AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st March, 2004, 11:01 PM

Won't Boot

W2K, 2 P 3 666's, 512 Ram, AmptronM790MR Dual Socket 370 Mobo, AMIBIOS dated 11/10/2000 S

I loaned this machine to my sister, when she got home with it it wouldn't boot, I'm guessing it was bumped.

When started it boots to the B&W screen that says "Starting Windows" where it scrolls across the bottom and then reboots. It constantly reboots no matter how long you try. It beeps once which is normal.

I have tried another power supply, video card, CMOS battery and monitor. I have disconnected everything but the video and HD. I have pulled and reset the Ram. But it still won't boot.

I didn't pull and reset the CPU's, I didn't want to do that if I didn't have to. Does anyone have any ideas? I suspect a bad mobo, but I hope its something else.

Thanks,

Sherm
Old 1st March, 2004, 11:08 PM

Won't Boot

I just checked the beep codes, 1 short beep says:1 short DRAM refresh failure The programmable interrupt timer or programmable interrupt controller has probably failed

I guess this means a bad mobo. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

Sherm
Old 1st March, 2004, 11:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I've gotten something like this when it can't find my hard drives, today in fact! A loose connection perhaps? Molex plugs SUCK big time if you ask me!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd March, 2004, 12:00 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Does the beep come while you are looking at the POST screen, or some time after?

For most machines, 1 short beep is normal during POST. It just means that things worked correctly. In addition, if the POST were detecting a failure, I imagine it would not try to boot at all. The fact that you are getting the Windows logo suggests to me that you are in fact passing POST and doing the initial boot.

Have you tried booting in SAFE mode? Try Pressing F8 as soon as you see the Windows Screen.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd March, 2004, 03:28 AM

I think the problem is a bad switch. What's the best way to jump the switch? From studying the switch design, it appears the switch is closed to start the machine, but then pops open.

Can I cut the wires and touch them, or should I pull the plug, tape the wires together and plug it in. Or can I simply jump the pins on the mobo?

Thanks,

Sherm
Old 3rd March, 2004, 04:13 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The switch is SPST N/O (Single pole, single throw, normally open). Yes, all you have to do is pull the connector from the mobo header and jump the header pins directly using anything that conducts electricity. Just don't short the wrong pins....
Old 3rd March, 2004, 08:40 PM

I shorted the pins and it didn't start. Using a second PSU didn't help either. I guess it's the mobo, any other ideas?

Thanks,

Sherm
Old 3rd March, 2004, 10:57 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Sounds like the bump may have somehow created a short. Try testing out of your case with just RAM and CPU. Hookup your PSU and try to short it switch pins again.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 7th March, 2004, 03:25 AM

I pulled the mobo and it runs fine out of the box. When I put it back in the box it won't run. I pulled a HD from another machine and substituted it in this machine and it ran ok, so either I need a new HD or I need to reinstall W2K.

I have no idea how to reinstall W2K when the machine won't run. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Thanks,

Sherm
Old 7th March, 2004, 04:57 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

If the machine runs just fine out of the box, but won't finish the boot when in the box, then you've GOT to have a short of some kind somewhere.

Was the HD in or out of the box when the machine booted?
Old 7th March, 2004, 05:09 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Look for a wrongly placed mounting stud under your mother board, one gave me fits once!!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 7th March, 2004, 05:26 PM

I found a screw under the mobo and thought this was the problem. But it still refused to boot. I put another HD in the machine and it booted ok. This tells me the problem is the original HD.

I put the bad HD in another machineas a primary slave. It was recognized in the boot up display and in the bios, but doesn't show up in explorer or My Computer. I'm not sure what this means. I'm debating buying a new HD, but why does it show up on the boot screen and in bios and then doesn't show in explorer?

Thanks,

Sherm
Old 7th March, 2004, 06:01 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsherm112
I found a screw under the mobo and thought this was the problem. But it still refused to boot. I put another HD in the machine and it booted ok. This tells me the problem is the original HD.

I put the bad HD in another machineas a primary slave. It was recognized in the boot up display and in the bios, but doesn't show up in explorer or My Computer. I'm not sure what this means. I'm debating buying a new HD, but why does it show up on the boot screen and in bios and then doesn't show in explorer?

Thanks,

Sherm
If you are running Win2K or WinXP, you'll have to let Disk Administrator recognize the drive before you can see it in Windows.
Old 7th March, 2004, 10:40 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I just went all thought this! A bad Molex plug AND a brand new BAD fan adapter AND a harddrive that may be bad, just keep moving stuff around until it works, less than scientific I know!!

I'll test the harddrive on another machine when I get the chance.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur