AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th February, 2004, 11:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to e_storm

rig will not boot windows

Hey all,

Been quite some time since I've been here, good to see everything is still here and running well.

I have a rig that won't boot up past the windows splash screen, this is a somewhat intermittent problem that has been happening for probably a year now. I restart it a few times and it finally boots up but lately it has been not booting even after 7+ restarts.

hardware is as follows:
Epox 8K7A+
512 mb crucial
AMD 1700+
Running win2k pro

Any ideas?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th February, 2004, 11:45 PM
AOA Staff

When did you last do a fresh install of windows on the machine?
Old 27th February, 2004, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
When did you last do a fresh install of windows on the machine?
not sure, probably been 6 months+. I'm thinking hardware of some sort or possibly a board driver since I have 2000 installed on a few other computers and never have this problem. Just not sure where to start yet. One unusual thing about the system is that it has raid and IDE on it. I used to run the hard drive off the IDE port but when i started having this problem a year or so ago i thought it might be the IDE controller or driver so I moved the HD over to the raid port. Now I boot with the hard drive connected to the raid port, but not raid striped like you may normally have it.

I also replaced the hard drive twice a while ago thinking that might have been the problem, but the problem came back still.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th February, 2004, 08:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I've had problems in the past with Trident video cards on the AGP bus doing exactly this kind of thing. In my case it was on an ITOX CB60-BX mobo (NOT EPOX). However, it might be the same type of problem you are having. In my case, I had to change video cards. In your case, you might be able to simply uninstall and reinstall the video drivers.

Will the machine come up reliably in safe mode?

Edit: It was a Gigabyte GA-7IXE4, not an ITOX mobo

Last edited by Gizmo; 27th February, 2004 at 08:46 PM.
Old 2nd March, 2004, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
I've had problems in the past with Trident video cards on the AGP bus doing exactly this kind of thing. In my case it was on an ITOX CB60-BX mobo (NOT EPOX). However, it might be the same type of problem you are having. In my case, I had to change video cards. In your case, you might be able to simply uninstall and reinstall the video drivers.

Will the machine come up reliably in safe mode?

Edit: It was a Gigabyte GA-7IXE4, not an ITOX mobo
I had not tried running it in safe mode but I believe I've done that before and at times it had trouble with that too.

What I did recently was to turn on boot logging, it usually boots up fine when I do that. Very odd, but then again this board/video card combo has acted somewhat odd from day 1.