be operating over 21 thousand volts, and may well hold this charge for a long time after you turn the monitor off. At this voltage, you do not need to come into contact with charged parts, as it'll happily jump a fair distance.

Be very very careful. One rule of high voltage electronics is to always have one arm behind your back. That way, it's difficult to touch a high voltage component with one hand and a ground with another. Such a move would be instantly fatal.

AidanII
Old 15th January, 2002, 01:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to ItHuNkPuNk

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII

Such a move would be instantly fatal.

AidanII
SNAP * CRACKLE ~ PLOP!

-another fatal tubing
Old 15th January, 2002, 03:59 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Y'know, I'm going to offer two distinctly lo-tech solutions to this: maybe one of them will work, who knows?

I've seen the intermittent colour effect on a few monitors now, and all were suffering from the same problem: the monitor cable was knackered! Afflicted monitors would shift into either red, green or blue depending on whatever caprice took the cable, and stay there until some microscopic movement remade the connection.

Try this: while everything's connected and powered up, wobble the monitor lead (gently) just before the gfx card connector, and again just before it disappears into the back of your monitor. If it all goes '70s psychadelic, then your problem is a 20minute soldering job (new cable time).

If not, then chances are something horribly high-voltage is dying, at which point, I'd suggest the use of a large and heavy hammer
Old 15th January, 2002, 06:57 PM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaitain

Try this: while everything's connected and powered up, wobble the monitor lead (gently) just before the gfx card connector, and again just before it disappears into the back of your monitor. If it all goes '70s psychadelic, then your problem is a 20minute soldering job (new cable time).
That was the first thing I tried. The cable is good. I'm getting to the stage where the next thing to do to fix it is to scout prices on a new one.
Old 16th January, 2002, 12:43 AM

The problem is most likely as AidanII said, it is an intermittent driver transistor.

It could be a bad solder joint or the transistor is going south, worse it could be your CRT going bad.

Unless it is a large expensive monitor, it is not worth fixing and you should just replace it.

In any case be very careful if you don't know what you're doing , any mistake could KILL YOU!
15 gig IBM 7200 rpm
Yamaha 8x4x24 CD burner
Acer 32x CDrom
3 Com NIC
GeForce2 MX-200 64m
20 inch Sony Trinitron
Old 16th January, 2002, 05:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

What type of monitor is it? Mostlikeley the discoleration and loss of colours is because of a high magetic interfierance- like high powerd sub sittin under ur desk- or speakers or even your compuer- a drive would not cause this problem- do u have another computer in another room that u can test it on?
If its realy dead- i have a bunch of extra 17inches and 15inches u could have/use one :-)
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 16th January, 2002, 06:05 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by Spyder462
What type of monitor is it? Mostlikeley the discoleration and loss of colours is because of a high magetic interfierance- like high powerd sub sittin under ur desk- or speakers or even your compuer- a drive would not cause this problem- do u have another computer in another room that u can test it on?
If its realy dead- i have a bunch of extra 17inches and 15inches u could have/use one :-)
Spyder

The brand is KTX, which according to what little I've been able to find on the web is a company that no longer exists. No sub woofer's here and my stereo speakers are magnetically shielded. The only magnetic source that's new is my case fans. I've got one at the front bottom and one at the back top. They're both 92mm but the one at the back has half the cfm's that the one in the front has so I switched them so the greater cfm's would be closer to the heatsink and hopefully move the air out more efficiently, and I did get a 1c drop. Could something as minor as a 92mm, 45cfm fan create enough of a field to screw with my monitor's red from a distance of at least 20" away???
Old 16th January, 2002, 06:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

KTX is a brand of CTX whos monitors are made by CTL-- it must be old!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A fan would not dot that- and try it on another compouter if u can!
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 16th January, 2002, 06:36 AM
eobard

When the problem first came up I thought it was only about 2 1/2 years old but thinking on it some more I think it's 4 years old, maybe 5. As for other machines I've got two to test it on next time the problem comes up. I already tested my 14" on my main machine when the problem came up and the 14" ran fine. When I plugged the 17" back in the problem was still there so I know it's not the computer or vid card's fault.
Old 3rd February, 2002, 12:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to Cyberey66

I think you might be beat. I had a monitor do that to me. The only solution is a few swift hits to the side after having it run for a while.

"skin and tragedy are the ways to attract a crowd"
Old 3rd February, 2002, 12:51 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

watch the transistors! 21KV will jump a mile! gave someone a static shock that was about that put finger to within an inch of em and arched! illuminated the room blue, even with the overhead neons on!

thank god there was little current or we'd both have fried! just leave the monitor unplugged for a LONG time before opening it

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 3rd February, 2002, 01:10 AM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

Or insulate yourself, plug in a wire to the earth pin on the power socket and probe away till you discharge it

Note: dont.. please dont do this.. it can hurt really badly.. especially when it sets you on fire

on a lighter note.. the charge inside the monitor most probably wont be instantly fatal if you put it across your chest... it will however knock you out and stop your heart.. but nothing that can't be remedied with a bit of CPR... put it across your groin and it can make you impotent, across your head and you'll most likely kill yourself instantly

it depends on the design of the monitor.. i've seen a few with 3 driver stages.. not sure how, but each one carried 1/3 of the charge

i'm no monitor technician though... just be careful