AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > CRASHED!

CRASHED! A topic for SEVERE and immediate Hardware and Operating System FAILURES. We will try to get you up again. NOT for Optimization questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th March, 2004, 12:24 AM

No beeps, no video, fans run

Have a Gigabyte GA-7ZXE, 1GHz Duron, 1 stick of PC133 SDRAM. no OC'ing.
At power up, fans turn on, power on indicator lights.
That's it.
Have removed all boards, disconnected drive.
Same thing.
Power off by holding in button works.
When I remove the ram, then i get 3 beeps.
Tried moving ram to other slots, no change.
Removed battery, no change. (don't find any CMOS reset)

Suggestions ?
Old 7th March, 2004, 02:36 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Have you got another stick of ram you can try? Or can you put that stick in another machine? It sounds like either your ram or your mobo is toast....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th March, 2004, 03:01 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I get the same thing with I try a bad CPU.
Try reseating the CPU and HSF. Also, visually inspect the CPU to look for damage... crack, chip or scorch mark.
Old 7th March, 2004, 11:15 PM

I did pull the CPU, it "looked" ok, no visual evidence of overheating, cleaned the heatsink, used new paste, remounted it. No change.

I only have the one stick of ram, and haven't been able to locate anyone that does. So, I'm at that point of should I order another stick or not. If that's high on the suspect list, I will, but I'd hate to put more money into a dead system if that's not the problem.

Prior to it's going totally dead, it did act flackey, would run some, then hang. Then it would only come up once in a while, now, not at all.

If it were mobo, is it likely that it would beep when no memory is installed or that the power off when holding in the power sw for 5 secs works ? (since that's a momentary sw connected to the mobo)
Old 8th March, 2004, 12:32 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The power off after 5 seconds thing is actually controlled by the onboard keyboard Super I/O chip, I expect. In other words, you could take the CPU and RAM out of the board and you'd still be able to power it off.

As for the memory thing, I have a dead Abit NF7-S right now that does almost exactly the same thing. With no RAM installed, I get the one long beep telling me that there is no memory installed. With RAM installed, I get nothing but fans and pretty winky blinkies from the on-board LEDs.

I don't know what the three beeps code means for your board, but it certainly sounds similar.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th March, 2004, 03:26 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Do a visual on your mobo too. If it is an old system, look for leaky or bubbling caps. If you find any, time for a new mobo.
Old 8th March, 2004, 05:52 PM

mobo looks fine, no evidence of damage.
I've ordered another stick of memory, hope that's the problem.
Old 11th March, 2004, 11:21 PM

Received a new memory stick.
That solved this problem, am now able to boot and it runs fine.
Old 11th March, 2004, 11:28 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

GLAD to hear it!
Old 11th March, 2004, 11:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Postaldave Send a message via AIM to Postaldave

it seems the gigabyte boards have this problem alot

I've seen solutions now for this ranging from power supplies not supplying enough 12v .... to bad ram.... well not bad but rather incompatable..... gigabyte is picky it seems.... my board i just got is doing the same thing but it's due to my overclocks... if i overclock it too high it turns on and just runs without any video...
Phaustus - 60 Troll Shaman
AOA Team fah